What would you do?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by stevew, Apr 28, 2017.

?

If Dallas returned to TV in 2018/9 they should

1. Continue from Dallas TNT

41.7%
  2. Forget Dallas TNT and the Movies

12.5%
  3. Forget Dallas TNT but Keep the Movies

12.5%
  4. Go back to the Dream Season and Forget the Rest

16.7%
  5. Other (please leave details)

16.7%
  1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I go to the point where Pam drives into the oil tanker, although I do have Seasons 11-14 and the movies on DVD as I bought the boxset. I did watch them all the way through once, but unless one is a big Sue Ellen fan (which I'm not) or who wants to see how the Dallas series fell off the rails horribly, there is no need to go beyond the end of Season 10, in my opinion. I could never stop at Bobby's death like yourself, because I want to see Barbara Bel Geddes back, I want to see the characters wallowing in grief after Bobby's death and how they all change slightly as characters, I want to see Sue Ellen hit rock bottom with the booze. With Season 10, I want to see J.R. Ewing vs. B.D. Calhoun, and the fallout from that combined with one woman's determination resulting in Ewing Oil being shut down. This, combined with Pam being incinerated, makes it all feel final.

Bobby coming back from the dead is a part of the Dallas legend. I don't see how I can't include that.

2. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,128
    The season following on from Bobby's death did show promise. With Barbara Bel back in her rightful place (no offence to Donna Reed) and JR ripping into Sue Ellen which sends her straight for the bottle, I was looking forward to how the fractured Ewing family were going to survive. Seeing JR speak to Bobby's grave allowed us a rare insight into the character. However, after he offered Bobby's soul some nice brotherly words I wanted JR to come out swinging with his target the Barnes family, after-all it was Cliff and Pam's demented half-sister that was the cause of it. We then had the reading of Bobby's Will. Placing Pam squarely in the sight of JR.

I didn't want JR to be softened by Bobby's death, I wanted the opposite. Those that could reign in JR were gone, unleash that beautiful beast on Dallas and anyone prepared to get in his way was either going to end up dead, in prison or bankrupt.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    I liked the softening of JR but agree putting him on tops d unleashing the beast. It seemed his character was developing in the season after Bobby's death. I personally would have done a bit of both: a JR that lashes out, reaches the hight of destroying his enemies and at the same time had to confront his demons so by the time we get to the finally JR is a changed man (somewhat).

Maybe almost loosing Sue Ellen too, maybe almost loosing John Ross. Maybe a FIGHT scene with his mother, "Why? I did everything he always wanted. Daddy promised me Ewing Oil. And your daddy promised me one day South Fork would be mine. Why momma. Why did you stop loving me?" That's what I wanted to see.

I wanted to see Miss Ellie leave South Fork and go to Gary on Knots Landing only to be ignored. I wanted to see Miss Ellie return and have John Ross ask his grandmother, "Why she left? Why when his daddy needed her she left?" I wanted Bobby's death to show it's not just JR, it's a broken family. Then put them back together.

Then I wanted Katherine to return with a pardon from the governor, claiming it was an accident. And a paper in hand from her father's will allowing her to take everything from Cliff and Pam and destroy them. Then set her sights on JR.

I wanted a cliff hanger where the Ewings had come full circle and Miss Ellie and JR made peace. Where they were on top and then something happens.

Miss Ellie gives South Fork to JR who returns it to Ewing Oil (or so we think). And JR takes over West Star in a merger with Ewing Oil that keeps the company just with the family but gives JR control with everyone one else as minor investors (huge debt). JR is on TOP.

Cliff breaks down and JR helps him, having come full circle, realizing the two aren't all that different. Unlike Jock and Digger loosing a friendship Cliff and JR find one.

JR expands his empire and hires Donna to run Ewing Oil. He's created a foundation to give away money and clean up the Ewing name, and give Sue Ellen a purpose to help people. He spend time at the Ranch filling in for Ray who's not handling Bobby's death, and he spends time with John Ross and Lucy, like a father figure to her. He fulfills his legacy, he is Jock Ewing (like Jock and H. L. Hunt I'd show he has a secret family out there as well that he's trying to care of at the same time so he's not all better, but have him faithful to Sue Ellen).

Then Katherine turns her sites on JR. Blaming him for everything, even Bobby's death. She's powerful now. Her company, Wentworth Industries, is under her control. She sits on the board. The governor is in her pocket. And she has friends in Texas, like those in Texas who one conspiracy theory says killed Kennedy (which included H. L. Hunt). We find out there's something suspicious about the death of Rebecca Wentworth as well.

The Ewings unit behind JR against Bobby's murderer. We find out Katherine gave birth to JRs daughter, Rebecca and Katherine has bought the debt of Ewing Oil and forced it into an ownership share. Katherine also has bought every ranch surrounding South Fork, including the Wade Ranch that she moves into and Ray's Ranch, having hit rock bottom after Bobby's death (including an affair with an also spiraling out of control Jenna) and too afraid to tell anyone, loosing it with gambling debt. JR takes him in.

