When you lose your lead character!

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Pamela_E, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    For me, JR is ALWAYS the main man ;)

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    Roger Davis was also pretty dreadful during his tenure on Dark Shadows. He was tasked to play several different characters (as many DS actors did), but all of them were basically the same, and he made little effort to differentiate them. I can only describe his screen presence as "hammy". It looked especially bad when the other actors were so adept at making their different characters so memorable.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,956
    "Obvious"? Anne seemed like the star of nuDALLAS to me.

But one of the only things nuDALLAS did right was how they handled JR's death.

No doubt. Middling actor. But those cheekbones and jawline fit Collinwood.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    [​IMG]
    (thank you!, says Ann)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    i think bringing dark shadows into it doesn't really count since it is techincally a soap opera, yeah Dallas can be called that too but that wasn't on for 5 years with 1245 episodes either like Dark Shadows has. that only was cancelled cause of 2 things, ratings were down cause the film hurt it i think. the 1st film cause they made the film gory not too gory but it had some in it. and parents thought that the show was like that instead of actually watching it and seeing for themselves that it didn't they made their kids stop watching it and it hurt the ratings.

2ndly they ran out of ideas and were starting to redo stuff they already had done in the past. okay how about Grey's Anatomy once Patrick Dempsey left a couple years ago. last season was i think medicore at best but this one is so far pretty good. the show didn't fail like i think many thought it would once he left. and for me the X files and i may have said this in the past also wasn't a failure though many think it was. IF they had done what they did with All in the family and just changed the name of the show to something else. cause if you think about it, All in the family was on for 12 years. the whole cast but one left that is true but he played Archie until (1983) that's a pretty solid run and the show Archie bunker's place is actually pretty damn good i think. with Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara to people i just love to death and i also am a fan of their son as well.

but if X files had gone on and just been called something else i dunno the X factor, yes that is a different show that does exist now but i can't remember if it did back than after Mulder left and Scully more or less did as well though she didn't have as much to do as the 9th season i don't think. its' been awhile since i last watched those seasons. but they i think are pretty good shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    With On The Buses, for the later episodes, Stephen Lewis was moved from the end of the opening credits to the start after Reg Varney’s departure.

7. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,798
    I agree that Dark Shadows had started to repeat itself (re-living past glories, as it were) but the main reason the show ran out of steam was because Jonathan Frid refused to play Barnabas any more. Fans of the series clamored for more Barnabas, but he was having none of it--he was already typecast, and feared continuing to play that role would make it impossible for him to be accepted in other roles. So they created "Bramwell" for him and the Parallel Time 1840 story...which was not very compelling. It looked as if the show would never return to 1971 and instead be stuck in alternate time periods in order to keep Frid from walking (as many of the most popular regulars already had).

I guess you could say they lost their lead character, but not their lead actor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,467
    I would defend Roger Davis's narration of the opening credits, though. He did a wonderful job with those lines. When he was bumped up to series star, he was replaced as narrator by some personality-free voice.
    Me, too. They never got too much notice here, but I loved them whenever I saw them and even picked up one of their albums in a used record store.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    I just had to Google this as I wasn't sure if I'd dreamt it, but no... they really did continue Beauty And The Beast without Linda Hamilton.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Amazon's Transparent is currently losing the leading character played by Jeffrey Tambor, he will be killed off when the next season starts. He quit after two transwomen associated with the show (one of them played his friend) accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior. Interestingly enough they were already trying to get rid of him and his character and considered killing him off even before this scandal. :eek::D He must have been so popular on that set!
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    honestly i don't put blame on Frid for that cause he is right on demanding to play a different character. Alexandara Moltke wanted to play a different character other than Vicki as well and she left for 2 reasons 1 she was preggors but when after her son was born. they asked her to come back and she i think wanted vicki to be evil or something i forget, in short she wanted to play a different Character since everyone else pretty much was able to well other than Frid. and as much as she was missed when she left the show i would have loved seeing her stretch her acting muscles in another role the same with Frid who was doing a LOT of theatre and even more so after he retired from film and tv. Frid wasn't saying he won't ever play Barnabas again he was saying i want to play a different Character and the problem with that was that the did the story The Lottery and

the reason it failed was because they were about halfway through it when they were cancelled. cause honestly it started off pretty strong and Frid was really good in a different role.
    but when they got cancelled the ending i think was rushed. hell before Frid demanded to play a different role the writing was starting to repeat itself. a good example would be an evil Quentin who is my favorite Character by the way, and than you had an evil Gerald that's the same story pretty much... hell look how many times Dallas Repeated itself as well ya know?

