Where were you when Dallas ended?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Sarah, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Tomorrow, October 6th marks the anniversary of the end of Dallas' run in the UK. I know America was May 3rd.

What did you do on this day? Where were you and how did you feel?

I was 15 years old, it was a Sunday afternoon and I was in my room, with my mum who was also a fan, watching it on my little tiny tv. I was in bits. It was the end of an era for me and I remember feeling so strange that this was finally happening. I was delighted to see Linda back for Conundrum but remember thinking the Angel was a little strange. I hated how weak JR had become. And when he lifted the gun to his head I remember saying 'No...no!'

After it was all over my dad brought us cups of tea for support ;) I was so sad :(

• Like Like x 3
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    I thought the final series was poor and have never watched it again, mainly as there was hardly anyone original left, Barbara, Victoria, Linda, Charlene, Steve and Susan, Howard too were all part of my Dallas dream cast

Larry and Patrick were not Dallas, it was an ensemble show, and was a shadow of its former self. It seemed that larry and Patrick got paid to turn up at work, have fun and play at being buddies and who cared about the plots as they were getting paid $$$$$ to do it. katzman and hagman had lost sight of why Dallas was a success in the first place

SF, family, relationships and charaters that you cared for and identified with, who touched your heart on screen and off.

I watched only out of loyalty to the once great show i loved and adored and i didnt care one jot for the plots, the newbies and the second rate cast who made the intro credits. there was no one left really that i liked, cared for, identified with and worried over.

it was a wet sunday in scotland and as soon as it finished i ran upstars and put on The reckoning from S5, that was MY Dallas! I felt sad that the once jewel in the BBCs crown and top ratings winner was relegated to a 3pm slot on a sunday afternoon and that it was beaten in the ratings by repeats of Pot Black, snooker or John wayne films on BBC2 shown for the umpteeth time
    It was like how the mighty have fallen and been dropped by the Beeb, but with the current cast (asides from LH, PD, KK) I could understand it.

And still is! You can stick s13 original and TNT Dallas where the sun dont shine! :rip: The 2 things i remember about final series

April died and yes i cheered, no more simpering April/hammy SJW
    and JR got shot by Joel Grey from cabaret and had red eyes
    id score zero on a quiz show about what hapened in the final season. I dont remember, dont recall and Im happy with that!!

in 1980 i started to keep a diary, (letts schoolgirl) it always had an entry on the day Dallas was on with a resume of what happened each epiosde. It always said to start
    Dallas was on, it was fantastic, great - pick an adjective

Final series i would write Dallas was on but its not a Dallas that i know or love

• Like Like x 5
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,110
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    "Dallas" finished in my city´s station (TV3, not to be confused with the Irish channel) on 2, August 1992, more than one year later than in US. That season had been aired in other regions of my country dubbed into Castillian Spanish and as a daytime soap (go figure...), though I had been watching the Catalan version. About the place, I was in front of my TV set, with my jaw dropped...Not really, because I had already read about it (spoilers did exist back then! But on paper...).

I thought I couldn´t be more disappointed until I finally watched the episode (aired in 2 parts here), which disappointed me still more. It seemed to be very pedestrian and sloppy, with no "organic" dramatic weight. I mean, before shooting himself, J.R. hallucinates about the M.C. from "Cabaret" and a few former actors parade all through the episode, and some of them from the latter years?

I guess that, once the end titles had finished, I ran to take my notebook (remember them?) and began to make up a way of giving closure to the 1.389 loose ends left by the writers (I initially titled that "Southfork" and it was going to be a fanfic with several seasons...I´ll publish this one of these days, but as a Miniseries and retitled "The Last Years of Southfork").

Of course, I was deeply saddened by the absence of BBG, Victoria and Charlene, especially. I remember that by then, I had watched all "Dallas", all "Falcon Crest", "Dienasty" (seasons 1 to 6 and subsequent cliffhangers), and the only major soap I had pending was "Knots Landing", only aired until the Season 4 premiere. A couple of months later that same year of 1992, the same channel was so kind to resume its airing, about 70 episodes further into the show, with the Season 7 premiere.

