Which season's main cast was best?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Emelee, Jan 5, 2019.

?

Which season's main cast do you like best?

1. Season 1

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. Season 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Seasons 3-4

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Seasons 5-7

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  5. Season 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Season 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Season 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Season 11

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Season 12

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Season 13

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  11. Season 14

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    Season 1: (notice no Ray or Cliff!)

[​IMG]

Season 2: (Ray added, but still not Cliff)

[​IMG]

Seasons 3 and 4: (Cliff added)

[​IMG]

Seasons 5-7: (No Jock, added Donna)

[​IMG]

Season 8: (added Jenna, Clayton & another Miss Ellie)

[​IMG]

Season 9: (no Bobby or Lucy - original Ellie back)

[​IMG]

Season 10: (Jack added in some episodes, Bobby is back)

[​IMG]

Season 11: (No Pam, Lucy's back and April is added)

[​IMG]

Season 12: (added Cally & Carter)

[​IMG]

Season 13: (Michelle & James added, Stephanie added after half the season - Sue Ellen gone)

Season 14: (Liz added, Miss Ellie gone)

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,204
    Seasons 3 -4.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +633
    If you want to look at it from a standpoint of success, the most successful season they ever had was Season 4 - which got a Nielsen rating of 27.6. A 27.6 is a tremendous rating, even by Dallas standards. Shows today would kill for that rating. Season 5, the first season without Jim Davis dropped to a 23.2 rating. You never know how much the loss of one of the stars will affect the show. You know it will be major, but not to what degree. Well, after seeing season 5 and what Dallas was like without Jock, more people quit watching Dallas and the next season, number 6, dropped down to a 20.5. They had lost almost a quarter of the audience they had in season 4. Season 6 had good stories too. It's the season where Jock's will starts the contest for control of Ewing Oil. Watching that contest was one of the most interesting, fun things I ever saw in Dallas and still they were down 7.1 points from season 4 - the last season with Jim Davis.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +633
    It's interesting how long it took some of the main characters to officially become part of the main cast. Ken Kercheval seemed to be a main star even before he was added to the opening credits, and if I remember correctly, Donna married Ray in season 4 but Susan Howard wasn't added to the main cast until the next season. Howard Keel is another. He had a main cast sized role at least two seasons before he was added to the opening credits. So does anyone here happen to know if there is anything else that actually changes when they get added to the opening credits as part of the main cast? For instance do they get a guaranteed minimum number of minutes of screen time as part of the main cast? Is there a certain amount of a pay raise they receive once they start being shown in the opening credits?

6. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +530
    Seasons 3-4 or 5-7, I think. By the way, Linda Gray was also added to the Season 2 opening credits, having not been there on Season 1.

As far as the pictures on the opening title credits are concerned, this is how it went by DVD season listings:

Season 1 had Barbara Bel Geddes, Jim Davis, Patrick Duffy, Larry Hagman, Victoria Principal and Charlene Tilton

Season 2 added Linda Gray and Steve Kanaly

Season 3 added Ken Kercheval

Season 4 had no changes

Season 5 removed Jim Davis, added Susan Howard

Season 6 had no changes

Season 7 had no changes

Season 8 removed Barbara Bel Geddes, added Howard Keel, Priscilla Beaulieu Presley and Donna Reed (Reed on the opening title credits in Episodes 8-30 only)

Season 9 removed Patrick Duffy, Donna Reed and Charlene Tilton, added Barbara Bel Geddes

Season 10 added Patrick Duffy and Dack Rambo (Rambo on the opening title credits in Episodes 1-8, 10-13 and 24-25 only, and was erroneously left off Episode 9)

Season 11 removed Susan Howard, Victoria Principal and Dack Rambo

Season 12 removed Steve Kanaly (apart from Episodes 6-10) and Priscilla Beaulieu Presley, added Charlene Tilton and Sheree J. Wilson