so i don't think the main Reason was Frid. if you look at the cast leaving certain characters that only played one Character and one story but the main cast... nearly everyone pretty much got to play a different role more than once, hell Thayer David played like i think like to throw a number out there i forget how many it actually was he played like 17 different

characters the most out of any actor or actress out of that entire series. i don't think the number was that high 12 would be a better number but by (1970) they were starting to repeat themselves. i dunno when it started but i don't blame frid. i also think they got carried away with the Parell time, sorry for my bad spelling, i doubt that was Frid that demanded that...
    they saw that the 1st time they did it was such a huge hit that it took half a year cause it was extended from 3 months cause it was doing so well that they thought that well hell

the fans if they loved that they will love this... some of them worked and some of them didn't. i also think they ruined the character of Joe as well, i hated what they did with him and Maggie as well.. i realize they both wanted to leave the show but still... what's really funny is that when Adam left he went upstairs i think to hide and he never left nor was he ever brought up again. so there were things they forgot about too... like Vicki's Parentage which they could have touched upon more than they did instead of making her the dumbest character on that entire show. which is really sad cause like Pam barns on Dallas she starts off strong but for some reason she turns into a wuss.

anyways sorry about the ramble that's my 2nd favorite tv show of all time hence the rambling lol. yes they continued B. & the beat without Linda Hamilton i don't remember how it was as i have not watched the show since i think the 90's.

another show that didn't turn to crap during it's run was Family matters once the Original Harriet Left the show, or i forget her name on the fresh prince of Bel Air those shows were still enjoyable and weren't cancelled i don't think cause of that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Both that Two and a Half Men situation but also when he replaced Michael J Fox on Spin City.

The BBC’s Survivors (1975-77) lost Carolyn Seymour as lead character Abby Grant when the producer (Terence Dudley, who fell out with series creator Terry Nation, who had no involvement after series 1) fired her and suggested that the character was dead. The second lead, Ian McCulloch remained as Greg Preston as a lead with former guest character Charles Vaughan (Denis Lill) reintroduced as a another lead in the series 2 opener that burned half the series 1 cast to death. Some of the other regulars were bumped off during series 2, such as Chris Tranchell’s character visiting an infected Birmingham and dying, shortly after becoming a father. Then in the series two closer, Ian McCulloch left after not enjoying how Denis Lill’s character affected his. He returned as a guest lead in S3ep2, which he wrote and which didn’t feature Denis Lill. Then the producer decided to kill him in an episode that Ian McCulloch wrote. So in s3ep10, which doesn’t feature Denis Lill, Greg gets stabbed, thrown into a river, reaches the man he had been looking for and catches smallpox from him, joins up with the men who had tried to kill him, saves the Survivors from the killers and deliberately makes most of the Survivors think he is a villain (apart from Agnes, who understood Greg’s Norwegian goodbye translated as “I have smallpox”) and is last en riding off into the distance with the men who were and are plotting to kill him. The next episode reveals that Greg is dead but had deliberately infected the killers with smallpox and locked them away until he died and they died. Although the boss got out. Survivors continued to the end of the third series.

Terence Dudley had produced Doomwatch but quickly fell out with series creators Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis, who had no involvement after series two. Out of the three main characters, Robert Powell became the heartthrob character but he quit near the end of series 1, so Toby Wren exploded at the end of the first series, just after saving people from an even bigger bomb, which created a strong series two opener, Who Killed Toby Wren?. By series three, Simon Oates had become bored, so his character went crazy from a dodgy paint incident and only appeared in a handful of episodes in the last series. A sad coincidence saw him filming scenes about his character’s father’s death at the same time as his own father died. The main characters from Doomwatch only have small parts in the Doomwatch movie that was released in 1972.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  13. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was quite disappointed when they did that. Not because of Charlie Sheen per se but Heather Locklear had recently joined the show and I thought the better move would have been to promote her character to deputy mayor. As it was, Charlie Sheen ended up sounding like a clone of Fox - no doubt because his lines had been written with Fox's idiosyncrasies in mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    They did and even went ahead and killed her off. I don't think season 3 wasn't as bad as some people say and in a way I wish it would've been given a chance for a full third season just to see how they would've continued it without her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    The Dukes of Hazzard lost the leading characters of Bo and Luke Duke for most of season five, due to contractual issues and replaced them with the previously unmentioned characters of Coy and Vance Duke. Which coincided with a ratings drop. Until Bo and Luke Duke returned and Coy and Vance Duke vanished forever near the start of that particular episode. The show did another two full seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    He died during production of the fifth series but the character wasn’t killed off until the beginning of the sixth series. So they explained his absence away and had characters referring to just having spoken to Tom over the phone.