I probably was the only one watching this (well, I and a few friends I know that read this but are more quiet than moi) because the audience got lost with all the sudden changes (I don´t mean those in JvA´s face now): suddenly Val was given 2 babies she had had in the hiatus, Alec Baldwin was her stepbrother, and Donna Mills wore 3 times more eyeliner...At least they did air it until the very end, and the missing seasons were never aired in Spain (though they had been paid by the Spanish viewers because it was a public network!).

When "Knots" ended one year later, then I did realize that the soap era was gone. It was the 90´s! And nobody wore shoulderpads anymore!! But I had my mega-collection of vhs recordings of "Dallas" and "Knots" (I still have those episodes, transferred onto dvd...). Thankfully, now I have many more friends to talk about them than I used to have...

upload_2016-10-5_21-28-46.png
    PS: Between the end of "Knots" and my discovery of Ultimate Dallas, I spent a few years editing summaries of every season (in 4 hour-tapes) and compiling interviews and other appearances of the main cast. When I got hold at the True Hollywood Story special, I chopped all of it and made a 4-hour documentary about "Dallas", which I still have. Honestly, though it was very roughly edited, it was my pride until I watched the other making-offs and began to share things with the fans on internet. The pic above is the cover of this video special, with on-set photos and rarely seen images (look at Victoria´s curlers on the left!!!).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +713
    All I can remember is crying when the famous ending theme came on at the end on the closing credits.

I grew up with the show & it was hard for me to say Goodbye to it.

Between Dallas & Doctor Who they were the only two shows on telly which I really loved.

I clung to Dallas in 1989 and afterwards after Doctor Who ended in 1989.

So when Dallas ended in 1991 that was my two favourite shows gone. :(

You can imagine how ecstatic I was in 2005 when Doctor Who returned in 2005 & Dallas in 2012. However whereas Doctor Who had fans producing it now, Dallas was being produced by someone who had little knowledge of it, & we all know what happened to it. It was a very expensive flop. Dallas in name only as it bore little resemblance to the original. I'm not surprised it lasted only three seasons. :(

• Like Like x 3
  5. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I was watching on a portable black and white tv in the kitchen of my undergraduate lodgings. My landlady breezed past in her dressing gown and cast a disparaging glance at the screen with the words: "I thought that thing was cancelled years ago." I bristled but the indifference was understandable given the way the show had been on a mission for at least 4 years to alienate as many viewers as possible.

The end should have been sooner - and much, much better.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I was probably in my room, playing with my toys, unaware of the fact that one of my eventually favourite TV shows was just coming to an end (I think sesame street was my favourite show back then :tv1:).

• Like Like x 3
  7. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +425
    The finale aired on my 22nd birthday, so although I was disappointed with the ending, I enjoyed having the history of my favorite show forever linked to my birthday. I camped out in front of the t.v. and ate birthday cake. I held out hope that maybe they had been able to pull off another epic surprise that you didn't see coming ending and Victoria would be back as Pam one last time, but nope, we got the stupid did J.R. shoot the mirror or himself ending instead. They really should have met Victoria's conditions for appearing in the finale. They owed that much to the fans.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    I remember watching it and thinking this is not the Dallas it should have been, awful actors/characters added in the last few seasons.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,369
    I watched it "live". On a Sunday afternoon, which felt very indulgent and a bit wrong considering the greatness of Dallas's primetime heyday.

At that point I think I'd pretty much stopped watching, but I wanted to say goodbye. Even though it was daytime filler at the end, I was pleased that the finale made the cover of TV magazines, and I remember one of them (the Radio Times, maybe) had an article with that picture of the headstone with "Dallas: 1978-1991" inscribed on it.

