1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Did Your Favourite Character Annoy You?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Justine, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +795
    So, a little bit of an antithetical question...

I love-love-love-love Sue Ellen's character but when she relapsed back onto the bottle after John Ross' appendicitis and turned up at the hospital too drunk to see him - which most likely would have been another fabulous scene I'm disappointed we didn't see, by the way - I was really annoyed. I can understand the rationale (or, lack of) behind her actions but it still frustrated me.

So, when did your favourite character behave in a way that annoyed you?

2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I don’t recall the details but when JR said Venessa was the love of his life and welcomed James into the family. The first I call BS. The second was a joke and the definitive end of a great series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,700
    Pam
    After years of turmoil and the death of her Romeo she waltzed into JR's office and in a rather cavalier manner offered Christopher's 30% share in Ewing Oil. I could have grabbed her by the shoulders and screamed at her to fight for what was rightfully Christophers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    Pam couldn't even take the stress of being married to Bobby while he was fighting JR and you wanted her to fight JR?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    There was something JR did that annoyed me. He repeatedly asked, Sue Ellen to give him a divorce. JR wasn't raised by Jock to ask for people to give him things. "Nobody gives you power. Real power is something you take." If you need a divorce, you don't ask her to give you a divorce; you make her beg you to give her a divorce.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,616
    That sounds so sinister and villainy - just like JR! I like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,700
    YES!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I agree but one thing which annoyed me across the board about Dallas - the women were weak.
    Some women, and some men are so sure. But everyone, with maybe the exception of Donna, who they sidelined. That’s why when Abbey left Knots Landing there needed to be a reason for her to show up in Dallas. They needed a strong and capable woman, a woman who doesn’t apologize for taking what she wants and waits for no man to give it to her.

9. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,102
    Pam wanting to leap off the building. This was not the strong willed fab woman that that started the show. It just didn’t ring true to me and was a bit dullsville story to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    I never had the idea, even when I first watched Dallas that the women were weak. Pam admitted to Bobby "I don't have the stomach for this" regarding the contest for Ewing Oil but a lot of men don't have the stomach for the oil business either. Then there are some who do, but just have no inclination to be involved in it. It's not for everyone. So I never considered the idea that there were people who wanted Pam to work at Ewing Oil with JR until I joined this board.

Pam didn't like the oil business. She never expressed even the slightest desire for Bobby to teach her the business. She hated how Ewing Oil changed Bobby. I bet she didn't want Christopher to be changed that way by the oil business either.

Even if she wanted to "fight for what was Christopher's", she wouldn't have been competing with JR; she would have been working alongside him. Two people working together running a company aren't competing against each other; they're cooperating with each other. Jock's will set up a situation where they actually could compete while both running Ewing Oil, but that was a one of a kind situation.

Pam had no experience in the oil business which would have allowed her to contribute in any meaningful way. She had never had any enthusiasm for working at Ewing Oil even when Bobby was alive and when their marriage was going well. She had no credentials to be JR's partner either. I mean zero! She had no college degree, she hadn't grown up learning the business or more importantly, even wanting to learn how to be in the business.

She might have wanted Mark to work there with her and help her at one point in time, but that's the last thing that man would have ever wanted. He would have felt like she was trying to turn him into Bobby by having him work at the company Bobby used to help run. Besides, nobody who owns a major oil company such as Mark or Cliff could also work at Ewing Oil. She couldn't even have either Mark or Cliff look at any of the books at Ewing Oil. She'd be giving Ewing Oil secrets to a competitor. That's legally a conflict of interest. Those laws are out in place so someone like Mark or Cliff couldn't work there and then do things like sell Ewing assets to their own companies for half the price they're worth or find out what companies Ewing Oil was about to acquire, find out how much Ewing Oil was going to pay for those companies, and then use their own companies to outbid them. Those would be felonies.

11. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I agree not everyone male or female wants to work in the oil business and that doesn’t make them week. I also got the feeling Bobby never did and he wasn’t weak. And women in Dallas could be strong for moments like Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen, but over all the theme was they were weak and to be used, or they were sidelined like Marilee Stone.

