1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,063
    Last night: saw, finished, and enjoyed that 1979 Columbia Pictures film The China Syndrome that had Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon and Michael Douglas, from Indicator/Powerhouse Films' region-free Blu from England...

chinasyndrome1.jpg

chinasyndrome2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,679
    Tonight was "Trash Night" so I decided to watch the "worst film ever made" by a pre-Oscar Halle Berry, as she confessed. "The Rich Man´s Wife". It´s like a missing episode of "Melrose Place", or rather a spin-off with the Vanessa Williams character recast with the extremely beautiful Halle. The males here a total douches, and she clearly steals the whole movie, especially when she assumes she can be a badass and begins to act as such. The over-the-top score by John Frizzell also steals the movie, for worst. It´s not that he wants to homage the classics: the orchestra seems to be hiding behind the bushes...It´s fun anyway, though very predictable to be honest. If Gwyneth Paltrow had done this as planned, it would have become another "Hush" minus Jessica Lange...

This clip is better than the movie, go figure...!​

3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    Last night I saw "Death Wish" - the 2018 version starring Bruce Willis. It was pretty good;I enjoyed it more than the original with Charles Bronson. Bruce Willis has to be one of the hardest working actors in the business. IMDb listed him as having made 6 movies in 2019. I first saw him in Moonlighting - a show that must have had scripts as thick as a telephone book. I never would have guessed he would have become the mega star he's become in heroic action movies as well as dramas.

He's got to be the be the best action movie star of the last few decades. It helps that his competition - Schwarzenegger and Stallone, although they've been in some great movies, can't act nearly as well as Bruce Willis. Schwarzenegger was smart to take the roles he did in the Terminator movies because he is the ideal actor to play a Terminator. The role highlights his strengths and hides his weaknesses. Terminator II was amazing. It's my favorite science fiction/action movie ever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,584
    Netflix has listed MIDSOMMAR and I desperately want to see it but it's not available yet. So this is the last movie I didn't watch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,597
    Eddie the Eagle which was on telly last night.

6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,077

• Like Like x 1
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +8,168
  8. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,880
    Carousel (1956)

I enjoyed this film more than I thought. I thought this would be a bland musical but this had a far more gritty storyline than I expected with a flawed main character who was a wife beater and a mugger. Some of the dance routines went on too long but the choreography was excellent and some of the songs were good.

[​IMG]

9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,584
    upload_2020-2-16_13-49-8.png
    A biopic of one of Holland's best-selling pop/chanson singers, André Hazes. It's not my kind of music but in the late 70s and especially the 80s his music was always there & everywhere and I don't think it ever bothered me.
    I thought I knew everything about him and that this movie would be a celebratory semi-musical to please the fans.
    It turned out to be a bitter and dark drama with a few plot twists that would have been great for a fictional story.
    Initially, I just wanted to watch 10 minutes of something uninteresting before I went to bed, but no, of course I couldn't stop.

Just to showcase the über-schmaltz of his songs, this video is about a lonely, depressing Christmas on the music of The Day Before You Came (of all ABBA songs!)

But the masses loved it.

Over 6 million people watched the memorial ceremony in 2004.

So, all in all, this movie was a good choice, but not as a "the last thing to watch today".

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,077

I love how universal the title is. Even though I don't speak Dutch, it's self-explanatory what it says.

11. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,584
    Indeed.
    I wondered if someone would ask "what does the title mean?" but it doesn't always take a whole lot of imagination to translate Dutch into English (or vice versa).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mel O'Drama

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,077
    Mind you, I'd have struggled to translate "Bioscoop" out of context. It sounds like something a gynaecologist might use.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Re-watched Hush with Jessica Lange and Gwyneth Paltrow on Netflix yesterday -

14. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,584
    [​IMG]

All these wonderful Harry Potter style movies make me wish I could watch them through the eyes of a child because at that age people are still developing their imagination.
    I wonder what would have impressed me the most.
    As an adult I also see the things I don't like: the clichés, the poo & pee humour, the cynical "eye-roll" dialogue that doesn't suit child characters at all, let alone children from the 1950s.
    Nevertheless, the magic looks good, and I guess that's good enough for me.

15. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I totally relate to this. I remember seeing movies like the first Superman (with Christopher Reeve), Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Poltergeist and being enthralled by them. It's not the same when I see comparable movies today. Seeing things through innocent eyes is a wonderful experience.
    I'd also like to think movies were better in the 70's and 80's, but every generation says that.

16. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,584
    And...in the category Be Careful What You Wish For...
    [​IMG]

What a stupid movie!
    "Slow burn" in movie doesn't mean you have to show every struggling, boring conversation or pagan ritual.
    You can't buy suspense by extending the movie beyond its justification. It is soooo long and yet they managed to tell me absolutely nothing. I feel nothing.
    I have no problem with copycat movies, and there were a few things that could have worked, but it's all buried under scenes and scenes and more ridiculous scenes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,880
    Mulholland Drive (2001)
    I really liked the first 2 hours of this film which seemed very original, mysterious, intriguing and gripping. However, the last 20 mins were like a completely different film as it became a bit more weird and confusing and completely changed my understanding of everything I had watched up until that point. I'm still not sure I understand what was going on at the end.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,584
    [​IMG]
    It's exactly what you'd expect it to be.

19. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,154
    I think there were great movies for kids in my generation (I was a kid in the 1970s) and I could still watch some of them and enjoy them, but nothing like the way I did when I was 6 years old.

I remember this being one of my favorite movies at the time (1975). Some of you may remember this.

Unknown-2.jpeg

20. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,204
    Live and Let Die.

Swami

• Like Like x 1