The biggest selling point for me was Gary and Val's appearance. At that point we were about three years behind with Knots episodes and I wondered if there would be clues about stuff still to come on the spin-off.

I did record the show, and watched it a few more times over the years, but even as a teenager watching for the first time I knew it was hollow and empty compared to the life and energy that I associate with Dallas cliffhangers.

10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    While I don't exactly remember the date Dallas last aired on Australian television I do recall where I was. It was at my wonderful grandmothers home. In 1991 here in Oz we had regional TV Stations and Metropolitan Stations. We had to rely on regional stations to purchase the rights to screen Dallas. Thankfully because it was such a massive hit show my local channel picked it up however towards the end of its life they dropped it despite my wonderfully worded typed protest letters. Gee, I wish I had kept a copy of them now. My grandmother had an aerial which could pick up the metro stations so once a week I would visit her. All the relo's thought "Nanny" and I were crackers. If my memory serves correct I believe the episode would start around 9 or 9:30 p.m., so it would finish around 10 or 10:30. I had to be up the next morning at 4 to get ready for work but that's how devoted I was to watch the final season. My poor Nan would often fall asleep. The following week I would give Nan a recap of the previous weeks episode though looking back I should have given her a nightcap...lol. When the final episode screened my Nan said, "What just happened?" I replied, "I think J.R., just shot himself." Her response was, "Between the legs I hope." Priceless.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I was watching it with my mom just to see how they ended it. I never truly watched all episodes of the seasons after Pam left and never watched any episode of the last and that was why I watched the last two episodes out of curiosity to know how it finally played out and I was very disappointed in what the show I grew to love had become.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    You had it easy. In metro Melbourne, after a lengthy delay, the final two seasons were screened around midnight four or five nights a week - just to burn off the rights, I assume.

I'm glad I made the effort but I was pretty tired by the time the finale arrived - screened over two nights. I too recorded those two episodes and have rewatched a couple of times - the Gary and Val segment being the highlight (of course).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    Good question Sarah. :)
    According to my diary Dallas ended on 18th December,1993 here in Sweden. I was 13 years old and had spent the day painting and going to the annual family day at my uncle's job. Then I watched a show about the British Royal family and Edward VII abdication before Dallas came on. It was being broadcast at 10 p.m. I had heard a spoiler from a friend that Dallas would end with that JR would shot himself. I hoped it wasn't true and didn't particularly like the last episode much, as I hated the idea of a Dallas without JR and what it had done to Bobby etc.

Right after the final episode of Dallas had ended SVT broadcasted a special called "After Dallas" where a panel were discussing how Dallas had changed the Swedish TV landscape. They showed old clips from the show and for me it was the first time I had seen some of them. They mentioned how Dallas had changed Swedish TV forever and spawned domestic soap operas like Varuhuset and Rederiet. They also showed an old clip of some ladies who were objecting to having that american trash tv being broadcasted in Sweden back in 1981 when it first started it's run here! :giggle:

We taped this special and I watched it on the next day as it was being broadcast so late. The only thing I mention about it in my diary is that TV4 had boughts the rights to Dallas and that I would watch it if it was being rerun from the start.

That did in deed happen and on March 8th, 1994 the swedish people could return to Southfork as "Digger's daughter" was being broadcast on that day. Dallas was then showed on TV4 until early in 1996 in reruns. I loved that as it gave me an opportunity to watch the show from the beginning again. So the end of Dallas here in Sweden wasn't really the end for me as I had missed the best years! :)

On a sidenote, Dallas dismiss in the USA made the news here in Sweden. Here's an old clipping from my local morning paper from May 6th, 1991 which states that the final episode of Dallas was being broadcast on American TV last night.
    The headline reads: "Yesterday Dallas bid farewell forever"

IMG_20161008_0001.jpg

The final line says that "Leonard Katzman says that the last episode can be seen by anyone so it doesn't matter if you haven't watched Dallas in the last five years." :tv1:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    Leonard wasn't far off the mark there. Most people had switched off during those last five years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +713
    It truly was a shadow of it's former self back in 1991 & I only watched out of loyalty to a show I loved growing up.

