1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dallas Character Did You Find Most Likable?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Jan 19, 2020.

?

Which Dallas Character Did You Find Most Likable?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2020.
  1. Jock

25.0%
  2. Miss Ellie

18.8%
  3. JR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bobby

6.3%
  5. Pam

31.3%
  6. Sue Ellen

12.5%
  7. Ray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Donna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Cliff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Clayton

6.3%
  11. April

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Jenna Wade - Priscilla Presley version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Jack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Jamie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Michelle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It's interesting that you find Jock so unethical, yet your most likable character is the woman who married him and stayed married to him for something like 43 tears, until he died. If you consider Miss Ellie such a good woman, what better endorsement of Jock's character could there possibly be?

Tom Owens, Jonas Culver - what did we know about them? We never even saw Jonas, but for the record, Jock did not have him committed -how could could he have? Jock wasn't kin to Jonas Culver! Sam Culver had Jonas committed.

We saw Tom Owens in one episode where he tried to kill Bobby and Ray - wow what a great guy - and you take his side?

Not saying Jock was perfect, nobody is, but when if you weight the good against the bad, the good so far outweighs the bad it's not even close. Jock was a very impressive, admirable, likable man.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    3 words:

Willie Joe Garr

[​IMG]

(well, maybe not.. I’ll go with Bobby)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    As long as you didn't vote for Granny Beaumont!

Swami

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle' EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +14,265
    Clayton maybe followed by Bobby.

BTW, thanks for including Michelle on this list. I don't think Michelle was intended to be particularly likeable when she first arrived. Neither was April, but she become more so in her later seasons. One wonders if we had a few more seasons if Michelle would have been more like April or if she would have been more like JR. :think:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Jock was far from a good man, but considering where he came from, it was fight or die, like Digger, and he fought. I admire that will, though his hands got dirty, even bloody.

I’m not sure anyone in the cast would come off as sainted. Miss Ellie kept the oil locked up on Southfork to honor her father instead of using it to do some good - protect the land and donate it to cause that could use it, if she didn’t want it, or help her son reach his dreams in business. A good mother sacrifices for her children. Pam took what Katherine’s father worked his whole life to build, living off a dead man’s work who owed her nothing to her and walking away from Bobby after she pushed him into business, stirring up the whole family. A good person doesn’t take what belongs to others. A good wife supports her husband with his family; she doesn’t encourage a rivalry. I didn’t like their weakness at all, their reliance on someone to take care of them, to do the dirty work for them to live their wealthy lives. I found them disingenuous people. At the end both just walked away from the messes they helped create and left people worst off.

Your points are valid regarding Jock, like he never told Miss Ellie about Amanda, but he took care of her despite her mental condition. That to me is a man who tries and leave the world a better place for those he leaves behind, though his hands got dirty and often he failed, the main kept fighting until his dying day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    The results of the poll are in! It was a close race, but the winner of the poll for Most Likable Dallas Character is:

Pamela Ewing!

Jock Ewing was a close runner-up, falling only one vote behind Pam.

Miss Ellie came in third place with just one vote less than Jock.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I was in love with Michelle Stevens.....still am.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  8. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +741
    The only two characters that meet this "criteria" for me is Clayton and Donna.

If you were to ask me the characters I found most loveable, you'd find Sue Ellen at the top of the list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,912
    I found Donna the most consistently likable, although Miss Ellie (despite her infuriating blindness about the nastiness of Jock and J.R.) was the warmest character, thanks to its portrayer. She really did have this mother earth quality.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    Afton, she had a strange sort of ESP thing about her... She knew bad shit from good shit.
    I also loved Donna and Pam most of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,981
    "Likeable" is tricky.

My first mental images of DALLAS were of flipping passed it on Friday night, seeing Tony Nelson in a cowboy hat in his Mercedes at night, looking into his rearview mirror and cackling, all set to a jaunty John Parker score, and my saying: 'No --- I am not doing this!' and flipping away.

Joke's on me.

The first character who pulled me in to the show (as I'd seen almost all the actors elsewhere) was Miss Ellie, as she reminded me a lot of my own maternal grandmother, and there was just something indeed very likeable about Barbara Bel Geddes.

