What would you do?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by stevew, Apr 28, 2017.

?

If Dallas returned to TV in 2018/9 they should

1. Continue from Dallas TNT

41.7%
  2. Forget Dallas TNT and the Movies

12.5%
  3. Forget Dallas TNT but Keep the Movies

12.5%
  4. Go back to the Dream Season and Forget the Rest

16.7%
  5. Other (please leave details)

16.7%
  1. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    I was recently asked, if I could start Dallas 2.0 all over again, right now, and forget Dallas TNT, would I, and if I did, what would I do? So I thought it would make an interesting topic.

I of course would put it back on TV again and hopefully get it right, but NO I wouldn't start it all over again ignoring Dallas TNT. I'd continue from 2014, but I would write the movies back in and figure out a way to use footage from the dream season to put it back in as well. I'm hopeless I guess at fixing that mess and not wanting to write anything out.

But if that was the option, ignore Fsllas TNT, I'd want to use as much of JR's footage as possible and use both Josh Henderson and Julie Gonzolas for their respective roles. Then I'd start in 2010 with JR having manipulated congress and the President to rid himself of the estate tax for that year and then stage his death only to retire secretly to an island where he would send letters to John Ross advising him as if from the grave (JR never dies the letters just end). So, John Ross would inherit control of the EO corporation (former West Star and Ewing Oil) and would find out Bobby was only given the business of South Fork, the land was left to the Ewing Family Foundation and the house was left to John Ross in trust with Bobby until JR died. John Ross would also inherit his trust from Jock and another from Clayton.

Lucy would arrive to play family matriarch and in control of the foundation (Miss Ellie and Clayton's money) now that JRs gone. She be an Auntie Mame type, in and out and all over the world, providing a connection to the oringinal (Bobby living in Hawaii with Pam and Sue Ellen back in England - all set for guest appearances).

Cally's son, Bo, would show up and Bobby would have a 10 year old son, Austin, by an unseen woman.

Then I'd skip ahead to 2018 or whenever and we'd have:

John Ross (40) married to Pamela (and young kids and with flash backs used from Dallas TNT to show them getting together. John Ross would be a young Jock, retired from business, having bought the ranch from Bobby and married to a young Miss Ellie (heir to Cliff's EO shares as JR saw him in the nut house before he "died").

Lucy, a rich eccentric, colorful character with lots of stories and control of the giant foundation and all its shares in EO (from Clayton). She'd be back again with Mitch here and there.

Bo (28) would be like JR, ruthless, with a large trust fund (yes JR would not have forgotten his other children entirely). He'd run EO and be set to marry Wendell's tragic granddaughter, Charlotte, to get at her EO shares.

Austin would be a young Bobby, playboy type (yes he'd be plagued by Bobby's other sons who'd show up eventually). We find out his mother was Tracy who died and he inherit the McKay EO shares.

And Ellie would show up, JRs daughter with Holly Harwood (secret family). She'd have EO shares after EO acquired Harwood Oil. Ellie would be slightly older than Bo and just as ruthless as her brother, Bo, sometimes partners, other times ruthless enemies with a love/hate for Ruby, Portifino Ruberosa, John Ross's go to man, a dashing James Bond type. I see her and Bo and the main characters.

Then their's Rebecca Wentworth, Katherine's daughter with her EO shares and an obsession with John Ross (they have a past). And Chris (hating his cousins and changing his name to Barnes) shows up with his mother's EO shares and the fight is on. The spark - Lucy agrees to drill for oil on South Fork to benefit the foundation after Ellie and Bo convince her it isn't right to leave it in the ground. John Ross is concerned. Chris is ferious - he's going to prove he's the only true Ewing by protecting South Fork. Turns out all those tests were inaccurate, he is JRs son and Rebecca's is JR's daughter. Then they find out their is a 7th sibling.

Ok I'm babbling but you get the idea.

