What Would Have Been A Good Storyline For Lucy?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Jock, Ellie or anyone else knew about Lucy and Ray.

2. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I agree. Lucy was more of a brat and a non too bright. She was more interesting in the mini series though. That is why I thought giving Lucy those voting shares was such a dumb idea.

3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Not seemingly. But people talk, especially in small counties or towns...Pam wasn´t the smartest girl in the (trailer trash) block but could sum two and two and that equaled: "my ex-date is screwing that Ewing girl". She did the same thing with Julie Grey, Garnet McGee and Jenna Wade. I wish she had stayed that smart until she crashed into the butane truck!

[​IMG]

Or even afterwards!
    ("I´m smelling Katherine´s perfume so she must be
    bitching around here again. Please somebody help me...")​

4. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    [​IMG]

It was still dumber to place her behind the armchair to hide Charlene´s pregnancy...
    I always loved to guess what tone of voice she would use to say "Out!"​

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Remember, they were originally given to Gary, but he gave them to Lucy. Speaking of which, why did John Ross get shares of Ewing Oil and not Lucy(originally)? Is it because he’s male?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    upload_2019-1-30_1-57-6.jpeg

"Lucy don´t like taking power, only taking d****!"
    That gesture of giving Lucy his shares was a big F.U. to J.R. As was Jock´s letter to Lucy...

[​IMG]

Here´s Pam when she was told Lucy had no Ewing Oil shares...
    (Eye-rolling Barnes-Ewing style...)​

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Ollie james

Ollie james Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I honestly dont think they ever knew quite what to do with the character of Lucy. I have nothing against Charlene but i could easily have watched Dallas and never even notice she was there or cared for that matter. Maybe she would have been better joining Knots Landing the writing on that show for female characters especially was always pretty decent. She could have added an interesting dynamic to Knots rather than being a spare part on Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Someone brought it up. Why didn’t Lucy and Mitch move to LA to be on Knots Landing is a mystery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    It was dumb but what would you expect of a decision made by Gary? It proved Gary didn't deserve voting shares because he had no idea how Ewing Oil was run and as a result had no idea what was good for Ewing Oil. Ray had no understanding of the oil business ether. Realistically, the only 3 people with voting shares should have been Ellie, JR and Bobby. Of course that would constantly put all the pressure on Ellie every time JR and Bobby disagreed. Ellie would have had to have been the final decision maker in every disagreement that went to a vote.

I think Charlene was valuable to Dallas in certain situations - when her storylines were good. Many of her storylines would have been dull no matter which actress had played Lucy. She was probably considered important to the show because of demographics. her presence on the show created a situation where you had three generations of adult members of the Ewing family all in the main cast. That would potentially allow them to charge more money to advertisers because they could say "We appeal to all generations" which they did but not necessarily because of Lucy. Plenty of people considerably younger than JR or Bobby watched Dallas because they enjoyed the story they told. People don't have to be the same age as the people in a story to be able to appreciate a good story. If that weren't true, then Hollywood would have made far more movies about kids like "The Outsiders" where no adults have any major roles. That was a great movie directed by Francis Ford Coppola starring a cast that wouldn't even be affordable today. Imagine the payroll for a cast including:
    Matt Dillon
    Tom Cruise
    Patrick Swayze
    Diane Lane
    Rob Lowe
    Ralph Macchio
    and others as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ollie james

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I take your point and its valid i just dont think they developed the character or created storylines that gave the actress a fair shot at making Lucy a significant character on the show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Billy Wall

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I think it’s evident that Lucy was just out of place on Dallas. She was too old to be the adorable child and wasn’t old enough to be mixed up in the core storylines. With that being said, she was definitely a more interesting character in the early years.

12. Ollie james

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Would Lucy have benefited more from being maybe JRs daughter from a previous fling at least then she would be more naturally in the orbit of one of the shows main couples..Gary and Val were in Knots was Lucy just a bridge between the two shows and little else?

13. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +932
    it might have added another layer to the Barnes-Ewing feud if they’d kept Cousin Jimmy Monahan around and he and Lucy continued to be at least pals if not a couple. I wonder why he disappeared without a trace after the double-episode that kicked off the first full season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,507
    Medals:
    I would have liked Lucy to be JR daughter conceived when JR raped Valene when they were young. It would have provided here with a more central role in the Ewing storyline rather than being the peripheral character she became.

15. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    In hindsight, it seems that they liked the idea of Lucy more than the character herself.

16. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    I think that, in all Knots things, what you get (in the interviews) is what you see (even when they try to be kind after revealing their true colors...). Jacobs & Filerman didn't like Charlene as an actress so why would they bring her on their own show? I also seem to remember (I may be wrong) that Lisa Hartman was a finalist to play Lucy. So, in the end, they had the actress they wanted to play a role they tried hard (and twice) to write better than Lucy!

Getting deeper in the original thread subject, I think that what happened to the Lucy character was the same thing that happened to Sue Ellen. As Leonard Katzman said once, "how many times can you make J.R. and Sue Ellen apart?" They obviously didn´t know that the show would run for over 13 years so the fictional relationships resented that. Even Fallon on "Dynasty" and Vickie on "Falcon Crest" had to be re-cast and/or re-written to be accepted back in their shows.

In any kind of soap, the characters (especially female) can do two kinds of plots: relationships that lead to marriage (later quite stormy) and relationships that lead to total disaster. Lucy only married one man (though twice), and the rest of her affairs were beyond disaster, and this wears out the characters.

When she returned in Season 11, Lucy was going down the same path but they soon realized it would be a mistake (and probably also realized it was a mistake to hire Lucy back, even if most viewers liked her to see her around). So after the Casey Denault subplot, Lucy became the one to support the new, lamer characters...Could she go any lower than playing second fiddle to Cally, April, Tracy et al?

In my own parallel universe, April would have never existed (and Jack would have been gay, of course!), and Lucy would get back her own space in the show. Charlene deserved a second chance and she always was way much better than other actresses who seemed to stay on the show indefinitely (not name names!).

Sue Ellen had just created Valentine Lingerie and Lucy knew the modeling business. She could have been her assistant or get a job with her, even getting involved in the Lombardi affaire. Besides, Miss Ellie didn´t have too many good plots at the time, to be kind so Lucy would have been a good supporting character in all those storylines. And Lucy´s presence would have enlivened the Southfork dinner scenes after Pam left.

[​IMG]

"I want a retroactive Emmy for my performance
    in the kidnapping plot, and I want it now!"​

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,739
    As I remember there's something similar to that in the Raintree Dallas novel. Or at least something happened between JR and (as she was then) Maureen. I forget if it was consensual, but given the tone of the novel in general I would assume not.

Lucy was fun when it came to quips over cocktails and all, but I think they were right.

It was important that she appeared on the spin-off at least once because of her relationship to two central characters (and actually I'd like to have seen a couple more guest-spots or cameos over the years). But Charlene just wouldn't have worked as a series regular on Knots.

Gosh - really?

I know that it came down to a choice between Charlene and Stepfanie Kramer for Lucy. And Stepfanie also appeared in an episode of Knots.

18. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,052
    At this point of the century, we all know that even actors maybe remember things differently, but I seem to remember that in one of the interviews published either on UD or on Dallas Fanzine. What I hate about the Knots guys was that they just took another eye candy for men in the person of Lisa Hartman herself, who wasn´t even in Charlene´s league of acting. And her character came out of the blue, just because...Of course, this worked out for the Who Killed Ciji storyline, but not so much for the Cathy Dunne saga, at least not in the long run. After the initial shock, Cathy just became eye candy and a living pop jukebox. I did like her singing though, but as an actress, she had two notes: wink wink (flirting) and sob sob (sad & crying). But hey, Jacobs & Filerman obviously LIKED her. And liked Claudia Lonow too...

:re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re::re:

19. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +504
    The producers did their best to keep Lucy in the cast.......but there was nowhere to go with her. There was nowhere to go when CT returned, either.