Which other 80s US prime time soaps have you seen?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Willie Oleson, Jun 12, 2017.

?

Which other 80s US prime time soaps have you seen?

1. The Colbys

94.4%
  2. Dallas

88.9%
  3. Knots Landing

77.8%
  4. Falcon Crest

83.3%
  5. Flamingo Road

44.4%
  6. Paper Dolls

55.6%
  7. Emerald Point N.A.S.

22.2%
  8. Berrenger's

16.7%
  9. Bare Essence (the series)

5.6%
  10. The Yellow Rose

16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Just curious if you've been interested in other soaps besides DYNASTY.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,408
    I've seen Dallas, The Colbys, Knots Landing, Paper Dolls and about half of Falcon Crest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    I'm not interested in Dynasty :D But Dallas is my love and then I've seen Knots and The Colbys.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    You should post this in the other 80s forums, it's interesting to see who has watched what.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    That's perfectly all right:), but that was also the idea behind this poll.
    Great idea.
    Maybe I'm completely wrong, but during my 15 years on soapchat I got the impression that DYNASTY fans are usually more interested in other soaps than the other soapfans.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not an accusation or anything like that.
    But I wonder if there's a difference between the passion for the soap-genre and the passion for only one particular soap.

Of course, not everyone has had the chance to watch all the soaps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    I haven't really noticed, but then I do spend much time in any of the four big 80s forums. Hopefully this thread (and if it's in the other three forums) might spark up some interesting conversations.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    The Colbys forum too?
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    I don't see why not, I just thought it was a given that all those who watched The Colbys watched Dynasty

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Since there are only 10 options for the poll I couldn't include THE HAMPTONS (1983) but I'm not sure if it was a mini-series or a short-lived (cancelled) prime time soap.

10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    There should be 15 options

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    Yes, but I expected a huge error message if I added more, so I just stopped at 10.

12. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    LOL.

Nothing would have happened if that message did somehow pop up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I've only seen DYNASTY and THE COLBYS. DALLAS was recently recommended to me. I'm also curious about FALCON CREST and KNOTS LANDING, since they made up the Big Four of the 80s soaps. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,678
    You should try and (somehow) fit these three into your life Ked. Honestly, you will have a blast and I would go as far as to say they are three shows one needs to watch before they die.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    I thought Falcon Crest was the most similar to Dynasty, so perhaps that would be a good start.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,373
    I watched The Colbys because, well, I thought I had to as a Dynasty fan. :D

I watched Dallas (not in its original run, but in reruns later) through the end of season six and I found these seasons very enjoyable. I started losing interest in S7 and wanted someone to give me my time back at the end of the dream season (which was anything but), S9, and that is I think the last I watched. For the life of me, though I must have seen her since I remember Pam married to Marc, I don't remember Donna Reed on the show. I either blocked her out or fast forwarded her.

Falcon Crest in its first two seasons was dynamite: but those who say it was the closest to Dynasty (besides the Bill Conti connection) are correct also in that it over-plotted and burned through storylines and characters too fast, and also had too many wild twists. I seem to remember the revelation that Richard is Angela's son to be the last thing I watched, or close to it. Or maybe when their plane went down with all of them in it--were they flying over Moldavian air space? :confuse:

Knots Landing has so many eras, it feels like more than one show was on. Its early seasons remind me of how Melrose Place was more down to earth at the start, before the Michael and Kimberly plot and Amanda coming in and Allison's stalker bf. I do remember watching through the whole Val's twins saga (season 7) and I gave up somewhere at that point.

By the way, since we are mentioning short-run shows like Flamingo Road and the Yellow Rose, those of us living outside the US in the 80s also went through the 'Return to Eden" (mini-series and then the regrettable series) craze.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    The best 80s non-US prime time soap was HOWARDS' WAY (imho).

• Like Like x 1
  18. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,494
    Dynasty and Falcon Crest were indeed very similar, hence why I got into FC straight away, the very first US primetime soap I remember watching was Knots Landing, I remembered the sandcastle opening, this was around 1991 so I was around the age of two, KL was probably my first time I saw America too at a young age, my mum was fan of the show, but by 1991 over here in the UK we were watching episodes that had already aired in the states from

My mum watched Knots Landing from 1981-84 when it was axed it then came back on the air but sporadically from 1986 picking up from the 1984 episodes, I remember the last episode airing over here I think in the summer of 1994.

Aside from the the big 4, I've not watched other 80s US soaps.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,674
    I've noticed an interesting phenomenon on SoapChat where occasionally a fan of one particular show will show a very passionate dislike for one or several of the others. Almost like it would be disloyal for them to even contemplate liking such a similar show. Some can't even bring themselves to use the name of the other show and use disparaging substitute words ("Dysentery" seems to be the most popular). And they never shy away from the chance to mention that they dislike/have never seen said shows.

It fascinated me so much I started a poll a few years ago asking people how faithful they were to their favourite show (the responses ranged from "Till Death Do Us Part" through "Serial Monogamy" all the way to a full on orgy). I'm not sure I ever got to conclusively understand what it was all about though.

• Like Like x 6
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,911
    I think that every person in this world should have (or should have the opportunity to have) at least one passion - as long as it isn't harmful to them or anyone else.
    A passionate dislike is a negative - and therefore wasted - emotion, but in this case it seems like a ploy to strengthen their positive passion which, ironically, is a sign of weakness - and maybe even the fear that their extreme (positive) passion for that one particular thing isn't always justified.
    Also, since the other tv shows don't (or shouldn't) influence their passion for their favourite tv show - as it's very easy to just ignore the other shows without constantly mentioning it - it seems to me that they are very concerned with how they are being perceived by other forum members.
    Or favourite characters. But you know, if it works for them - who am I to disagree.
    But it's the unwillingness to even try something else that puzzles me. Or maybe it's the fear that they might like it, which could jeopardize their strong passion for that one particular "superior" show.

Not that all this matters to me personally, but it does seem odd that someone would choose to display those negative feelings, even more so because those comments are often based on the fact that they haven't watched the other soaps.
    It's perfectly OK to like what you know, and to know what you like - but it doesn't hurt to take a walk on the wild side every now and then, because whether it proves you right or wrong, it's always a win-win situation.

• Like Like x 4