1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dallas Character Endured The Most Hardship?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator EXP: 11 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +10,477

What about Poor Val?
    • Married at age 15
    • Driven off the ranch shortly after her husband ran off
    • Had Lucy snatched from her arms by JR's goons and her life was threatened if she ever tried to see her again
    • Found Lucy again, but too late to salvage a relationship with her
    • Remarried the same man only for him to drink and cheat and black her eye. Then cheat again. Then cheat some more with a neighbour while Val babysat her kids
    • Dealt with a tumour and faced the prospect of a colostomy
    • Wrote a book that ended her marriage for good. And then found JR owned the publishing house
    • Had a whole Postcards From The Edge relationship with her long-lost mother
    • Thought she'd killed someone then covered for Gary when she thought he'd killed that same someone
    • Had her mother committed on the day her first husband married his mistress
    • Married her second husband only to get pregnant by her first
    • Her twins were sold on the black market and Val told they'd died
    • Entered a fugue state and started believing she was a character from her own book
    • Met her long-lost half brother who turned out to be an abusive, sociopathic, God botherer
    • Her second husband cheated on her with her friend and then tried to kill her other friend's husband before disappearing to South America
    • First hubby's new girlfriend stalked Val and forced her to take an overdose at gunpoint, leading everyone to think Val was insane
    • Her third husband was a rapist and murderer
    • Got attacked by a brain virus
    • Was kidnapped and held hostage and believed killed

I'm sure there are many more examples of Val's hardships, but this gives a flavour of things, I think.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,210
    "I always used to think I had such a dull life" - Val Ewing, 1982

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    A great shame Larry was unwell by the time TNT Dallas rolled around. I really wished to see the complicated relationship between father and son, mother and son...and well anything involving this trio.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,455
    for a spoiled rich girl, Lucy sure had some horrible things happen to her:

abandoned/stolen as a baby, ignored as a child, 'romanced' by a silvery-haired cowboy as a teen (even if she was the one doing the seducing), made to go to school on more than one occasion, had a promising relationship with her aunt's cousin tragically taken away when he disappeared into thin air never to be mentioned again, denied the chance to have The Coffins play at her birthday party, semi-kidnapped by a maniacal idiot van-driving armed robber, forbidden to follow her dream of being a singer even after winning a talent competition in music-mad Austin at the gunpoint of the aforementioned idiot, not given a car even though her far less wealthy bespectacled redhead best friend had *two*, briefly found true love only to be dumped because her fiancee preferred men, developed a harrowing drug addiction shortly thereafter, embarked on a romance with her dashing young literature professor only to find out he was married and had a kid named Stevie, was ignored by the writers for swaths of episodes at a time, overcame tremendous odds to launch a successful modeling career despite being about 4'3" in heels only to be kidnapped and raped by a creepy photographer, had her one true love paralyzed by her drunken aunt then euthanized by her ex-flame/half-uncle, was spurned by a dopey cutoff-t-shirt-wearing barely pubescent camp counselor with a Mommy complex, had her beloved uncle die tragically then come back to life while she was in Atlanta somewhere, etc. etc.

...and worst of all, had to put up with the insufferable Mitch Cooper whining about money nonstop (even if he did gracefully excuse her horribly burned 'beef stroganoff')

although at least she had the brief privilege of resting her head on the luxurious pelt of ambitious young lawyer Alan Beam!

[​IMG]
    (wait, weren't a bunch of us agreeing that Dallas wasn't really a soap opera on a recent thread?!!)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    QUOTE OF THE WEEK AWARD

goes to....the above :clap:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    That was a damn good quote! @Taylor Bennett Jr. , you made me laugh!

Here it is again, as I second it for quote of the week:

I'm really enjoying seeing the variety of responses in this thread. We're seeing almost everyone come in with a completely different perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I do agree that Ray was one of the happier people overall in the seasons before he found out he was a Ewing. But I also think he was very happy in the time between he found out he was a Ewing and Jock leaving for South America. I think Ray reacted very positively to Jock telling him he was Ray's father. Ray had never really had a father, so this was especially important for him. To not only have a father, but one who he admired and respected so much was great for Ray. It was something he needed. Ray finally got what he had needed his whole life, and then just as he got it it, it was all taken away from him. That's why Jock's death was so devastating for Ray.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    Petulant is good word way to describe Bobby, at times. That petulant streak was never more evident than in the first half of season 4. He claims he doesn't want to work at Ewing Oil while JR is recuperating, but when Jock said it would be a big favor to him if Bobby will just do it until JR can go back to work. Bobby "reluctantly" agrees, as long as he only has to be there until JR can go back to work.

So it really shouldn't be important to him how Jock wants the company run, or how much control Bobby has over the final decisions, since it's such a temporary situation. For a man doing his father a favor, Bobby sure has some childish reactions anytime Jock wants to give Bobby some direction.

At best, Bobby gets that petulant look on his face and walks away while Jock is trying to talk to him. He becomes even more insulting when he demands to have complete control over the company in writing, because apparently Jock's word just isn't good enough for him.

At worst, Bobby emotionally blackmails his own father by saying if he can't run the company exactly the way he wants it, he'll run away from home. OK, actually, he will move out but the way Bobby acts, you'd think he's a child who wants to run away from home because he can't stand not having everything his way all the time.

Bobby knows how Miss Ellie will react if he leaves. Ellie has already told Jock to "keep Bobby from leaving no matter what" or she'll never forgive him. Bobby uses that to extort total control over Jock's company, as well as JR's job. He's taking advantage of his brother getting shot to steal his job from him. Some "favor."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +852
    I think it's fair to say Pam suffered the most;

- Raised by an aunt because her mother left and her father was an alcoholic
    - CLIFF BARNES WAS HER BROTHER
    - Married into a family who hated her family and despised her too
    - SANCTIMONIOUS BOBBY EWING WAS HER HUSBAND
    - Miscarried first child
    - Had to put up with J.R.'s endless attempts to ruin her marriage
    - First husband tried to ruin her new marriage
    - Loved baby John like her own son, until Sue Ellen recovered from post-partum depression and baby John didn't need her anymore
    - Believed she could not have children because of a genetic disease
    - Miscarried second child
    - Discovered her father wasn't her real father and had actually murdered her real father
    - Her father died
    - Believed her mother to be dead but found her and her mother didn't want her initially
    - KATHERINE WENTWORTH WAS HER HALF-SISTER
    - Suffered a breakdown
    - Her brother attempted suicide
    - Her mother died, after being in her life for less than a year (?)
    - Manipulated into divorce by her brother-in-law and sister
    - New boyfriend became ill and died
    - Had a long dream, during which she believed her sister murdered the love of her life
    - Woke up from said dream to learn that the love of her life and husband-to-be-again was father his childhood sweethearts unborn child
    - Offered to adopt unborn child and that conversation didn't go well
    - Car accident which resulted in horrific burn/injuries
    - Got a whole new face because the original actress refused to play her anymore
    - Left Dallas and abandoned her husband and son because she couldn't face returning due to terminal illness
    - Later died isolated from her family

There's so much more and I'm sure I missed some out but, in conclusion - IT'S PAM.:D

• Agree Agree x 1