Miss Ellie, on the other hand, was another story. I always think of the Shirley Jackson line in The Haunting of Hill House (1959) where she describes big over-stuffed chairs as being like mothers -- they look so warm and inviting until you go to sit down on one, and then they promptly push you out onto the floor.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +195
    My favorite characters were Ray and April, as I have posted many times over the years. Ray reminded me a lot of myself, and I could see us being good buds. I could also empathize with April of all the women. I think she came from a rough background, and it was hinted life with her father was not the greatest. I think she was misunderstood in the beginning. She wanted to break free of the hard life she had prior to Jack, and perhaps her ways of going about it were a little misguided, but she saw the error of her ways and became a very good person. I actually would like to see a new show featuring Steve Kanaly and Sheree J. Wilson in the main cast as new characters. gettyimages-114660435-1024x1024.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bill Dilks

Bill Dilks Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Was going to vote, but it's closed. I'd have voted Jock.

14. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Threads:
    Author
    Ratings:
    +2,839
    There were at least 10 or 11 characters on the show that I really liked, but I can't imagine wanting to spend time with any of them. A bunch of rich people complaining about their problems day in and day out? It makes for great TV, but complexity can preclude likability.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Sue Ellen, lovable? Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,063
    Whoa, wait just a minute. Sue Ellen is VERY lovable. If you can't see that, you ain't lookin' too hard!!!!

17. Billy Wall

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    The Sue Ellen who had a one night affair with Ray and the very next day when Ray asked her about it, her response was “I don’t know what you’re talking about Mr Krebbs.” Lol

Or the Sue Ellen who had an affair with a kid that could have been her son.

JR was a piece of ****, but she did shoot him at point blank range.

Bobby and Pam was nothing but nice to her, and I remember her throwing both of them under the bus numerous times.

Sue Ellen got a lot better as the series went on, but I can’t call her a lovable character.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,063
    Ok, but JR deserved that shooting and more.

Bobby threw Sue Ellen under the bus when he befriended Holly Harwood.

Sue Ellen was nothing but nice to Peter.

Pam didn't exactly show Ray a lot of acknowledgement about their past affair.

Pam was a moan who had to have everything her own way for the most part (I do agree she was nice to Sue Ellen for the most part). As the series aged, Sue Ellen did mature and became a very lovable lady with a lot of love to give. Sue Ellen had a conscience. Don't single her out for sleeping with Ray when most of the women (and JR!) did a HELL of a lot worse. You gotta cut her some slack for how she was at the beginning with what she had to put up with.

Pam ran out on her husband and child....that's not lovable. Pam dumped Bobby then was jealous he was with Jenna. Again, not lovable. (And the moaning, dear God, the moaning!!!)

I am not ashamed to say I love Sue Ellen the most. :D Her vulnerability, love for her son and for JR especially - I just adore her. She is no saint, but she's fabulously flawed and I love her with all of her flaws. You're only seeing one tiny part of her and not really seeing who she is. Explore @Billy Wall, go deep. :D

Allow yourself to love @Billy Wall. Go on. :D

You keep throwin' em out and I'll keep batting them back! ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  19. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Excellent examples! There is no excuse for breaking and entering someone's home, then refusing to leave when you're asked to leave, and then assaulting the person who lives there. Then to have the gall to shoot the person for simply defending himself against assault! It was ridiculous that Sue Ellen wasn't prosecuted for this. It reveals a lot about the ugly nature of Sue Ellen's character that she would try to kill her son's father. John Ross loved his dad. Killing his father would've caused John Ross immeasurable harm, but all Sue Ellen cared about was that her gigolo was dead.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Billy Wall

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    JR was a very bad man and the way he treated Sue Ellen was borderline criminal, but he didn’t “deserve” to get shot. It wasn’t like JR was attacking her. Lol

She was VERY nice to Peter. If you know what I mean. Lol

Bobby defended her more times than I can remember against JR. Same with Pam.

The difference with her sleeping with Ray and Pam is that she was a married woman and she acted like she barely knew who he was the next day. By the time the first episode aired, Pam was totally over Ray.

I agree with you about Pam. She was definitely the weak link in her marriage to Bobby.

And I’m not in any way saying Sue Ellen is the only character with faults. But IMO, she’s far from lovable.

• Agree Agree x 1