When you lose your lead character!

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Pamela_E, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,956
    That's interesting; I'd heard she'd asked for a huge raise they refused her. She later confessed she'd "acted like the Queen of Sheba."

2. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Could be both though - Rock Hudson and producers disliked her, so when she finally gave them the chance to get rid of her they did. It's rarely black and white in these situations to be honest.

3. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    i dunno if that was the case with Castle to be honest. i always thought that Nathan Fillian got along with Stana Katric i could be wrong yes. but i don't think he and yes i could be wrong on this said to ABC that he wouldn't come back if she was fired. Her Contract was up and on how i viewed it was like this, on Once Upon a Time the way they went this season which

took forever for me to like it. it was really lagging for awhile not horrible episodes but just different. where ABC didn't fire any of the cast and say your contract is up so we decided to go another way. on how i took it was and i'm sure there is more to it than what's been released in both cases. but on what has been released thus far Once Upon a Time a good number of
    them i think were ready to Leave like Jennifer Morrison who did say after so many years on tv from doing House and how i met your mother she needed a break from tv. i get that i don't like it but i get that. like Having Henry as an adult for example where Jared is only 16 or 17 i think he's 17 now but he's not in his 20's yet is my point. and too young to have a daughter

that's suppose to be about 8 or 9 years old. but i wouldn't be surprised of some of them were ready to leave and some of them just didn't like the direction the show was going. so they changed it up. either way the show isn't as good as before since it lost a lot of the Original cast but it's still a great show.

some of may even be cause of pay they wanted a raise and ABC said no. just another guess as well. with Castle i think the show was still a great show when it ended. it did have plenty of flaws though by the end that weren't there such as the boys Ignoring Rick's ideas well when he had a good one when in the early days they would both humor hum and also listen to him.

later on they were just curious on what he had to say even if it was stupid as hell. i've never Seen Moonlighting but from what i understand those 2 didn't get along at all in real life and they hated each other to the point that it hurt the show and killed it. people blame the writing on that show when i don't think it was just the writing on how after they slept together was done. it was the behind the scenes stuff that hurt the show and killed it. watching the behind the scenes stuff on castle you can tell the cast and crew are having fun doing the show.
    i know that on X-files Gillian Anderson and David D. at least on the Original run at times both hated each other and weren't close until after the show ended.

but i don't think it hurt the show at all even when they had them kissing the few times they did or show emotion. they put that aside and were able to do the job at hand. because they loved doing the show it was just working with each other for so many hours that drove them crazy i think. i get that than you take a fantastic show that has also it's ups and downs like Supernatural where the boys love the fans and respect them. where during conventions and such that are posted online you can tell it's not fake that they actually mean it.

and they talk to them on twitter and such too. none of the stuff that cast and crew do at those is fake and you can tell too. to the point they pick on whoever doing the questions and the person asking also picks on them back. one of my favorite things was a fan asked Mark Shepard the actor who played Crowley. about stuff fans have sent him. and he said being honest some of it was really nice but some of it is creepy. and than he goes on and says a fan once drew him and made him all fat and he says he took a look at it and asked himself that fans see him that heavy so he lost weight cause he became aware of that.

that's being honest to fans i think. he wasn't mad about it either but he was being honest. stuff like that i respect ya know? they've done recasting on some characters on that show and some of it has worked and some of it hasn't. such as them changing the actor who played Satan with Rick Springfield last season and honestly he did pretty damn good. but he wasn't as good as the Original actor and the fans wanted that actor back so much so that they later in the season brought him back. that's listening to the fans ya know? when it comes to some shows you can tell it's PR. another relationship that is i don't think fake is the show Bones that cast loved doing the show and the 2 leads from interviews i've read are that close well not close enough to date or anything like that.

but working together for so long i can see a cast becoming a family ya know? making a show can at times give the leads 20 hrs making the show ya know. that's how i view things anyways

4. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    also don't forget that Tom Baker when he was doing the show was at times a complete ass. and treated some people like shit. when we and him lost Sarah Jane the new lead i forget her name right now without looking he for awhile treated like dirt than she stood up to him. i think whens she left the 1st Romana also had do to that as well than when Lalla Ward left he also did the same thing during the filming of Meglos. but what i do give him credit for is since than he's even admitted that his ego got the better of him and that he was an ass.

and he has since done my guess a lot of apologizing for it. though Irony is Lalla Ward and him he now won't do a thing with her when it comes to the show. my guess it has to do with how and why they got divorced. you also had William Hartnell cause of his illness treat some people like crap and others kind as well during his tenure. i say it like that cause he took the role really Serious and he i think also thought some people maybe didn't act professional enough or something i don't remember all that was said about him. but than Bette Davis and Joan Crawford were the same way. some cast they'd treat like a daughter and others they'd treat like dirt for whatever reason.

5. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Actually, Tom Baker has worked with both Louise Jameson and Lalla Ward in recent years and has recorded audio plays with each of them.

