1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

When They See Us

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Justine, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +500

Disclosure: This 4-episode series on Netflix is TRAUMATIC. I've only watched the first two but I've been in tears from start to finish.

It's the story of the Central Park Five and it's beautifully done. Everyone involved in the series deserves all the awards available, especially the writer and director Ava DuVernay.

Has anyone else watched?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    I just finished the last season of THE LAST KINGDOM and the trailer for this came up. It looks like it's going to be quite an emotional ride which I think we will do this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    We finished this last night it was really hard going, especially by what happened with Korey. All five of them went through their own kind of hell, but Korey's story really was heartbreaking. It was superbly executed and I'm going to watch the Oprah Winfrey documentary hopefully by the end of the week.

I wish they had given some information on what happened to the people responsible for convicted these lads, assuming they were prosecuted for their role in all this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Actually, they seem to have been living pretty comfortable lives until fairly recently when the story exploded. Linda Fairstein and Elizabeth Lederer especially.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,117
    Medals:
    I think I'm a pretty tough person but this series had me in tears. The injustice that those boys went through was truly heart-breaking. It is a brilliantly made TV production that everyone should watch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  6. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,116
    Medals:
    US President Donald Trump has stood by his comments about five men who were wrongly convicted for the brutal rape of a jogger in Central Park in 1989, saying they had "admitted their guilt".

Following the arrest of the five teenagers, Mr Trump paid for newspaper adverts calling for the return of the death penalty in the state.

The Central Park Five were exonerated in 2002, after another man confessed.

They say their earlier confessions were a result of police coercion.
    The case has received renewed public attention in recent weeks, following the release of Netflix mini-series When They See Us.

"They put a bounty on our heads by taking out these full-page ads calling for our deaths," one of the men, Yusef Salaam, said last month.

Mr Trump was asked by a reporter at the White House on Tuesday if he would apologise to the five men for the newspaper ads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48687356

Arse.

7. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    That's great, but they fill me with so much rage and even more when they try and continue with their assumption that these boys were guilty.

Course he has because he's a complete jerk who prefers to be the centre of attention rather than conduct a civil and positive future for America. Double arsed twat that he is!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,117
    Medals:
    Does anyone know what happened to the cop played by Felicity Huffman and the district attorney played by Vera Farmiga? Were they prosecuted for corruption, perverting the course of justice or some other charge related to their role this miscarriage of justice?

9. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    Justine shared a link up above for those two

10. Angela Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,117
    Medals:
    Thanks, I didn't realise those were the characters names. So they weren't prosecuted which is another miscarriage of justice.

11. Omg

Omg Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,822
    Just like Trump and all the other racists, they claim that they believe these guys were guilty. I'd also like to see justice for them as well as the coppers who interviewed them without any responsible adults and without any breaks. The whole lot stinks.

But what I find worse is this is just one story, how many others have suffered like these guys because of racist people in power this drama has highlighted.

• Agree Agree x 1