Btw it was Pam who originally pushed Bobby into an expanded role at Ewing Oil. In no way do I think the character grew enough at any point to take on JR as a partner or an enemy. Though she’d have every right to have anyone she wanted to look at the books of the company. EO wasn’t a public business and she owned enough of it (or Chris did) there isn’t much JR could have done to stop her - he certainly couldn’t keep anything from her legally. Yes her using it to diminish the investments of the others, including JR, would lead to problems, but there’s no issue of monopoly or collusion just by advising her. In fact the Cartel itself was a bigger issue for such legal issues, going way beyond a PAC. My guess, they’d been in court a lot. But Pam was too weak for even that - which would just be turning it over to her lawyers.

They could have made Pam stronger over time but choose not to. When they made Sue Ellen stronger she left - that’s my point about women on Dallas being weak. We didn’t see an Abbey Cunningham or Angela Channing or even a Karen McKenzie or Maggie Gioberti.

• Like Like x 1
  12. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I agree she was very strong willed but that never developed into strong and capable. She was strong enough to push Bobby into Ewing oil but not strong enough to learn the business herself. She was strong enough to stay working after she got married, but not strong enough to be able to fend off JR in a real fight. At least that’s how I saw her.

13. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    She shouldn't have. It wrecked their marriage. They got divorced because he had to change to do that type of work and she didn't like the changes.

How many people could? Only the best of the best. Different people have different gifts. I don't even consider strength to be one of the primary factors. Having a unique talent for the business, intelligence, having a great education and/or a great mentor as well as a real love of the business are all things I'd rate much more highly than strength as an indication for potential to excel in the oil business.

14. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +976
    So true. Was a big mistake. She should have encouraged him to work the ranch. JR just wanted the house. If Bobby got the ranch business and they built their own house they could have lived happily ever after.

I would agree with you to success in any business. But if you’re going to get in the way of someone like JR or raise up from poverty in your own right and such things - you’d better be one hell of a strong individual. I think there were a few that could take on JR, women like Donna or Rebecca or Marilee but they’re were sidelined, killed off or sent away. Unlike Abbey Cunningham or Angela Channing where they were major characters on their respective shows. Dallas didn’t seem to want that type of woman and I think that was fine early on - but needed to be added midway through. IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,779
    thats an easy one, Miss Ellie no 2 / Robot Reed *cough splutter* annoyed me all thro original S7 from the minute she appeared in Ep 7 The Homecoming! one i always FWD

And Bobby annoyed me all thro what i could watch of TNT

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,973
    It's no secret around here that Ray is one of my favorite characters. I enjoyed him from the very beginning as Ray Krebbs, the ranch foreman, and I especially enjoyed his redemption arc when he hit rock bottom after Jock died.

That's why it is out of character, and annoying, for Ray to move off of Southfork and go to Europe.

One more thing they just couldn't justify in the later years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +541

I can understand why she did it. She could either subject herself, and later Christopher, to constant battles with J.R. and then John Ross, or she could sell the shares for a huge profit and invest the money for Christopher to have when he was old enough to make his own decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I wanted to slap Pam when she responded "I just don't know Bobby." after Bobby told her that if he could have her back, nothing else mattered. H-E-L-L-O, your hunk of a husband who adores you and your son, wants to make a fresh start with you anywhere you want and you don't rush him back to your hotel room?

I was also annoyed with her when she cruelly told him "Bobby, it was just sex.". Very out of character for her to say something like that to him.

I wanted to smack Bobby when he didn't ask Pam about the letter that Katherine had read to him. He knew Pam well enough for it to raise a red flag that something didn't seem right. And also when he stopped Pam from telling him that she wanted to try getting back together in Thanksgiving Square. H-E-L-L-O, she showed up with a happy encouraging look on her face.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,700
    I too liked the feisty Pam in those early seasons but the moment she was desperate to have a child the writers placed the character in a fog. However, I'm looking at this from a male's perspective and not from a woman who feels tortured in not having children.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,211
    Miss Ellie, and she irritated me all the time, in that she was not only constantly turning a blind eye to JR's behavior, but the only time she'd shut down a family argument is if someone dared to respond to JR.

Passive-aggressive much?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1