1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dallas Character Endured The Most Hardship?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,354
    Which one of the original main cast of Dallas characters do you think endured the most hardship during the course of the series? They all went through a lot, but I think Ray might have gone through the most hardship of any of the main cast because he was just so consistently hit with loss after loss.

When Amos Krebbs visited, we saw why Ray felt the way he did about Amos

He found out Jock was his father. That was great for Ray, and Jock handed it so well. Then Jock dies the next year.

Then two years later Ray goes through the ordeal with Mickey Trotter trying to help Sue Ellen and getting paralyzed as a result. Then he goes into a coma. Mickey comes out of the coma but then goes back into one. The doctors say he will remain in a coma. Mickey's mother convinces Ray to pull the plug. Loses his cousin and almost goes to prison.

Bobby dies at the end of season 8. Bobby was the only brother Ray was close with, and was Ray's best friend.

Donna gets pregnant with a baby that has Downs Syndrome. Then Donna miscarries.

Then Bobby returns because season 9 was a dream, but Ray then loses his wife!

Donna not only leaves Ray, but she takes their daughter over a thousand miles away, knowing that means Ray can hardly ever see his daughter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Sue Ellen.

3. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    Let's compare that to Bobby: 1. His first wife falls from the hayloft and has a miscarriage. She can no longer have children.
    2. Pam has a breakdown and ends up in a mental institution.
    3. He becomes disgusted by Jock and JR's business practices, decides to leave SF, but remains because his brother is shot.
    4. His daddy dies.
    5.His wife believes baby Christopher is a child Bobby brought home for her, yet it's really JR's(or so he believes at the time).
    6.The stress of the fight for Ewing Oil
    7. Returns home one night to find his home on fire and has to rush in and rescue everyone.
    7. His beloved wife leaves him, taking his son.
    8.He is shot by his sister-in-law.
    9.His new fiance is framed for murder and goes through a long trial.
    10. He finds out his ex-fiance is pregnant on his wedding day to his ex-wife.
    11.His mother is kidnapped by her sister in law.
    12. Because of JR, his family is threatened by a terrorist.
    13.His wife is horrifically burned in a car accident, vanishes without a trace.
    14. Loses Ewing Oil, his daddy's company because of JR's shenanigans.
    15. Sees his second wife gunned down right before his eyes.
    16. Has to be the "stable one" in his dysfunctional family which means Sue Ellen turns to him for support repeatedly, and he can't grieve his daddy's death because he has to pull JR out of his depression. He also is the family hero which means he always does things such as rescue Lucy from something or dive into the river to look for Jock's body.
    17. Constantly having to look over his shoulder because JR is either trying to undermine him at work or destroy his marriage.
    18. His ex-fiance leaves for Europe with his son, who he apparently never saw again.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,654
    Oddly enough I reckon JR was subjected to considerable hardship when Vanessa "Granny" Beaumont decided to put in an appearance, so between putting up with her and the dire James, JR didn't have his sorrows to seek.

Swami

5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    And yet it's okay for Ray to marry his half-brothers former partner and take off to Europe with her and Bobby's son.

6. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,354
    Good job, @Jimmy Todd! That's an impressive list. I think #13 and #15 are particularly awful. Seeing his wife Pam in that much pain, and injured that badly was devastating. Then Pam vanishes. Then he sees his second wife April shot to death before his eyes. I had been thinking Ray's place in the whole Mickey Trotter storyline - that he felt responsible for Mickey's life being cut short, seeing him paralyzed, then in a second coma and then having to be the one to pull the plug was the hardest thing anyone on the show went through, and that overall, Ray might have gone through the most, but those and some of the other things you listed makes me think Bobby is the one who went through the most hardship. Bobby takes adversity so well, that it made me forget just how much he went through!

It's interesting, Bobby blows up over relatively small things, but when real tragedy strikes, or he's confronted with a situation that calls for him to act heroically, he shows tremendous poise.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Teresa. All those uneaten breakfasts......Sheesh.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Jimmy Todd

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    Bobby is as many people in life seem to be. The ones with the most problems carry on stoically, the ones with relatively few are drama queens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    Walt Driscoll.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,354
    Are you saying he's a combination of the two - that he responds stoically in the face of real adversity, but acts like a drama queen over relatively small problems?

11. Jimmy Todd

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,441
    I hadn't thought of that actually. I was thinking of Bobby and other characters such as SE. However, maybe with Bobby it's a sense of family responsibility that kicks in for him. In major crises he takes on the responsibility of holding everything together and being strong for the family.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Bobby had a petulant streak that was often irritating. By the time of the TNT incarnation it was weathered, leavened by an extra layer of pomposity - but it was still there.

13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +23,168

DALLAS' greatest love story that could have been, ruined by that conniving Shepard woman.

It's so hard!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Addict EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    I really enjoy it when we can disagree because it makes for a fun conversation.

While I do agree that Ray was hit with a lot of hardships, I believe he was one of the happier people overall. Especially when he was a ranch foreman and before he found out he was Jock's son. Look at the relationship they had:
    [​IMG]

And in Conundrum, the alternate ending where it was never discovered that Ray was a Ewing, he was a hired hand who never made much money. But when his sons (one was named Jock) gave him a pair of gloves and a pocketknife for his birthday, he said, "I think I'm the luckiest man alive."

15. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    BHWHAHAHAHA! Didn't see @Snarky's Ghost sneaking in with that one, but it's right on the money!

This is such a true statement. And now I'm thinking about all the people in real life where this is especially true.

We see that sometimes when it comes to Bobby and Pam.

She is even better during a re-watch. Because you know how deliciously evil she will turn out to be.

16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    I suspect Julie Grey had a rough time of it.

17. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    Well said Jimmy. I have to work with them everyday. If only I could print this out in banner size and place it on the wall in our tearoom. But then the poor insulted dears would go screaming to HR (Human Resources).

18. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,833
    If there is one character I believe endured the most hardship I'd say John Ross. Only days old and he is kidnapped. When he is finally returned to the bosom of Southfork he is rejected by his mother. As the tug-of-war began between his parents John Ross was often caught in the middle. Growing up his father tried to mold him into something he struggled against. Sue Ellen desperately tried to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Years later (TNT Dallas) the struggle continues with John Ross. Is he bad, good or indifferent? The legacy of JR Ewing can weigh heavily on an only son.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    And this is just the thing-- We think of the main characters, but often forget the minor characters like Walt Driscoll and Julie Grey. They do have some great plots that happen around them.

20. Lastkidpicked

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    This was one of my favorite parts of TNT Dallas: The complicated relationship between J.R. and an adult John Ross.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1