1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dallas Character Did You Find Most Likable?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Jan 19, 2020.

?

Which Dallas Character Did You Find Most Likable?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2020.
  1. Jock

25.0%
  2. Miss Ellie

18.8%
  3. JR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bobby

6.3%
  5. Pam

31.3%
  6. Sue Ellen

12.5%
  7. Ray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Donna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Cliff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Clayton

6.3%
  11. April

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Jenna Wade - Priscilla Presley version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Jack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Jamie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Michelle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    Which Dallas character who was part of the main cast did you like the most? Not the one you thought was the most entertaining, or the most exciting, but the one that you genuinely liked the most - who you would most want to know with if that character was a person who existed in real life.

Nw, JR is such an incredibly popular character and contributed so much to making Dallas the most viewed show on TV that you might be tempted to choose him. If he is the character you find most likable and he's your choice, fine, nobody will judge you for it - they shouldn't anyway - but remember this isn't a popularity contest based in how entertaining the character was. Very unlikable people can still be highly entertaining - sometimes they're among the most entertaining characters.

This thread is designed to find out which character had the most traits you personally associate the likability. This is the character, who if they were real, you'd most enjoy knowing.

The poll is designed to determine which Dallas character from the main cast is considered the most likable character on Dallas among the members of this forum.

Some qualities you might look for in making your choice could be:

1. Someone who does things you find admirable
    2. Someone who has good ethics - a sense of right and wrong you agree with
    3. Someone who has a personality you'd enjoy being around
    4. Someone you think you could trust
    5. Someone you can relate to especially well

The poll allows for only your top choice. If you have two that it's hard to decide between and you want to explain that in a comment, by all means do so. If you have one character who you especially hope wins the poll, make a case for why that character is so likable. I hope you'll all have a good time with this!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,692
    Jock for me.

From the considerations you list above, I think he ticks the boxes well.

Swami

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,879
    upload_2020-1-19_12-49-39.jpeg

And also:

upload_2020-1-19_12-50-19.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    Good choice! I found his work ethic and drive so admirable - to build a company the size of Ewing Oil from the ground up - being a self-made man, those are things I find so admirable. I liked that he had a goal, went after it, worked incredibly hard, and achieved it. it's inspiring! We could use more inspiring characters on modern TV shows. Sometimes it's nice to see something that just gives you a little extra kick - something that gives you just a little extra drive to do something productive.

I liked Jock's ethics. Things like telling the gas station owner that he would never try to railroad him and says to him: "We pick on people our own size and you know it." He went on to say: "If any son of mine ever tried something like that (picking in small businessmen) he;d be out the door before he knew what hit him." Jock also was able to recognize when he'd made a mistake and took the blame for it. After the Dove Hunt incident he, for one thing, was going to make sure he never did something like that to somebody again. He's said that the business had become too impersonal. He decided to make sure Amanda was well taken care and had the money to be able to stay at the place where she was for the rest of her life and not ever have to worry about having to go somewhere else because she couldn't afford it.

I know he was a ruthless businessman in ways, but looking at the oil industry from the perspective they showed us, being somewhat ruthless was simply a matter of survival in that business. The oil business looked a lot like a shark tank: If you're not the biggest, baddest great white, you're gonna get eaten up! It wouldn't have been believable to portray a man in the oil industry as being the only nice guy in the whole business who always plays by the rules. It would be so naive. It's like anything else. If you were gonna fight someone and you both agreed you're just gonna box - no kicks, elbow or knees, and then everytime he gets you in a clinch he knees you in the gut, are you going to stick to the rules you agreed upon? He's not, so why would you? You either adapt to the situation or he's liable to kick your ass! I think Jock was just adapting to the situation. He either adapts to the environment or loses everything he's built.

Jock was trustworthy. He didn't lie and he kept to his word. People considered Jock's word and his handshake better than a contract. Bobby once remarked of a deal Jock made with a handshake: "That makes it sacred."

He's a real man and despite his wealth, still a regular guy - he'll still go to a blue-collar bar, have some beers, and if somebody wants to fight, he won't back way. He's 70 years old but still, 70 years old or not, if you were in a bar and he said to you "We're going outside", you'd know you'd be in for one hell of a fight!