I'm am very curious of the poll:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,466
    I would forget TNT Dallas and keep the movies, but NOT continue on with anything else. Sorry if it sounds bad, but I've lost faith in TV writers doing anything good for Dallas after the mess that Cynthia Cidre caused.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    No I understand. For got that as an option, to not continue it at all. I guess I just think I could do a better job but probably not I suppose. Thank you for your honest response. And you're probably right.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,466
    Although it would probably be okay if they just hired you instead!

5. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Oh thank you very much. You just made my whole weekend :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +642
    I would ditch TNT, include the movies, but you then have a very big problem....J.R! As much as TNT went rogue it did handle Larry's passing very well and it would seem a huge shame to tread or retread over that.

The only option I can see is a straight continuation from the movies, but with a year or so time lapse, with J.R passing, and the will reading kicking off the new series.

7. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    I would continue from Dallas TNT - in theory, but pretty much ignore it in practice. Say that Christopher was not in the car. Have JR's daughter's mother be someone we know. Bring in Lucas and all the other stuff we wanted but for whatever reason was left out.

• Like Like x 3
  8. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Interesting points. Thank you. I personally did not like the way they had JR die.

9. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Good point. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    I'd continue TNT's nuDALLAS, but trim it down and get back to the Ewing family being at the center.

JR's death, and oldPam's death, were two of the few things they did right, IMO. The last half of season 2 (and Patrick agreed with this) was the best nuDALLAS ever got, presumably because they knew they'd have to deal with the loss of Larry.

But Season 3 was just more of the muddled same. A few good few moments, surrounded by the usual mess.

So, yeah, I'd continue it. But fix it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Thank you. Seems best I'd agree. Would you put the movies back in to being cannon? I think you could do it if you ignored some stuff. The reason I ask is because I hate the idea JR was pretty broken at the end and really had nothing to leave his children.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    I'm a big believer that inconsistencies, even unintentional ones, can often be reconciled with an "umbrella" explanation in which both seemingly contradictory points can be allowed to exist. (And when no such rationale is possible, two characters can later bring up the contradiction in conversation and explain it away, but not resolve it necessarily, by attributing it to somebody's fuzzy memories/lies/different perspective --- the more frivolous viewer will neither know nor care about such contradictions, but later addressing them once discovered gives the loyal viewer more layers to enjoy).

So, yes, I'd try to keep the two reunion movies, middling entries at best though they were, canon if at all possible.

PS: I'd also establish that Jeremy Wendell put something in the Southfork aquifer circa 1984 which made the Ewings see multiple Ellies, have dreams for an entire year, forget stuff, and just act generally loopy... But that's just me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  13. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Good points and I love the '84 Wendell idea.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,925
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm kidding about that or not, the Wendell thing. But sometimes absurd concepts, once pondered for a while, can turn into great ideas for real.

We once had a thread called "Dynastier" over on that other page which was a broad, preposterous satire. But eventually, it began to make more sense than what the original show actually did.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    And I can see Wendell do it too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    Erase not only TNT's Dallas, but also the movies and the seasons with double digits!

Gather all the original characters who are still alive for a big family reunion! Have them talk about the years that have passed since 1987/1988 or there about. And yes, they can also talk about the characters who are no longer with us (either deceased or not wanting to be a part of the reunion).

During their conversations, we get to see numerous flashbacks regarding the years that have passed (where new actors/actresses who resemble our beloved will play the parts).

By doing it this way, it is my belief that it is possible to lay Dallas to rest with dignity and respect for the longtime fans! Our favorite couples could end up together for the fairytale to come full circle! Even if some for whatever reason won't be present at the reunion!

17. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Thank you. Interesting. Take it back to Season 9. So then is Bobby really dead?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,607
    @stevew: No, Bobby's not dead. He died in May 1985, right? And came back in May 1986? And I suggested that the "new" Dallas could pick up around 1987 or 1988! ;)

As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't really matter, if they continue to use the "dream" explanation, or if they come up with something new! Thus, they could pick up straight after the "dream" if they wanted to! ;)

I just need the seasons with too little of the original "Dallas" feeling and too many new characters to complete vanish into thin air! :head:

Since it is all fiction, the new team of writers/producers don't have to play by the "rules". For instance, JR didn't have to die the same year that Larry did! And even if Victoria, for instance, didn't want to take part in a reunion, they could still have Bobby and Pam together and just come up with an explanation of why she wasn't present at the reunion party! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +501
    Gottacha. Could even go back to Katherine running down Bobby for that matter. That year was good for me except for replacing Miss Ellie. But the dream felt off to me and than the dream season felt off as well. Last time I felt it was Dallas was when Bobby died. After that to me it was Dallas like.

