What's that, you say?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Daniel Avery, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    A few quotations (from characters) I scribbled down over repeated viewings. Tell us who said it, and perhaps a brief explanation of the context, such as who it was said to, etc. Hint: these are from the earlier seasons.

"You're a lovely lady, Valene, but you are a royal pain."

"I knew you'd be a formidable adversary. I didn't know you'd be so utterly devoid of decency."

"Morality is something you dwell on after you know where your next meal is coming from."

"It's a biological function, not a holy calling!"

"Well, if things go really well, we'll get you a pie of your very own."

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. hatayas

hatayas Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +356
    That sounds like something JR would say to Val. Now if this is from an early season, then it might be from his first visit on season 1, but I don't remember the exact context..

• Like Like x 2
  3. hatayas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Great quote!!! One of my favorites..

Abby says it to Val when she pays her a visit after they return from San Francisco in the middle of season three.

Gary and Abby had to go to San Francisco to talk to some senator about voting on a bill that could help promote their Methanol business. Val decids to go with them because by that time, she's afraid to leave them alone. In San Francisco, they talk to that senator however he says he can't do anything for them. Val and Gary go home, but Abby stays under a false pretext. Later that night she goes and talks to that senator and in her own special way, convinces him to help them. Gary finds out about it in the morning and tells Val. Gary doesn't care what made the senator change his mind, however Val realizes it was something Abby had done. She goes over to talk to her and there she tells her that what she has done is morally wrong. Abby, very practically tells her that morality is something you can afford to think about, only after you are financially secured ( or in Abby's case, never...). Val doesn't see it that way.
    That encounter shows just how different those two women were and that's why their dynamic over the years was so interesting to watch!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,766
    Medals:
    That's Karen to Susan Philby in Civil Wives after Susan - failing to recapture Sid - has slept with Richard Avery.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Okay, to update:

1. That was indeed JR speaking, in episode 22 (the same episode where he met Abby).
    2. That was indeed Karen smacking down Susan Philby.
    3. That was indeed Abby trying to 'educate' Valene. This was the same conversation where Valene decided she "ought to keep an eye on" Abby, to which Abby classically replied "Do. How else are you going to learn?"

This leaves four and five.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,705
    Medals:
    I think that was Karen's friend, Victoria (played by Jessica Walter), in an argument with Karen. It was during the fashion show episode in season 3.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Yes, Victoria Hill (in the episode "Reunion") was hiding the fact that she resented Karen for having the "perfect life" with a loving husband and kids. When it all boiled over, Victoria made this remark about Karen's being a mother, to which Karen retorted, "It's a calling you never got," or something equally catty.

One more answer and then I'll see if I can dig up five more from the middle seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hatayas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +356
    I think it was said by Abby to Laura on one of their meetings in "Gary Ewing Enterprises"
    Laura was saying something about wanting a piece of the pie and Abby told her that if she plays by her rules, Laura would gain from it.
    I'm not 100% sure though...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Very good!

The scene featured some exposition from Laura, whose point of view had not been explored much to that point.

"Gary's got his millions. You'll get yours, if you haven't already. Karen's husband died and she's happily remarried. Val's husband left her and she's got a best-seller, a new boyfriend, and more money than she's ever had before. Well my husband left me too. The little I've got is 5% of Lotus Point. I think I'm entitled to that piece of the pie, don't you?"

To which Abby gave the reply I cited, which seemed to be the signal that Laura had perhaps chosen to go over to the Dark Side. Luckily she eventually thought better of it.

I'll post some goodies from the middle seasons tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Okay, indulge me a bit here.

In these middle seasons, it seems Laura got a lot of great lines, or found herself amid the wittiest banter on Knots Landing. So to mix it up a little, I'm going to readily admit her involvement in these bits of memorable dialogue.

1. As Greg explained the implications of the Empire Valley hacking equipment*, he says they can use it to delete all of Abby's cable TV station subscribers, or to make Abby's financial situation plunge. "Or better yet, we want Abby to disappear altogether? Da-Di-Da-Di...she's gone."
    What was Laura's response?