6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,467
    Could be. I'm just repeating what I've read.
    I have no idea about that. It was not my intention to imply that it was.

7. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    than maybe Tom Baker and her Made up since he's now sober and clean. but if you look at the dvd releases at least the ones i have he's not on any of them with her. so to hazard a guess unless i'm wrong maybe they have since made up? if so i'm glad to hear that cause for years he wanted nothing to do with the show. yes he loves the show but other than Cons he's been going to in recent years as far as i know. like many Doctor who cast who ignore it for years they at some point accept their past and all that. kinda like how Christopher E. the 9th doctor
    wanted nothing to do with the show and only did it for a job more or less but he talked about it in an interview about a year ago or two i think it was?

having said that. i have no idea if i'm right about any of this or wrong. but to hazard a guess i got some of it right he he. funny thing he shares the same b-day as my brother. though he's 40 years older than him he he

8. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Tom Baker and Lalla Ward have been recording Big Finish Doctor Who audio Adventures together since 2013.

9. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +250
    i haven't heard any of those yet.

10. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +981
    The BBC’s children’s show, Rentaghost (which began in 1976), lost two of it’s three lead ghosts when actor Michael Darbyshire (who played the late Hubert Davenport) died in 1979 and this caused Anthony Jackson (who played the late Fred Mumford, who forms Rentaghost after his death) to decline from reappearing. Although the show continued to run with new until 1984, with Michael Staniforth remaining as Mr Claypole through the entire run. It did become a much lighter show after the loss of two of it’s leads, since both characters had troubled relationships with their relatives. Fred Mumford’s dad hasn’t noticed that his son has been dead for six months (because Fred was working abroad and fell off a cross-Channel ferry and drowned and his body was never found) and dad doesn’t like Fred, viewing him as a disappointment. Hubert gets bothered by his late mother. Fred and Hubert’s absence is explained by them touring and haunting stately homes.

Anthony Jackson had previously been a regular on the comedy, Bless This House, which had ended due to the death of Sid James.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    This has reminded me of another of Bob Block's children's fantasy series from the Seventies...

In the first series of Pardon My Genie, the titular character was played by the wonderful Hugh Paddick:
    [​IMG]

Sadly, there's no Paddick in the second series where Arthur White took over the Genie role:
    [​IMG]

My introduction to the show has been through the DVDs. As yet I haven't felt compelled to buy the second series due to Paddick's absence. But I dare say I will at some point. After all, there's still Roy Barraclough.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Sometimes I think it´s just a matter of chemistry: one single actor leaves the show and the whole thing goes to hell. If Bobby hadn´t shown up at Pam´s shower, "Dallas" would´ve probably followed this route (one last season after the dream?).

I finished the series "Extant" the other day, and couldn´t help but notice how much the show´s quality had deteriorated from one season to the next. Season 1 was bold, had a fast pacing and also a heart, with Halle Berry´s passionate performance of an astronaut who returns to Earth with a "gift". Suddenly, the Season 2 premiere began to show how many changes were to be done, including the exit of the actor who played Halle´s husband, the very delicious Goran Visnjic.

[​IMG]
    Didn´t know Goran (right front hunk)
    also was "Spartacus". I must watch this.
    Urgently...:dance:

Let´s face it: Goran is not a great actor. He sort of became George Clooney´s replacement on "E.R." (I´m watching his first season there now), but he had a great chemistry with Halle and his scientific character balanced the all-heart woman that Berry played. Once he was gone, enter Jeffrey Dean Morgan playing practically the same character he played on "The Good Wife". And the show instantly became predictable and formulaic. Was it because of Goran´s absence? Was it because of J.D.´s flat delivery? Or because the scripts got worse? Maybe it was a little bit of the last two, but I wished the show had ended sooner (it was canceled after an overlong Season 2).

[​IMG]
    Anjelica rules big time. Always
    On the other side, "Smash" also did a re-tooling for its sophomore year, trying to recover its huge initial ratings. But they didn´t. The bottom line is that everything they did improved the show: they axed some "expendable" characters (who needs a family in a Broadway-centered show?), hired a few more young, god-looking little birds (Jeremy Jordan and Andy Mientus among them), kept the two female veterans of Season 1 (Messing and Huston), and softened the bitchier female lead played by Megan Hilty. The storylines were new and fresh, updating the theme of the fight for success in musicals. The new songs were fantastic and catchy, and the concept of putting on an off-Broadway musical was appealing. Besides, it had an (almost) happy, close ending.

[​IMG]
    And now something for the straight eye:
    Meet Megan Hilty

But critics and public bashed it, and production problems were endless. But who cares? I loved it. Chemistry was there and didn´t depend on the supporting cast. They just remained faithful to the original concept and kept both gorgeous leads (Hilty and Katharine McPhee) front and center. A smash hit, no doubt. At least for me.:clap:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018