What Would Have Been A Good Storyline For Lucy?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Jan 24, 2019.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,969
    Medals:
    Well, if they hadn't been short-sighted and made Ray a Ewing, she could've eventually married him and then died, leaving him with a part of the Ewing empire.

There, purpose solved.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. thomaswak

thomaswak Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +348
    Please Lucy fans, accept my sincere apology. But I can't imagine a good storyline for Lucy. She was that kind of character that exists as an excuse for making the other character interesting and to attract a younger audience.

Lucy should have been just a spoiled rich grand-daughter, spending money she doesn't earn, traveling, having fun, take advantage of the Ewing name, and sometimes shaming the family. No need to waste a great storyline for her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    I can now imagine the scene...thank you very much. Lucy is about to begin her set when in walks Jock, JR and the boys from the Cartel. Lucy spots them...and well the rest is history.

giphy.gif

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Jock and JR would not have wanted Lucy in Ewing Oil but there could have been possibilities like her being a singer or going into fashion.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I don't know where you found that gif but it sure got the point across! I think back in the first couple seasons of the show when Lucy was at her most rebellious, and always seeking attention it would have been very in character for her to become a stripper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Funny coincidence, but in my Dallas fanfic "Ewing Empire", Lucy´s sister Betsy starts a "career" as a (sort of) stripper...no nude or prostitution though! :spinning::spinning:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Medals:
    I just watched the storyline where Lucy was kidnapped by Roger and there is a little scene at the end, even after she is rescued, that really showed Charlene Tilton's acting ability.

They gather in the driveway to welcome Lucy home. Donna says, "If there is anything we can do, you just let us know."
    And Miss Ellie snaps,
    "There is nothing you can do."

Lucy lets out a small gasp, "Grandma!"
    And looks at the others in the driveway, trying to figure out what is going on.

Charlene did a great job of underplaying the scene perfectly, allowing the audience to feel like we were right there in the driveway with her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    Victoria and Barbara brought up the best in Charlene´s acting talent, her best scenes were mainly with them. Her character started her big decline when Bobby and Pam separated. Who was Lucy gonna have heart-to-heart talks with, Sue Ellen (besides, BBG also had her first heart crisis at that time)? I can only remember one good scene between these two (not to mention the "Survival" near-catfight!): when they talk about their "crippled men" (Mickey and Dusty), prior to his death. From then on, all went downhill...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I think Charlene's best acting was in Season 1 and Season 6.

Her performance in "Lessons" - the one where she did anything she could to get out of going to school and also showed she was sort of a nymphomaniac - was one of her best performances. She was just hitting on Ray relentlessly. It showed her lack of self esteem. No matter how much Ray rejected her, she just kept throwing herself at him, showing no sign of finding it humiliating to be trying that hard and acting so desperate for a man who happened to be twice her age. Then she tried to frame a teacher for sexual assault. She showed no signs of having a conscience. That his life could be ruined just because she was bored at school, and he would go to prison if convicted didn't seem to bother her one bit.

She had changed a lot from Season 1 to Season 6, even for someone her age. People usually to change a lot from 17 to 23 years old but usually not as much as Lucy changed. She had developed a conscience and self esteem. Mickey helped build both in her, although she had developed them on her own as well before meeting him. Her acting throughout her romance with Mickey was her best acting for a prolonged period of time in Dallas. The whole Lucy-Mickey storyline was very well done, both by Charlene Tilton and newcomer Timothy Patrick Murphy.

Sadly, his stay on Dallas was cut short. I thought they should never have had him get paralyzed, comatose and eventually dying when Ray pulled the plug on Mickey's life support as per Mickey's final wishes. Instead I would have liked to have seen him marry Lucy and show them have a successful marriage. Mickey, with his very "un-Ewinglike" values and laid back attitude would have been a thorn in the side of the more success oriented Ewings.

More importantly, he was the one guy who seemed to be what Lucy needed in a husband. One of Charlene Tilton's best acted scenes came after she found out Mickey had been terribly injured and the police were trying to question Sue Ellen but JR was trying to protect her by saying she was too injured to be questioned at that time. The memorable part was when she told the police Sue Ellen was "stinking drunk" when she got in the wreck that left Mickey paralyzed and comatose. Her anger at Sue Ellen was intense and justifiably so.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,695
    The “dark Lucy” of season 1 made a lot of sense and added quite a bit to the family dynamic. Who wouldn’t be messed up with the backstory of her parents and the family she grew up with?

She was the dose of reality in contrast to the “you know Daddy likes to eat dinner on time” and “most of all, she’s got that Ewing Spirit!” veneer everyone else would put on.

11. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    She was. I think they would have done better to keep her that way for longer than they did. Not that she should never have matured and become less wild and rebellious, but they could have waited a lot longer than they did for that change in Lucy to take place and a lot of fun storylines could have resulted from keeping the "wild child" version of Lucy several years longer than they did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Medals:
    This would have opened up the possibilites of many storylines. Including "There's Lucy and Mickey, happy in their small, but comfortable house. It proves that you don't have to have money to be happy."

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,645
    Medals:
    ...which is exactly what had immediately destroyed all the possibilities that the Lucy-Mitch marriage had in the beginning. It would have been "I Love Lucy" ("Dallas"-style) all over again...All the Ewings had to live under the Southfork roof, that was a sacred rule in the original show, which oddly enough was NOT in the spin-off, which improved when Gary left the cul-de-sac with the Abster...

"Dallas" needed a group of people to talk / fight / strangle each other pre-dinner hour, and also for breakfast and dinner. Not only three or four of them but a few more. And children were not needed for that, thank you, all the opposite: when John Ross and Chris were old enough to speak and understand what their family was talking about, it was harder to create conflict (just think about the two last seasons).

As good as Lucy and Mickey were for each other, it would have been hard to keep that storyline satisfying. The "Dallas" writers didn´t know how to write for a teenage (younger) character (not even the "Knots" ones, who hardly gave the Fairgate kids something "decent" to do, with Olivia Cunningham being the exception), even considering that, when Lucy met Mickey, she was around 22/23. The sad truth is that, if Lucy had been a man, he had been starting out at Ewing Oil when the show began. A younger J.R. / Bobby learning the tricks from the masters.

14. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Yes! Also, unlike Mitch, Mickey wasn't allergic to money so if Lucy used some of her inheritance for a shopping spree or a vacation, Mickey would have been cool with it. Mickey had that little bit of cockiness and arrogance which made him far more interesting to Lucy than Mitch ever could have been. Lucy had that cockiness and arrogance too (especially in younger years) so she and Mickey were made for each other! I don't know why they had Mickey killed. There was never another suitor for Lucy as appropriate as Mickey.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lastkidpicked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Medals:
    There are two great Lucy cut aways in Season 5 when J.R. and Sue Ellen announce they are going to remarry. If you rewatch the episode, look for the reaction shots of Charlene Tilton. She does a great job.

J.R. "I want to tell you all the good news. I've asked Sue Ellen to re-marry me, and she said yes."
    Lucy: Looks away with a face that says, "I just threw up in my mouth a little bit."

You only see her for a second, but it's a great face!

Then Ray proposes a toast, "Here's to the bride." And raises his glass.
    Lucy: Rolls eyes and gives us a look as if she's thinking, "What the hell . . . It's free champagne".

They are just quick reaction shots, but they are great!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1