2. When Ruth was needling Laura about Abby showing up at the ranch, Ruth said "Surprising how often she drops in." Laura's response was "Uh-huh...like the _____."

3. In a public takedown of Ruth in a restaurant, Laura decides to leave rather than be continually insulted. After telling Ruth off, she announces she's going home to take a bath! Greg wants to go too, but Laura advises him to "stay here and have dinner with mommy, because if she's left here by herself with nobody to pick on, she might...." do what?

4. Later, Laura is indeed in a bubble bath. Greg, yelling through the bathroom door, begs her not to make him break the door down because it would be "too theatrical". What was Laura's no-nonsense reply?

5. In episode 173, what occurred at the Lotus Point Christmas party to make Laura quip, "Well, there goes my holiday spirit."

*Greg Sumner was into international computer hacking and identity theft waaay before it was cool.

• Like Like x 2
  11. hatayas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +356
    tough ones...:think: but I'll try

"She might start gnawing on her own arm"

• Like Like x 1
  12. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    1. JR. said that Valene.
    2. Karen to Susan
    1. JR to Val
    2. Karen to Susan
    Still working on the others.:embarrassed:

13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,766
    Medals:
    Ok - it's a while since I've watched, so apologies if I'm misquoting slightly. But...

"Where do I sign up."

I want to say "Terminator", but I'm not so sure about this one.

"Start gnawing on her own arm."

"And stupid, since it's not locked."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Ding ding ding! We have folks who came to play, ladies and gentlemen....

1. Indeed, it was "Where do I sign up?" The line is memorable, and I believe film of the conversation was used as one of Constance's "picture panels" in the opening titles.

3. Probably my favorite exchange involving those three, and I used that line last week at work (long story), so it stands the test of time.

4. Almost exactly! It was "Not to mention dumb, since it's not locked." Also, when he asked how long she planned to be in there, she said "tell me how long you plan to be out there, then add one minute!" :dance:

#2 and #5 might be too obscure, I fear, but you all have come through so far....and you'll kick yourself for #2, in the "so close, yet so far away" category.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff

Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +23
    2. Is it like the plague?
    5. Abby shows up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Our resident would-be-polygamist scores a point! :D Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff got #5 right. Things were going great at the party until Abby arrived, which sent Laura's snark-o-meter into overdrive.

Waiting for another few guesses...after which I'll move on to other characters. There's enough to go around.:popcorn:

17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    2. When Ruth was needling Laura about Abby showing up at the ranch, Ruth said "Surprising how often she drops in." Laura's response was "Uh-huh...like the _____."

Mel O'Drama gamely suggested:

I want to say "Terminator", but I'm not so sure about this one.

She actually used the word "exterminator", as in "the bug guy," but you may have heard the line and thought she said "Terminator" (as in "I'll be back..."). But y'know, that's close as it gets.

So I'll offer a few more of these from the middle seasons.

1. A character in episode 167 remarks to another, "I have this weird sensation that all your friends lead soap opera lives." Who said this, and to whom was it said?

2. Greg, proud of newborn Meg, commented that "She's the spittin' image of her old man. She's even got _____."

3. At Laura's going-away party at Lotus Point, a lecherous man (who nevertheless had great taste) was hitting on an amused Laura. When he asked "What's that perfume you're wearing?" what was her reply?

4. Judith Scott was acting catty toward Abby, who was having none of it. In the bathroom mirror, Abby mocked Judith's previous words. "Oh, DO call me Judith. I'd like to call you _____."

5. In "My Firstborn," Mary Frances asked her father "How can you stand being so rich?" What was Greg's not-so-serious reply?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Medals:
    Just to bump the thread back up, here's a bonus quote from season fourteen:

When Abby returned, she asked Paige if she (Paige) were still sleeping with Greg. What was Paige's sarcastic reply?

19. Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff

Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Every morning, noon and night, twice on the weekends.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hatayas

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +356
    A cab

Here's another one from Judith and Abby:
    Abby to Judith when Judith checks out of Lotus Point: " You know what they say, don't go away uhhappy (or something like that), just....."

• Like Like x 1