The initial title for it during production planning was The Boatbuilders. It does get mentioned that the Way may be a reference to the slipway.
    https://www.zetaminor.com/cult/howards_way/howards_way_intro.htm

17. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,467
    Contractual issues also saw Kotter missing from Welcome Back Kotter for most of its final season. His absence was covered by promoting him to Vice-Principal - a position he had refused in an earlier episode.

John Travolta also left that year and his character Barbarino was replaced by another would be ladies' man - a Southerner named Beau.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Leonard Rossiter starred in Tripper’s Day but died while the series was being transmitted. It was revived as Slinger’s Day, starring Bruce Forsyth.

19. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    so some shows it can work when the lead leaves. now on Castle for example the reason that was cancelled was cause the actress who played Kate her Contract was up and they were gonna not renew it and kill her off even though the show was her and castle he wasn't just the show she was too. fans like me got pissed causes they were gonna kill her and have him my guess date someone else at some point in the following season and it wouldn't have been as good. they had already started planning the next season but the fans got pissed and they ending up cancelling it that last season. which wasn't that bad of last season actually.

i've been watching a couple other shows as of late. i recently bought "Friday the 13th the series' now i'm not talking about the films but the tv show. has anyone ever seen that? if not please seek it out. but here's a warning the i'd say the 1st four episodes are pretty weak episodes. the acting in the Pilot isn't that great but it got better in the 2nd episode and in one episode in season 1. you have Veronica mars's father Enrico Colantoni billed as Rico Colantoni and he's got not a lot but some hair in it. it's; one of his 1st acting jobs and the episode is called the Root of all evil and it's not that great of an episode but it's not awful either. he plays the villian in it and is quite good in it.

that show was on for 3 years from (1987-1990) the reason that was cancelled was they did a lot of stuff that pushed the envelope on what could be seen on tv back than. and they got a shit ton of complaints one episode in season 3. if i'm thinking of the right episode is called Spirit of television well the subject of that episode when you watch it got so much hate mail and if my memory is right it involves the KKK. now once you watch that episode which i am not that far yet. i'm only on season 1. you will get why people complained so much and it was doing great in the ratings but NBC who i think showed it got so tired of the complaints that they during the filming of the 20th episode the last one of season 3 cancelled the show.
    it didn't end on a clif-hanger actually which is really nice. it also wasn't intended as a series finale or a season finale either.

having said that i've also been watching a show that i also bought recently The Original Star Trek on blu-ray. i'm only on episode #4 i think? Mudd's women. i did watch it when it was on Sci-fi Channel back in the day and they premired the uncut episodes but i don't recall if i watched the entire series or not. i've been watching them in production order for season one. a question for those big fans does it really matter which order you watch them in? for Star Trek at least in the order i'm watching it in, it makes sense cause of the small changes that were made during filming it. and than there's my favorite show of all time too. Lost in Space that's my favorite show of all time. i love 60's tv. Lost in space may have ended up a pretty cheesy tv show but it didn't start out that way. it was a serious show that for some reason they made it into a comedy of sorts. honestly i love the serious stuff more so than the comedy and it really breaks my heart they changed so much of it. but i still love it either way. i'm only on the episode Mr. Nobody from season 1 i think i'm about halfway done with that episode thus far.

20. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,467
    That's just what they did with MacMillan and Wife. The story is that despite their onscreen chemistry Rock Hudson and Susan Saint James never got along and Rock only agreed to return if they fired Susan. So they killed of the Wife, changed the name to just MacMillan, and had Mac date a series of different women. That, not surprisingly, was the final season.