I've only really watched the DVD of season 14 once. It's painful viewing, no Barbara Bel Geddes, only a bit of Howard Keel & you can really tell via the storylines that the show was being winded down.

Conundrum whilst being an interesting take on ending the show really isn't very satisfying to watch. It's just a retread of the dream season, it didn't really happen.

What they should've done was let Dallas end on a high by getting all the core cast members back. Barbara Bel Geddes, Howard Keel, Steve Kanaly, Susan Howard, Linda Gray & Charlene Tilton.

And they should've moved heaven & earth to come to an agreement with Victoria Principal to guest star in the final season for a few episodes. Not just the finale but the actual season where Pam contacts Cliff that she's coming home, & the final episode of the series would be Pam reunited with Bobby. JR reunited with Sue Ellen too.

However the final scenes of my last episode would see the returning Steve Forrest, remembering how he used to look before the chopper crash, flashbacks of the late Jim Davis; as he finally reveals that he's dying & wants to come home. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  16. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Dallas excelled because it had a fabulously simple but venerable plot: the enmity between two families and between two brothers. At a formal level, it was pretty straightforward and was very conventional in terms of its narrative structure.

By the time it ended, however, we were in the land of Bocho: LA Law and Dougie Howzer, for example, ushered in a new way of telling stories on mainstream television that was resolutely postmodern in style and in tone. It's also worth noting that Dallas's last full season coincided with the first of the two seasons of Twin Peaks. The weirdly 'self-referential' gamble in the finale of the show was prescient but completely wrong for a show like Dallas.

How doubly ironic, then, to consider that at the very moment when epic story telling was making a comeback, the TNT version failed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Agreed. I never really understood switching off just because Pam left - never understood that. Dallas was an ensemble show, it wasn't just about one person. I didn't even switch off when Sue Ellen left - although for me it was never ever the same without her. Like you BF, I hung in there out of loyalty but at the end the only people I cared for where JR, Bobby and Cliff.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    I agree with you Sarah. Dallas was an ensemble show.
    But you know when the show ended I didn't want it to end. I wanted more of James, Michelle, Cally etc.

Couldn't agree with you more about that one. That's how the show should have ended. A great show like Dallas would have deserved a great ending instead of the crap we were given.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,455
    That's a valid point. Friends and relatives of mine speak often about the lack of adult contemporary drama available on commercial television. There is a market the network executives have forgotten, a market where viewers are sitting in their McMansions paying off the mortgage just wishing to be entertained. Dallas has this built-in audience. It had 14 years of history, to create an enthralling story involving the Ewing family, Southfork and Ewing Oil, filmed in glorious High Definition.

How on earth could you get this so wrong? Well, it's been spoken of ad nauseam, it's why I love visiting this site, to read others thoughts.

20. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I remember there was a great media blitz on "Who shot J.R?" and BBC2 in the UK cashed in on the show and repeated it from the very beginning around 6pm or something - and that's where my Dallas watching started and I kept with it right to the end.

I even remember being on holiday in Florida and sneaking up to my room to watch an episode because it was screened months before it was in the UK.

So I was (am) a BIG Dallas fan.

I remember watching the finale in the afternoon and my mum was watching it too - she'd given up on it years earlier - and she wasn't impressed with it at all and neither was I.

It really did limp to it's conclusion and it was very sad to see.

After the dream season it all felt very silly, and still does. Dallas should have finished on a high, with as many of the original cast back in a gut wrenching finale.

Dallas changed TV, it highlighted & dealt with serious issues and concerns yet wrapped it all up in fantastic storytelling with such wonderfully believable characters it was such a shame to see it all end with Conundrum.

• Like Like x 1