I never expected TNT Dallas to be like the original early years and I would have been good with original stars guest staring, maybe one regular.

Thank you for your comments. Interesting all the different takes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,921
    And that would be my major concern, another group of so-called writers believing they have the talent to rejuvenate Dallas. If they wish to fully understand what made this show so compelling in those first several seasons (before the silliness crept in) then sit down and watch every episode. Understand why it was must watch television. The problem I foresee with a continuation is the obvious, no Larry Hagman = no JR Ewing. Good writers I suppose could weave the ghost of JR into a new version, much like they did with Jock Ewing throughout the original series run.

If given the opportunity in resurrecting Dallas I'd start 5 years after TNT Dallas ended. I wouldn't even acknowledge the Dallas Movies but I would keep two important details from TNT Dallas. The first one is going to scare the hell out of the posties on here but I would leave Christopher dead. The second is Pam. It was dealt with in TNT Dallas. Victoria won't return to the role and I wouldn't accept any other actress playing the part. Victoria was and will be Pam - always.

Cue opening credits.
    There are no introductions of actors or characters, just Dallas scenes as we listen to an updated version of Jerrold Immel's classic tune.​

The opening scene begins with an overview of a huge gathering of people (dressed in black) outside a church. There are quiet whispers. It's raining. The overall feel is one of darkness as a hearse pulls up. Since we don't see any familiar characters we're left guessing to the nature of what we're about to witness.

The pallbearers gather at the rear of the vehicle. We peer down on the coffin as it's slowly removed, rain drops bounce chillingly on the coffin as a brass plaque announces the death of Cliff Barnes 1952-2019. Since Cynthia Cidre & Co., turned Cliff into an evil monster I'm going to kill off the character from the get go. Sounds harsh and again most posters on here are not going to like it. As the pall-bearers carry the coffin through the church we begin to see some familiar faces; Marilee Stone, Holly Harwood, Jackie, Sly, Phyllis. As the coffin reaches its destination we see members of the Ewing family appear. Bobby, Ann, Sue Ellen, John Ross, Pamela and the 5 year old boys and girl (triplets) standing between their parents. We see Ray (no Jenna, Charlie or Lucas at his point in the story). But there is Donna and Margaret with Lucy, Gary and Afton. After the funeral service the family and guests gather at Southfork. The mood is sombre. Bobby appears lonely as he looks at photos of Jock, Miss Ellie, JR, Pam and Christopher. Sue Ellen approaches and they engage in reflective conversation about the past. But Dallas isn't Dallas without a classic twist.

A stretch limousine pulls up at a cemetery. It's still raining. The door opens and out steps what is clearly a woman. We don't know her...yet. We watch as she approaches the grave of Cliff Barnes. Flowers adorn the site. She gently kneels and places a single rose amongst the rest. From the opposite end the camera pans up. Dressed in black a large hat lifts, revealing the horror that is about to be inflicted on the Ewing family...

Katherine!​

What happens after this is in my imagination. What I will say is I left Ann in the story. I liked her. I believe she and Sue Ellen had great chemistry in the few times they shared scenes together. It also creates tension between John Ross and Pamela at Southfork since Ann is a constant reminder of their indiscretion with Emma in TNT Dallas. Speaking of Emma she is discarded. Drug overdose. Harris is dead and Mama Ryland languishes in a prison cell after killing the person responsible for murdering her beloved. As for the Ramos family? Never mentioned. I wouldn't even waste a sentence on them. Crap I just did, where is that eraser?

• Like Like x 1