Whatever happened to summer?

Discussion in 'Rant Room' started by Swami, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    Last night we had thunderstorms, the like of which I don't think I have seen since that awfully wet year of 1985. Phone connector and BT hub both got fried with the lightning, but that was minor compared to the awful flooding and devastation that people up around Counties Tyrone and Londonderry had. I heard today of one farmer who lost nearly 60 sheep, simply washed away down the river.

Terrible for everyone concerned, it does make you wonder what has happened to traditional good summer weather.

Swami

• Like Like x 2
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,080
    Snap, i woke up at 4.30am this morning to torrential rain and thunder and lightening. it was so loud and i got up to look out the window and watch it (i love a good storm so long as im cosy and wrapped up!)

I bought a new sun lounger in Argos in may, i have been on it ONCE this summer - we have had a few nice days but not much use if you are at work and the weekends always seem to be rubbish.

maybe its rose colored spectacles but when i was little and went to my nans in kent for hols we were mostly on the beach mon thro friday
    But England have always had better summers and weather than grey drearyScotland. In my next life im coming back as an Italian, great weather, food, ice cream and lovely people
    Im sorted!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    Back in May we did actually have what I thought was the makings of a good summer but by early July it had fizzled out.

Swami

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    Summer is traditionally the rainy season here. The rain helps keep the temperature from going up so high. Ha! Not this year. We went through a period where it was 90-plus (F) every day for about five weeks, and very little rain to cool it off. I guess it's a trade-off though, because the dry weather kept the mosquitoes from multiplying as much as last year---when the Zika virus was making everyone paranoid.

Still, if I wanted 90-plus/oppressively humid weather, I could have stayed in South Georgia.

5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,231
    Do you think of Savannah as South Georgia? I guess it is, technically. I always think of it as its own little, marshy planet somehow.

6. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,226
    I can see that. If you've hung out downtown, you were probably reminded of the canteen scene from Star Wars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Here in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia a couple of weeks ago, keep in mind it's winter here, I happened to be speaking with an American couple on holidays. For a couple of days it reached 27 c. That's 80.6 Fahrenheit for those overseas. It was stunning weather. So much so people were out and about in shorts and t-shirts. This American couple were in awe of our weather and couldn't believe it's still officially winter. They asked what it's like in summer and I replied earlier this year, February in fact, it reached 47 c. That's 116.6 Fahrenheit. I thought for a moment I may have had to pick up their jaws. That was hot! Thankfully we have stunning beaches to select from here in Newcastle. My favourite, Nobbys Beach.

NobbysBeach-23092015-1116051-1024x341.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    I have seven lawns to cut during a week and it's nearly impossible at the moment to get them dry enough, especially the ones that need the ride-on mower.

And the forecast for this incoming week is nothing special either.

Swami

9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,324
    Autumn has arrived here today. It's been raining all day and only about + 12 degrees celsius outdoors. :(

Not that we've had much of a summer to start with as the media reported about a week ago that the summer of 2017 has been the coldest summer in Sweden in 150 years! :eek:

We haven't had a single day with more than 28 degrees heat anywhere in Sweden.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    There was a relatively chilly feel this morning when I left for work but it turned out a surprisingly decent day. August was well and truly a write-off here.

Swami

11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,080
    its dark when i get up, its dark after 8pm and the card factory has xmas cards in it and debenhams have Xmas paper and crackers in and its still August!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hottest Ive ever been was Ayres Rock - it was 120F and lots of flies!! a bit too hot for me - a pale skinned, bottle milk white Scot!

12. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,338
    Tomorrow is the beginning of the meteorological autumn. Summer is officially over folks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    Autumn is my favourite :) By a million miles. The leaves, the breeze.....Halloween............. :dance:

14. Swami

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,399
    Believe it or not on my way to Belfast this morning I met a gritter/snowplough on the road! We've had everything but snow this summer, I suppose!

Swami