When should they ended the storyline ....

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Chippie, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Chippie

Chippie Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I find that Dynasty dragged out a certain storyline until the fans were banging their heads and as a result characters which started in season one and two as being multidimensional became predictable and boring one dimensional characters . . . between Aaron spelling, the producers and writers letting Joan get her way with doing things her way and John Forsythe dictating what he would and would not allow for his character - it was no wonder they weren't cancelled in season 7. At the same time they cut short certain promising storylines with no wrap-up or satisfactory ending for fans (i.e.Dominique leaving, Amanda leaving, etc)

for example I think they should have ended Alexis's obsession with Blake and revenge in season 6. It was so predictable - let it go - Alexis should have just faced it that Blake was a bastard for banishing her from Denver but that she could have stayed and fought for her children even if that meant being cut off from Blake's money. Focus on building Colbyco and her relationship with her children. That does not mean she would have had cosy relationship with Blake and joint holiday celebrations but jeez - how many times did we see Alexis swear revenge on Blake and Krystle?

FYI - sorry I posted before I fixed the thread - should have been "
    Which storyline should have been extended or cut . . ."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AndyLaird

AndyLaird Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +169
    The rivalry between Blake and Alexis became the defining feature of the show so I can understand they were reluctant to let it go. It felt forced in s8 when after having got onto more peaceful terms they became rivals for governorship so they could have dropped it before then, and reached the rapprochement that was hinted at in the Reunion.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,978
    The rivalries between Alexis and Blake, as well as Alexis and Krystle, were just fine -- had they continued to have been written adequately.

DYNASTY got into a pattern in S6 thru S8 of dragging out the pathetic plots (e.g., Krystle in the attic, Cassie Yates babysitting Kwyathteeena for seemed like months) forever, while truncating the promising ones to almost a mere suggestion and then dropping them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,617
    That is perhaps the exact opposite of what they should have done. Alexis vs Blake and Krystle vs Alexis were the kind of soap dynamic that can sustain itself not over a few seasons but decades, IF written and executed properly (which, of course, it mostly wasn't). Just look at Katherine Chancellor and Jill Abbott's rivalry on The Young and the Restless, which went on for at least 30 years! One of the most popular storylines to spring out of that rivalry didn't even happen until season 25.

You just don't mess with that kind of thing. It's the gift that keeps on giving. That being said, you can weave the focus on it in and out of the story (to give it a break every now and then) and Lord knows there were several other things they shouldn't have dragged out, but that's certainly not one of them. Those were the cornerstones of the show. If they were gone, the show would be worse than it ever was -- hard as that is to believe!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,011
    Cut: Post-Moldavia! Boo! Hiss! Trash!

Extend: Peter De Vilbis and also Alexis' living in the mansion again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,978
    Oh, baby, no!

Just do post-Moldavia better!

I'd be fine with Alexis spending more time at the mansion, maybe, if they hadn't wasted the time she was there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    What on earth happened to Leslie? Did they just leave her to die in that cabin?

I don't even think she got the "Amanda" kiss off where at least they mentioned where she was off screen, but I might be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,011
    I'm glad I never found out, she had already outstayed her un-welcome.

9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,163
    You are right, after Adam & Steven left her badly injured in that cabin, she was never even mentioned again. o_O Last day of her bad-hair-life. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 3