Where were you when Dallas ended?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Dew Melons, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    I think that's what most tend to forget. Dallas WAS event television even before the term was created.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Via The Elf

Via The Elf Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    How true this is.

Dallas was a truly unique television drama which kept the audience on the edge of their seats.

The soaps & drama's of today don't come close to the appeal which Dallas had back in the 80's.

In fact for me no other show will ever some close to the appeal & love I have for Dallas as a drama series. Through it's storylines, plot revelations & the great actors who starred in it, Dallas is truly unique. Why else has the show been so popular even now, decades after it last ran on television. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    Well, there is one which comes to mind, Game of Thrones. I know people that are obsessed with the show. I like it but I'm not as fanatical. I haven't even watched the last two seasons. But I do appreciate that obsession and frustration waiting for the next series to come around as it reminds me so much of what Dallas was.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    Get what you're saying but I don't get GOT despite having auditioned for it and have a lot of friends who work on it. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. But then nothing appeals to me the way Dallas does :)

5. Dr. Ellby's hair

Dr. Ellby's hair Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +41
    In military service.
    First time i was able to go in tv room was when the last episode of Dallas aired in Finland.
    All i remember was that just before episode started and during first minutes of episode discussion was only about the looks of Pam Ewing/VP even if Victoria Principal has left Dallas years earlier.

6. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I probably was crying out loudly for not seeing VP... :sad:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  7. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Why no one said "In front of the television!" I'll never know, because that's where I was!!

Sitting tearfully as the final shot of the zoom in on Patrick Duffy ended the show after thirteen years. :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Dallas was the first TV show I can remember that the press really took hold of - they were always running stories about the cast, the plots etc - I even remember really bad photos appearing in the British Press after the U.S screened Swan Song of Bobby being thrown over the car etc - it sold copies and editors knew it.

When the news came that Dallas had been cancelled it made the press, but like the final season, no one really cared.

9. Dew Melons

Dew Melons Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,971
    I did. :sad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Glamorous Ellie

Glamorous Ellie Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Me too

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
  11. zephiey

zephiey Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sitting in front of the TV watching the end of an era. I remember husband turning to me and saying, "What a p*ss poor ending!" He only watched it off and on but his favorite character was JR with Pam being a close second. He hated Bobby, never could figure out why Patrick Duffy's character always rubbed him the wrong way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    I watched it ‘live’, first time I’d watched an episide in two years. Quite low key by that time in NZ in ‘91. 1987 was the last time Dallas was on a magazine cover in NZ. Linda’s last episode was the last episode I’d tuned in to (as with the rest of the country) having only seen one or two since Pam left (as with most of the country). I thought where is everyone? What has happened to this show? Disappointed overall and could quite see why it was ending. Sorry Sarah and Karin :-( this show had had its day. Very sad. It was so good for so long. But yes, as a lot of you have said, it was sad that the Dallas era had ended. It carried a lot of our teenage years with us. It was a trend starting tv show, an iconic show and no one, not even Dallas itself, has been able to beat Dallas

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    A lot of us still care about Dallas. There is something special about this show. I think with hindsight the show was the perfect drama series for the 80's. It has a very 80's feel to it in it's mid to late seasons.

Then there are the stars, the show is very well cast. Even the guest stars are well cast too, who could imagine anybody else playing Dusty Farlow other than Jared Martin.

The storylines were always great even though some of them got recycled like Sue Ellen & JR separating & getting back together. The Ewing Oil pass the parcel game seemed to happen every other year where JR either lost it to Bobby or something else happened to it!

What's not to love with this show? Yes, I know it lost it's way towards the end but that was because of the departures of both Susan Howard & Victoria Principal, & later on Linda Gray & Barbara Bel Geddes.

With hindsight I don't think they should've brought in a lot of young looking actors to flesh out the cast. They should've stuck with who they had, it would've been more interesting if JR had married Mandy Winger rather than Cally! They should'nt have fired Susan & Linda & they should've come to some arrangement with both Victoria & Barbara to stay in the show.

Oh well, I love the show & it will always be with me. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I was in Tampa, Florida and graduating from The University Of South Florida. I had so much going on that I didn't think much about Dallas ending. I realized it was no longer the quality of show it had once been. Of course I didn't realize at the time that there would never be another show as good as Dallas again or even anything close to what Dallas once was.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Robin

Robin Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was a junior in high school and watched with my Mom, just one week before my prom. Dag, I’m old

• Like Like x 1