What was your opinion of Clayton Farlow?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by lbf522, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Gary's reaction to his father's death on Knots Landing was interesting. A mixture of love, respect, "why did he have to be so bloody harsh?", and "he's out of my system now". Gary saw Jock as a flawed human being in many ways, not like his other sons.

Bobby was like "Oh, daddy is dead. Terrible, but it was a great relationship I had with him. Pull yourself together J.R. and Ray". J.R. was like "Daddy is dead. There's nothing left worth living for, so why bother caring?". Ray was similar to J.R., but took much longer to pull himself out of the funk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Clayton was well written early on. The character then became woefully under utilised once he married Ellie. I never found his fits of rage very convincing. There was something slightly twee and musical theatre-ish in his attempts to rebuke JR since he always seemed to bellow ‘Jay Ahhhh. ‘

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Is that really why you found his rage unconvincing, because of the way he pronounced "J.R"? Granted the accent with which he pronounced "J.R." sounded more British than Texan, but while that make his being a Texan unconvincing, I don't see how it makes his rage unconvincing.

I think they had an incredibly difficult task ahead of them when looking for the actor who would marry Miss Ellie after Jock died because there would obviously be comparisons to Jock for any man marrying Miss Ellie and living in Southfork. There was only one Jock Ewing and if they'd tried to make Ellie's second husband a copy of the Jock character, the audience would have hated it for being disrespectful to Jim Davis's memory among other reasons. So I'm glad they chose a very different type of character who was still tough and successful in his own way. As long as they were dead set on having Miss Ellie re-marry, I'm glad they cast Howard Keel for the part. He did a very good job and I liked Clayton.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,793
    Interesting observation and I agree that Bobby, JR and Gary did handle it that way. Then as for Ray he also had the added complications of just having found out that Jock was his father like 1-2 years prior to his death so he also ended up feeling cheated out of having a father. :(
    At least JR grew up knowing that Jock was his dad, which Ray didn't. He only came to Southfork at age 15 and it took him until he was in his 30s until he learnt he was Jock's son.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    There were so many unexplored story lines that would have showcased Howard Keel and the character of Clayton Farlow. Here's one that I think would have been fun:

Ewing Oil faces it's biggest threat yet. J.R. might finally be outmatched and is in real danger of the entire company being lost. In desperation, J.R. mortgages Southfork as he's done before. But this time, there may be no way out.

Miss Ellie and Clayton realize that everything could be lost, including Southfork, so Clayton teams up with J.R. to fight back against all the people closing in on them.

What happens over this storyline, is two things. Clayton realizes that when things are desperate enough, J.R.'s dirty tricks are sometimes necessary just for survival. Clayton comes to realize that Ewing Oil (and Southfork) wouldn't exist if not for some of the necessary dirty tricks played by Jock and then J.R. He grudgingly admits that those double dealings were sometimes a necessary evil.

Secondly, they need to close a very big deal-- one that is critical to saving Ewing Oil. This important deal is secured using nothing but Clayton's good name and reputation. J.R. just cannot believe that the people involved were impervious to bribes, threats, and blackmail. But when Clayton reached out and asked, using only his good name and reputation, they were willing to make the deal.

Now, it's J.R.s turn to admit to learning something. He admires the fact that Clayton's many years of honesty and straight forward dealing is what actually secured the critical deal. He begins to see that Bobby might have been right all that time.

At the end of the storyline, J.R. and Clayton are successful in fighting off the threat, and they meet for a drink at the Ewing Oil offices. Clayton has an envelope for J.R. which contains information that could be used against J.R. in the future and he plans to tell J.R. about it. After their victory drink, they walk past Sly. J.R. smiles at Sly, with a smile that lets her know he still has a few dirty tricks up his sleeve just in case he needs to use them against Clayton later on.

And Clayton smiles at Sly on his way out as well. We wonder why until we see Clayton quietly tuck the envelope inside his jacket pocket without telling J.R. about it.

So. . . Clayton learned a thing or two from J.R after all.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I was being flippant. And I now feel appropriately chastened.

7. Taylor The Red-Nosed Guzzler Jr.

Taylor The Red-Nosed Guzzler Jr. Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +654
    pronunciation's important, though. Magically becoming at least 10 years younger and a couple of inches shorter with a completely different face is one thing... but would Jock Ewing ever in a trillion years pronounce 'business' like this?

(at the 0:32 mark... it trimmed off the second marker when I pasted the link and added to the post)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Michelle's Feast of Stevens

Michelle's Feast of Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,988

Clayton at his best!

9. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +507
    I love the way that everybody else is frozen in shock for a few minutes, but good old Jeremy Wendell doesn't even wait before Parmalee is all the way off the stage before he approaches him to make a deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. retrosonic

retrosonic Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The casting of Howard Keel, a graduate of the old Hollywood Studio system (as was Barbara Bel Geddes) as Clayton Farlow was, in its own way, as brilliant as casting Character actor Jim Davis as Jock. I thought Keel did a fantastic job with the role assigned to him. His character could not be another Jock, that would not have been accepted by Dallas fans. He had to be his own character, a man as tough as Jock, but much different in other ways.

Clayton Farlow was a tough, complex, but empathetic man. I thought Keel played him very, very well and made the character his own.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought Clayton was a very good character. Did they even mention Clayton once in Dallas on TNT?

12. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Not even once. Remember that the "Duck Team" skipped from "Who Done It?" straight to Season 10 where they paid more attention to the mummy and next, Season 11, to the McKays. That was what the Cider House considered the most interesting thing from "Dallas".

13. Jock's Ghost

Jock's Ghost Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Worthless. He made Ellie even more so... that shit with them running around solving mysteries.... ugh.
    I always felt that Clayton should have married Sue Ellen when she divorced JR the first time. She inherits his money, he drops dead of a heart attack, she drinks herself into a stupor, gets swindled out of her money... go back to JR!

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Jock's Ghost

Jock's Ghost Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, when he died.
    not true. He was mentioned and we saw his grave.

15. Via The Elf

Via The Elf Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    One of the best casting decisions the Lorimar produced Dallas ever made.

howard.jpg

Rest In Peace Howard Keel. April 13, 1919 – November 7, 2004

• Like Like x 1