What would you do?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by stevew, Apr 28, 2017.

?

If Dallas returned to TV in 2018/9 they should

1. Continue from Dallas TNT

41.7%
  2. Forget Dallas TNT and the Movies

12.5%
  3. Forget Dallas TNT but Keep the Movies

12.5%
  4. Go back to the Dream Season and Forget the Rest

16.7%
  5. Other (please leave details)

16.7%
  1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,807
    Maybe. But my point is the introduction of Angelica Nero was unwarranted. Of course it's easy to speak of these events in retrospect because we know the outcome anyway when Pam wakes up. I believe the death of Bobby was just what Dallas needed. Something so shocking to regular viewers would have had those same viewers return to watch the fallout from his death. Angelica Nero was a distraction. And as for your "powerful woman going to war with J.R.", that woman was already there, Pam. Watching those two together in scenes was a joy to watch. Pam had threatened JR to go after Ewing Oil, I just wish the writers were brave enough to allow this to happen instead of the producers, writers and Larry's desperate pleas to get Patrick back. It wasn't the departure of Patrick/Bobby that hurt the show. It was the ridiculous story, the introduction of unsuited characters and ultimately Patrick's return which hurt Dallas.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Is it wrong that I want Katherine to win? Lol. A lot of what you mentioned is good. But there are two things I don't buy: 1. JR should not care about Cliff. From the way Cliff continually became more and more weird and obsessed with Ewing Oil in the show, I would say that the guy NEEDS to be in a mental institution! I can't see JR ever giving a flip about Cliff, and I hate it when fanfiction writers (and I'm not saying you) make the characters who hated each other become all buddy-buddy just so that everyone is united against Katherine. 2. Katherine should not be in love with Bobby anymore. It got old a long time ago, and since this Katherine seems stronger and probably not crazy anymore, I don't see how she could care about a man who obviously hates her and never even saw her as a real person, just "Pam's sister." Katherine should be able to see these things now, and personally, I would find it much more interesting to see her actually resent Bobby.

3. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    I only saw JR and Pam as temporary rivals, really. She was too attached to the Ewing family, even with Bobby gone, to truly put her heart into an all out battle against JR with devastating consequences against Ewing Oil and the family's reputation. If the dream season formula continued, I always saw them eventually becoming friends. Katherine would have been a more effective rival for JR, in my opinion. The writers could have set her up with actually having business knowledge from years of training with her father, but she had chosen to keep it mostly secret because she was worried that Bobby wouldn't like a truly successful woman in the business world. Pam, on the other hand, just magically became an expert in the show after reading a few books on the oil business and a little "business advice" from Mark Graison. It was too Mary Sue for me.

4. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    Got it. I see you points. So,

1) I suppose JR could find himself on the same side as Cliff - going after Katherine, but in the end using him and putting him down once and for all - then move onto the next enemy feud.

2) Katherine resent Bobby, even hate him. The more I think about it the more I see her in transition who will burn herself out - herself so consumed with hatred she her self can't survive. So, she'll defiantly need someone to follow her.

Now the more and more I think of Pam and what to do with her I'm torn. To me the character was always weak. I almost see her no different than Cliff or Katherine - burning out with the feud. Somehow I'd like to see her transition into more, but some business rival.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    I agree. I just never bought Pam in that light and without Bobby I thought it was like Romeo and Juliette - time for her to go too.

But with Katherine killing Bobby - I just didn't see how she could last long either. So by the end of that season I keep seeing JR with Cliff neutered and used one last time, Pam employed and Katherine making her last grand stand.

So then what?

Maybe if my idea is to use Bobby's death to totally flip the show and JR settle into the Patriarch of the family I need to think about if he's Jock, who's JR as well as who does this person oppose - fight? IDK, this rewrite gets more and more complicated in my mind.

Could Katherine remain even though she killed Bobby? Could she have staying power as the primary antagonist? That's my biggest question.

2nd, if JR fills Jocks shoes (not a total change but less focus on him and more on another break out antihero), who fills JRs shoes?

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  6. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Lucy
    That's who!

7. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Medals:
    I've thought about Lucy (and Jack), but do you see her as ruthless, as lustful, as bass? Idk.

8. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Yeah the earlier episodes.

What if it turned out that JR was right and val left her home alone alot and maybe Gary was prone to getting drunk and hitting val

Lucy finds out and bonds with JR eventually being his protégé

9. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +957
    I don't need to imagine it.

My Father will get his comeuppance one of these days, & he'll fully deserve it.

I'll claw Ewing Global out from underneath him & give him the shock of his life when he learns that I, Luke Krebbs Ewing is back in Dallas to claim my birthright. :)

• Agree Agree x 1