Looking at how JR and Bobby practically idolized him, that shows a lot about how good of a father he was. If your kids admire you that much and want to emulate you, you've done a good job with them as a father.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +428
    This is a tough question. Out of the above mentioned, Clayton was probably the most likable. He wasn’t mean, but he had a temper. As much as JR despised him, he even tried to help him in the end by giving him those West Star shares.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,202
    Someone who has good ethics - a sense of right and wrong you agree with
    Someone you think you could trust
    Jock was trustworthy.

That rules JR and Jock out for me, I dont think Jock was ethical at all, Tom Owens, Jonus Culver committed to sanitorium to steal his land, and he kills himself, lying to Miss Ellie about his 1st marriage to Amanda and all the people he used the 3 Bs on, JR had a fine teacher.

For me Pam and Miss Ellie were the 2 people at SF that I would want to be around or feel i could relate to and found to be the most likeable despite their faults.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,818
    You forgot about Lucy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,879
    I think the most likable of all women was... (drums) Pam. Also Miss Ellie, Donna and Angelica Nero (just kidding).

And, I´m sure that I would have had a lot of fun with Jack Ewing (preferably the one from the Dream Season).

• Like Like x 1
  9. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,243
    Everyone forgets about Lucy. That's almost her defining attribute.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,692
    I sincerely hope you are kidding about Angelica Nero otherwise I will be extremely concerned!

Swami

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,241
    I could only trust JR or Cliff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    Sorry, it wasn't intentional.

13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,472
    Aunt Maggie, poor thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Dr Danvers. He could always be relied upon to sedate any female who came within half a mile of his orbit. That guy put more women to sleep than Bill Cosby.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +467
    I’m also disappointed there’s no possibility of voting for Fenton Washburn. The man was utterly lacking in vanity. He was so busy scrupulously policing Braddock that he cared not a whit for dental visits or that he was developing a smile more commonly seen on the chops of Emperor Palpatine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I voted Pam (all the way up until her final season where she became unlikable imo) but I was tempted to vote April. I'm rewatching the show now (on season 11) and I have a surprising new appreciation for April. Sad, lonely April needs a friend :p

As for Pam, she just seemed the most grounded and least extreme in personality that I could see myself being friends with. I also liked that she's loyal to her family, both Barnes and Ewing and although we rarely saw her with friends, she didn't forget Jackie when she moved up in the world from The Store to Barnes Wentworth.

Everyone else I think I might just want to stick to watching on TV, in real life their extremes might grate me. I'd not say no to being the Jamie character when Sue Ellen took her shopping, or giving JR a little hug when he was all pouty and sad though :giggle: I'd also take a ranch tour if Bobby was leading the way. I'd also sample Miss Ellie's chilli but would be out the door quickly the minute her overly emotional, biased side came out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    I almost voted for April too! I thought she had an amazing personality (after she became good - not when she first appeared). April had a very warm personality that showed her enthusiasm for life and if I'd made my decision on personality alone, April would have easily been my choice. In fact, now I'm tempted to change my vote to April! I'll consider it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,517
    Yikes, I don't find Pam likeable all the time. She could be darn right annoying, me me me! ME!

Miss Ellie is very likeable and wee Christopher.

And of course Teresa!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,517
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,364
    I found Pam very likable up until season 6, but the way she treated Bobby, doing everything but outright stating he caused her mother's death was awful. She never even blamed the pilot who caused the crash. How can you not blame him???

Besides, if she's going to go on that circumstantial bulls**t like "the battle caused her death" then why not blame Cliff? If he had been reliable and hadn't been off somewhere crying in his beer as usual, Rebecca wouldn't have been on the plane. Yet, Pam doesn't see anything wrong with Cliff, she does everything but hold Cliff's hand and it while turning her back on Bobby after all he'd done for her when she'd been in times of need. As you said, with Pam it's "ME ME ME!"

Bobby been through all Pam's depressions and her obsession over having a baby, Bobby had literally pulled her back from the edge of a rooftop, but then as soon as Bobby needs Pam's support, she's right out the door. I don't know how anyone can like Pam too much after doing that. She deserted him. Marriage is in good times and in bad times for better or worse. Pam just didn't give a damn. I find that inexcusable.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1