When Did Dallas Stop Being Filmed In Texas And Why?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, May 11, 2019.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    If I remember correctly, the miniseries and the next few seasons were all shot in Texas. After that, Dallas was shot partly in TX and partly in Hollywood, but as time went on, they began to shoot less and less in Texas.. Is that right? When was it that they stopped filming all of it in Texas? Didn't they notice that the show seemed more authentic in the years when they did film all or most of it in Texas?

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    It remained mostly the same --- six or so weeks in Texas with those location scenes edited into the first 12 episodes of each season -- until 1989 and the last two seasons, where dropping ratings saw the budget curtailed, so the Texas filming ceased.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,152
    Even during its successful years Southfork scenes were being filmed on a Hollywood soundstage. "Why aren't those clouds moving?" I suspect when Dallas really hit its strides in terms of it becoming the ratings juggernaut the network asked producers to fatten out episodes to extend the season. That's my theory anyway.

I did however appreciate the efforts from producers in filming in Dallas and at Southfork. That Texas heat really showed on the men in particular with sweaty shirts. I bet that Southfork pool was a welcome relief.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    The 1978 miniseries was all shot in Texas, even the interiors, and then the first full season (S2 per DVD count) had its first 10 or so episodes filmed mostly in Texas, and subsequent seasons filmed their first 12 episodes' exteriors in Dallas during the summer. Until 1989, as I said, when they didn't go to Texas (perhaps to offset the expense of filming in Russia and Austria the previous winter).

Structurally, that made good sense. At the beginning of each season, you're dealing with the fallout from the previous spring cliffhanger, and you're also getting your new, parallel plotlines going for the new season. So the locational scenes help fill out the "atmosphere." By the middle of the season, as the plots begin gradually coalescing, you can move more indoors to the Hollywood sets as you head towards the year-end cliffhanger.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,480
    I have to say I was impressed that they did go to Austria and Russia to film those episodes. That was a time period n Dallas when there was some good stuff and also some really bad stuff but I thought the combination honeymoon and business trip JR and Cally went on along with Bobby was pretty good. I liked how April surprised Bobby by showing up and I enjoyed the whole thing. near the end of it, when JR and Bobby refused to accept that huge oil deal since OPEC was behind it, Carter McKay proceeded to give one of the most prophetic monologues ever in Dallas. He described what was going to happen to the world economy. His predictions were amazingly accurate.

6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    And France. They went to France. That probably also ate up their Texas budget.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,152
    That's pure genius...love it :)

8. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    I’ve always wondered why those guys always wore suits around the house.

9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Watching in reruns, I always hate when the show moves to the “fake Southfork” - it looks so low-budget.

The one thing TNT Dallas did right was film the entire series in Texas. So you got authentic location shooting in every episode.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    Medals:
    They could have saved money by filming in Paris, Texas.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,729
    Medals:
    There are things they could have done to make it look and sound less fake, but they rarely bothered.