What were the weak points in the DYNASTY stars' acting?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    ...that is, aside from the systemic Static Acting Directive implemented with Season 3 -- if you can distinguish between them.

I'll go first:

Linda Evans -- as the series droned on, she began to bark her lines neurotically; she would frenetically shake her head when she talked in a kind of automated faux devastated manner.

The Cure: just breathe in and relax

Joan Collins -- she would begin a line with vim and vigor but seemed to lose focus before the end of the sentence (if she didn't have this quirk, she might have been seen as a great actress).

The Cure: just recall Shirley Jones rebuffed your romantic advances

Heather Locklear -- initially had elocution problems until Alexis paid to have her adenoids out

The Cure: have Tommy Lee remove those adenoids in his own special way

Jack Coleman -- delivered all his lines through his teeth, temples perpetually pinched

The Cure: take a purgative

Helmut Berger -- mumbled his lines like a gay corpse

The Cure: rent yourself out to Club Necrophile where Marlon Brando can inject you with his seminal talent

Ali MacGraw -- always attempted an alluring and mysterious demeanor while never managing to deliver even one of her lines convincingly.

The Cure: get shot in the head in an obscure European principality.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
  2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Just on a side note. If Joan was just showing a little bit of leg she could have sued Angelina Jolie for plagiarism.
    angelinajolieleg-490x766.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    What does everyone think of John Forsythe's acting? Cause I'm watching a few of his sixties movies and some of it is not that great. But I don't remember having an issue with it while watching Dynasty.

4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    Sometimes I thought he was pretty shit to be honest. I mean I like him and he's charismatic and all that but some of his acting was bad I think. Probably more to do with the restrictions that he and Linda put on themselves as far as story and what they could do on the show. They limited themselves to being very dull. That became repetitive and boring and doesn't exactly stretch an actor. They sort of painted themselves into a corner. His "Damn it! We're Carringtons!" stuff comes to mind, or sometimes where he has to deliver a big speech.

As far as Joan goes, I think she was awful at any sort of vulnerability. And depending on the co-star her displays of affection could also be pretty unconvincing. However she was more or less perfect as Alexis as her weakness' as an actress sort of somehow seemed to fall in line with Alexis' insincerity.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    That's precisely right: Joan's unconvincing moments just read as Alexis' attempts to affect emotion disingenuously in order to manipulate somebody. So, weirdly, it worked.

Just as I tend to view Charlene Tilton's neurotic bad acting as a manifestation of Lucy's neurosis. So it also worked, if not quite as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,439
    And Bliss Colby, who complained that she was useless and not interesting enough. I could never dislike her after that.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    Only one who ever had Frankie's number too except for Sable. So I can never dislike her either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    That's why I've always had an issue with John being cast as Blake Carrington. Nothing against John - I to liked the bloke - but he couldn't really do anger. He lacked that certain aspect required to pull off being ruthless like Jim Davis did as Jock, or Larry as JR in the early seasons of Dallas. But these are just my thoughts.

9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    R U serious?? I thought that was what Forsythe did best: cold as ice anger.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Yes, I'm serious. But in fairness (to me) it's my interpretation of how John was playing Blake Carrington. I will agree he could play "cold" and perhaps this should have been explored rather than have him attempt some ruthless oil tycoon type. However, as the series continued Blake just became a punching bag for Alexis as she continued to storm the Carrington mansion, uninvited, and the Carrington Office, uninvited just so she could display her latest Nolan Miller creation and wig.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    In the beginning, Forsythe was totally believable as a cold and ruthless oil tycoon, almost a mob boss.

Later, yes, he just became a flustered foil for Alexis.

I didn't always like his attempts a emotionality though. His courtroom speech in S1 when he's trying to cry was in many ways excruciating.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    It's why I enjoyed Dynasty in those first couple of seasons. It's what set itself apart from Dallas and it needed to since Dallas had a head start and was already on the path to greatness. Others have argued the first season was slow and tedious however it helped in establishing characters, unlike today where they're shoved down our throats at breakneck speed.

Now it's been years since I've watched Dynasty but from memory the Carrington family all appeared cold and distant. Blake was busy building his empire. Fallon was brattish and aloof and poor Steven was...well...confused.

It's hard to explain in words but despite the Carrington family surrounded by wealth and lived in a mansion the series felt claustrophobic, and that was a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    Totally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    As glamorous as Linda was on Dynasty I still believe she would have been a great fit for Dallas. She always looked at ease in more western style roles but could glam up when the occasion called for it. Why didn't the producers of Dallas give a shout out to Linda after Dynasty finished in 1989? I'll agree ratings for the big supersoaps were down but this could have been a major coup for Dallas. The 2 Linda's;
    Linda.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,439
    I like Heather Locklear's first voice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,306
    I think one of the problems with shows that go on for years is that the actors start overruling the directors based on the "I know this character better than you" principle. In season 1, Al Corley and John Forsythe have an amazing scene where Steven says "it is not always easy being your son" and Blake replies, "you know it's not always easy being your father." They deliver their lives with a mix of vulnerability and pent-up resentment toward one another, so clearly Forsythe had it in him to play that role perfect with needed nuances. Same for Evans and Collins in season 2. Other differences aside with latter seasons (the writing, the camp guidelines etc.) Forsythe, Evans, and Collins especially fully subscribed to the "I know how to play this better than anyone" mentality. What actors and actresses think they deliver in this mode is consistency. What they actually deliver is complacency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,439
    Well to me it looked as if Joan Collins became a little too comfortable in her role, which took some of the "edge" out of the character, while Linda Evans seemed totally uncomfortable in her Krystle-Without-Direction role.
    And plot-wise, that even made sense - eventhough it wasn't always pretty to look at.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    I needed subtitles.

19. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    I think Joan knew Alexis inside out. I think she knew her better than the writers did. It was a weird alchemy where the two blended into one. That just didn't happen with John and Linda. Alexis was just an exaggerated Joan Collins putting the world to right and seeking revenge on all who wronged her. Alexis was Joan Collins with an unlimited budget and no one to tell her no. It just worked in a magical way.
    And I don't think Joan became complacent in the role. In fact she often improved very dull scripts with her delivery or by rewriting lines as she felt Alexis would say them. I cant fault her with that. Some of the stuff in the scripts just wouldn't have been what an English woman would have said.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,144
    Although I felt like it almost happened with Linda. One assumed in S1 and S2, Linda was basically playing herself. But once the writing quickly went awry (to say nothing of S.A.D.) Linda wasn't confident enough as an actress to take the crap dialogue they were giving her, ignore the S.A.D. shackles, and simply emit her natural soulfulness with a vengeance. Instead, Krystle became a shrieking, caffeine-addled hologram with Linda's soul buried deep inside, unable to escape this character purgatory. So, yes, the brain gizmo explanation from S9 at least made some retroactive sense. But Evans' connections to Krystle were lost.

Joan, on the other hand, brought her haughty Euroslut mystique to nearly every role she ever played, that persona -- full of fluttery affectation and enigmatic allusion and a sense she "knows stuff" -- essentially perfected by the time she took on Alexis. And because she was more confident an actress than Linda, Joan was able to continue hitting that note effectively even long after the producers, bewildered by the bong haze emanating from the writers' room, had abandoned them all.

In 1987, TV Guide correctly asked the question of how long Joan Collins could be expected to keep The Good Ship Carrington afloat all by herself.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1