With Pam's breakdown, Katherine beats the Ewings for custody of Christopher and takes him away. JR takes in Pam.

With Chris's share and her share she forces a merger of Ewing Oil and Wentworth Industries and tells JR he's out - even at South Fork, it's all hers. JR just laughs. He could care less. It's Katherine that's obsessed this time, not him. But that he will get custody of his nephew and his daughter. We end with JR laughing at her, walking out the front door of South Fork.

The season opener shows JR standing in the front of the house laughing. Sue Ellen asks what he's laughing about. He tells her it doesn't matter, finally all of this doesn't matter. "I've you and our boy. And this family. Everyone was there for me." Chris comes running out of the house saying he's going with them. JR says they're not going anywhere. He owns the house personally, not the company. The foundation owns the land and the mineral rights. And Ewing Oil just owns the South Fork Cattle Company. Katherine steps outside and its JR who says to get off this property. He then says he'll see her at the next board meeting of Wentworth Industries. Christopher won't leave with her. JR tell her to leave and call the sheriff on us but he's staying. He then leans over and says and my baby girl you thought you had in London, she's safe with me now. So you try and find her. He keeps laughing as Katherine says theirs more to come JR. He tells her, "You better there is darlin'".

Ah what could have been.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Good synopsis Stevew

Funny you mention JFK

I always had a theory that as a young impressionable soldier,JR was somehow blackmailed or coerced into the assassination and had his superiors eventually silenced when he understood the consequences,hence why he became so ruthless and only Jock knew (in debt to the government hence why he worked for them occasionally) and perhaps a deep throat type character pops up and gives Cliff the only surviving file....

CLIFFHANGER

5. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    I'm glad this strirred up so much discussion. I suppose I'd start after the continuation because I hate the idea of ignoring things like the movies. But if I'm honest, I'd want to start after Bobby's death and do it right, IMHO. Rejoin Knots Landing and fix the campy crap which followed. I'd want more character development, Sue Ellen growing stronger, JR become more like Jock, more with Donna, Ray and Lucy. I loved Miss Ellie and she had some great roles too.

• Like Like x 3
  6. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    Cool - if not a full on story line at least a hint of such could have been pretty revealing as to his character.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I did have to disagree with one idea: that of JR helping Cliff regarding his mental health . He may have changed his ways in this story but I cannot comprehend he ever helping Cliff.
    This was the basis of the show and to fans it could easily be even worse than Bobby sticking that Irish Spring under his armpits

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    Gary ignoring Miss Ellie? Unthinkable. Especially if it's her going to him in California. If Gary feared anything about his mother, it was her attachment to Southfork and her desire to have her family living there. I do take your point about Miss Ellie going off to California, though. I would have liked to see Miss Ellie go over to Knots Landing in early Season 7 in Knots Landing (early Season 9 DVD in Dallas), in order to see Gary. On Knots Landing, they did have Gary in tears as Abby consoled him, presumably just after that scene on Dallas when Gary talks to his mother on the phone. As Barbara had just returned to the role of Miss Ellie, it probably wasn't possible or convenient for her to go onto Knots Landing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    I agree but if he did and if done well, it would have shown tremendous growth in him. Maybe not friends but something, even the timest thing on his part. The idea would be to move the show in a new direction and establish a new basis with new stories and new tensions and new dynamics to keep it going without being obsurd.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    I would have kept the first half of Season 9 DVD as it is, but in the second half I'd be pushing for a hardening of the Pam vs. J.R. feud at Ewing Oil instead of it softening, and I'd tone down the Angelica Nero stuff. With the Emerald mine storyline, I'd be letting J.R. be a lot more involved with that behind the scenes, manipulating Pam's grief over Bobby's death to get her away from the Ewing Oil building, and Pam eventually cottoning on, enraging her. The fallout from this can lead into another season's worth of storylines easily.

Still, of Seasons 8-10 DVD, Season 9 is my favourite.

• Like Like x 1
  11. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    Point taken in regards to Knots Landing and I didn't mean to stay but maybe just one episode or not even show up on the show but be referenced as having been and returned. And maybe not ignored, I don't know the character Gary all that well, but just that Miss Ellie wouldn't have got the comfort she wanted from him and returned to Dallas to face her issues with JR head on.

12. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    Interesting. I just never bought Pam as a true adversary to JR anymore than I did Cliff. Jeremy Wendell getting his ass kicked by JR would have been good fun - he was a true adversary. So was Rebecca. And I believe Kathetine could have been if they ratchet her up in business like her mother. But Pam for me was never going to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +700
    By Season 7 of Knots Landing, Gary was a lot more responsible and stronger with Abby as his wife, and Olivia and Brian as stepkids. Abby was much like Gary's brother, J.R., as she compelled him to face responsibilities in family and business. Gary was involved in business wrangling over Empire Valley at the time, which Greg Sumner was turning into some sort of ultra-secret service place, with Abby going along with it, to Gary's horror. Gary blew it up, and made sure that Greg and Abby saw him do it. Previously to this, while Gary was at Bobby's funeral, Greg and Abby seized their chance in Gary's absence to sideline and deceive him even more.

14. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    So maybe Gary was suppressing grieving fully and dealing with all this business and family to be their for Miss. Ellie. Or some such that left her to return to Dallas and confront what never got confronted, her turning away from JR in his youth.

15. Tullamore

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I think it's a concensus that even though the Range War was interesting the main antagonist Jeremy Wendell was a disappointment in terms of how such a wiley businessman was caught.
    This should have been either changed or perhaps he manipulated his way into the clink (like JR would one day do in the Jessica Hatch ) to get to another ally to get to JR- a neat freeze frame being ,say Tommy or even Cally's brothers go in a cell out of the shadows Wendell appears....

I liked the range war but felt he should have gunned for JR as opposed to the ranch and the family. It didn't make sense

16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,128
    The introduction of Angelica Nero was simply to counteract Dynasty, which had beaten Dallas in the ratings the previous season. If only the writers of Dallas were clued in to the ridiculous story the Dynasty writers were about to pull with the "Moldavia Wedding Massacre" and the subsequent fallout from that episode. The character of Angelica Nero would have suited the Aaron Spelling Dynasty world more comfortably than Dallas. She looked like a fish out of water. All Angelica, her cronies and the stupid story did was take the focus away from the Ewing family. I suppose desperate times call for desperate measures. For a brief time my gut feeling was Angelica and Grace were in a relationship. That would have been an interesting story to explore.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    Yea it didn't work for me at all. I took to skipping most of it and not watching until falcon crest came on.

18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,128
    Perhaps. Recently I watched Lorimar Dallas from the beginning to the death of Bobby. The underlying feeling was the ultimate fight between JR and "that Barnes woman". Patrick Duffy announcing his imminent departure from Dallas was the trigger required from the writers to give the following season after Bobby's death just the injection it needed. I recall three scenes which gives us an insight into how JR and Pam could have played out. There was the scene when police arrest Cliff (in the company of Pam) outside his office. How convenient that JR should be there. The other was when Pam ambushed JR outside his office building questioning how JR knew that Cliff would be arrested at that precise moment. And finally. Pam storms the Ewing Office and guns for JR's office over the search for Mark Graison.

By this point Pam was a strong woman, due in part to JR's constant meddling and bullying. With the death of Bobby, and Pam obtaining administrative control of Christopher's share in Ewing Oil, why then would the writers back away from the penultimate fight between Pam, Cliff and JR. For me it felt like a natural progression the story was moving towards. Despite Katherine being the person responsible for Bobby's death, JR was no innocent in the affair, he just had no idea the extreme measures Katherine would dish out. So despite all JR's wheeling and dealing to snatch control of Ewing Oil his worst nightmare is realized; his brother is dead and his long suffering former sister-in-law (with assistance from her brother) is about to squarely place her beautiful butt in Bobby's chair. You could call it Bobby's ultimate revenge on JR from the grave.

So that's from the characters perspective now from the actors. Larry has chatted numerous times that he was missing his good friend Patrick and that somehow Dallas wasn't the same without him being there. There has also been discussion about the character of Bobby being integral to the success of Dallas. This is why most watched, the constant fight for Ewing Oil between brothers.

The problem I had was the story was becoming repetitive. JR is President of Ewing Oil one minute, Bobby the next, JR again, now lets share the position. Truth be told it was becoming a yawn-fest. Patrick announcing his departure I thought was just the injection Dallas needed. The writers appeared to be reading my mind by placing Pam in Bobby's office. So we're onto a good start.
    Then something odd happened. It was if outside influences decided they didn't like the idea of JR and Pam going head to head. The message was we cannot have strong female characters on Dallas. This is not Dynasty. This is a man's world therefore we cannot have someone of JR's caliber getting throttled by a woman. So instead of using the character they've had from the opening episode and was justified in her fight with JR, let's introduce a character out of left field, Angelica Nero. Funny how that approach from the writers (and those outside influences) destroyed the very fabric of why millions of viewers watched Dallas. And, as it turned out they weakened the character of JR Ewing anyway towards its horrible inevitable end. I'm glad Victoria left when she did.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  19. stevew

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +798
    Medals:
    All very good points. I just would have liked to see Katherine in that roll. I never felt Pam was very smart, I don't know why. But you are spot on with the repetitiveness and with Angelica Nero as well. I was hoping they'd change it up even more and come full circle with the family, setting into motion another set of circumstances but that's very unlikely. Even with TNT Dallas they just went to the same old fights (andding only characters not even tied to the story in the first place, character that just weren't sympathetic in my opinion).

• Like Like x 1
  20. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +882
    Angelica could have worked very well, had they got an actress who could actually act - and changed the whole plot, which was ridiculous. A powerful woman going to war with J.R could have been great viewing.

• Like Like x 1