Season 13 removed Linda Gray, added Lesley-Anne Down, Kimberly Foster, George Kennedy, Sasha Mitchell and Cathy Podewell (Foster, Kennedy, Mitchell and Podewell were always on opening title credits during season, Down only on opening title credits in some episodes)

Season 14 removed Barbara Bel Geddes, Lesley-Anne Down and Charlene Tilton, added Barbara Stock. (Every opening title credit actor was always on opening title credits in every episode during season, even though a big chunk of those characters had either been killed off or left town before the end of the series).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    [​IMG]
    OMG, this is wrong, so very very wrong. Jenna and Pam look awesome, but what's that thing on Donna's head, it looks photoshopped.
    Sue Ellen has borrowed a dress from Dorothy Zbornak and Lucy looks like she filled with air. Lots of it.
    And then that fugly background, the colours of the carpet and the sofa and the curtains, it's decoration-murder in the first degree.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +530
    In Dack Rambo's case, by the time he was on the opening title credits he had already had his best days on Dallas the previous season. Rambo appeared in every episode in Season 9 DVD, but only 15 episodes in the season after when he had his picture on the opening titles.

9. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,924
    I voted 5-7 since at that time all of the original cast was still intact except for Jim Davis and although Jock was great I prefer Clayton over him. I know Howard Keel was not yet in the opening credits this season but he was on the cast and he was a great addition as was Priscilla Presley.

Moreover in this seasons the supporting cast such as Audrey Landers, Morgan Brittany and Timothy Patrick Murphy were also superb. I prefer them and the characters they were playing to Deborah Shelton and Janilee Harrison who joined the cast the next year.

Also season 7 was the last great season before they replaced Miss Ellie, which was IMHO the first sign of decline in quality.

I love the later seasons cast though. A question, does anyone know if there are any cast pictures that features Michelle, James and April?

That is from season 13. :)
    I have never seen one.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,137
    It's between seasons 3-4 and 5-7, the difference is either Donna or Jock. As much as I like Donna, Jock was such a great character and had an important part in making the series a success so I voted 3-4.
    This ruled out most of the following seasons for me.
    :lolling:

Although not everyone liked Donna Reed as Ellie, she looked so good in that season 8 photo: pretty, stylish and elegant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,924
    I agree that Donna Reed did look pretty, stylish and elegant. However since Barbara Bel Geddes was Miss Ellie most people prefered the way she portrayed the character.

Also I have seen another version of that cast photo, so one of them must be mirrored.
    8600_3.jpg
    It's a shame Patrick wasn't in that photo. Most of the characters are wearing the same clothes as they had for the Oil baron's ball episode that year in season 8. (DVD)

12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    So...this is about a favourite combination of opening credits rather than favourite cast?

13. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    But it's so very 1984. It's what Orwell warned us about.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    It's favorite main cast members. The actual opening credits don't matter, I used them only to figure out who was on full contract and which actors were hired more short-term or as guests.

15. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Who voted 13? were you drunk when you clicked?

3 - 4 is obviously the best.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,287
    :obvious:

[​IMG]
    Yes ..... drunk .... I wanted Season 14.... because I had that season almost all to myself.... :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,317
    I almost voted for 3 - 4, but I voted for season 5 - 7 because from here on i started to watch Dallas in the 80's.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +163
    It's very close but I think, in terms of ability to act, I voted for 5-7 because Susan Howard was a fabulous addition in that respect.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I voted 5-7 but felt guilty for not including Jim Davis.

20. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I have always believed that with Jock gone they should have maneuvered JR into Jock and Sue Ellen into Miss Ellie. With BBG limiting her role later on as a perfect fit to such an arrangement. I think they just feared that in such a set up JR couldn’t be as evil as he’d been, but end the cheating on Sue Ellen and she’d gave ignored his business corruption and he could have built Ewing Oil into a giant. Couple have used Lucy more, Wendell more, even Mickey more with such a direction. I also think they should have been more business / political of a drama with family at the center of both. Instead they focused too much on soap opera drama and people pulled away.