1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Which should have been the BEST season?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Ked, Oct 6, 2018.

?

Which season should have been the best?

1. Season 1

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Season 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Season 3

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Season 4

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Season 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Season 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Season 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Season 8

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Season 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    We've talked about which season we thought was the best... and we've talked about which season was the worst...

...But now I'd like to ask, which season SHOULD have been the best?

2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    Season 4 always cries out to be a defining year for DYNASTY, one which was posh and chic and sophisticated --- all those things the show always pretended to be, but at a point in the series before it had become so OTT. For the most part, this just never happened.

Season 6 should have been the soap season to end all soap seasons. It didn't quite work. Or even come close.

Season 8 should have been a lusciously dark, gothic season. But of course it was not.

So why do I think these things? It all just smells right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,269
    I think the reason for this is quite natural - season two was great (and turned out to be its defining year) that it feels like it's only natural that season three would stumble a little. It's still a good/decent season in itself, but clearly not reaching the heights of the previous one. It feels like the staff should've taken stock of what didn't quite work in season three and then made season four even better.

I guess because the viewers didn't punish them with diminishing ratings at that point, they didn't care and just went in half-arseing it. It was still on the rise anyway, so who cares?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,500
    If you remove the waste from season 3 then there's room to put the best from later seasons (or at least those storylines with potential) in that timeline, making it the most spectacular thing ever shown on television.

Season 1: the beginning (no need to change anything)
    Season 2: maybe they could remove the Logan Rhinewood + Nick-as-surgeon storylines. Cecil could die earlier. The fire happens on SkyCrest + Adam is alive!
    Season 3: The Climax! (Alexis wins, including the mansion. But the avalanche threatens her victory).
    Season 4: Dynasty reinvents itself, America meets Europe. Royalty (the De Vilbis family) and 80s pop culture (guest appearance by George Michael).
    The Colbys:D / Season 5: Dynasty reinvents itself again, it's the gubernatorial race, Alexis vs. Krystle. Caress publishes her book. Adam is exposed as an impostor.
    Alexis goes crazy after losing her "son" again and tries to kill Blake. But it's Krystle who takes the bullet and dies.

The End and The Colbys will go on forever and they can do the nazi-treasure storyline.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    For me I always felt that both seasons 4 & 6 should have both been defining years of the series.

Season 4 because of European aspirations, gothic film noir, almost 1940s, Alexis was definitely at her best here, cool, self assured, genuinely powerful and threatening, with cool, calm, collected intellect, Fallon getting some karma back for how she's treated men for years, Krystle doing something other than arranging flowers at the mansion, I liked all of that but it needed more somehow, of all the middle seasons season 4 is probably the best season for me by a far margin, but I still wanted more gothic-ness, LB's birthday episode was a wonderful contrast to the rest of the season, from the first episode there was an air of doom and tragedy that over arched the season, before I even knew what would happen to Fallon I knew something terrible was going to befall the Carrington's by the seasons end.

Season 6, is the complete opposite to season 4, its far more campy, more Douglas Sirk, 1960s melodrama than 1940s film noir, gone were the European ambitions and in with American nouve riche.
    The younger generation were gearing to take over, we should have seen more glass throwing, (I can see Claudia doing this to Adam)
    I wish season 6 was just that bit more crazy than what it was, Alexis should have been queen for five episodes, she should have divorced Dex, married and divorced Galen, then marry Ben all in that season!
    If I had my way I wouldn't have done a spinoff but I would have incorporated Sable, Jason, Monica, Miles and occasionally Constance into season 6, the Moldavians were on their way out anyway and in the absence of the Fallmonts, The Colby's could simply take their place, the nazi treasure storyline would occur during season 6, the best time for this to have happened since all the cast were around, I would love to see Caress and Ben work together to get the treasure, meanwhile Miles would flirt with both Amanda and Sammy Jo, Fallon would revert to her former self and her relationship with Jeff would very on/off, Dominique and Garrett would marry but an avalanche would kill him, Constance, Frankie and Steven who would be revealed to be an imposter as the real Steven returns.

Sorry got carried away.......:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,500
    Yes, and then I want to see them being trapped in one of the tunnels, the way it happened to Fallon and Krystina. And no-one will ever find out what happened to them. Is that gothic enough?:)

So...if you'd only use the best of Dynasty, how many seasons would you do? For how long should it continue after its defining year (and still be a hit show)?

7. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,747
    Based on my anticipation as each season ended, I'd say season 4. Season 3 had the merger storyline and Blake and Krystle no longer married, and Kirby pregnant by Adam, and Fallon away from that idiot Jeff as well. Plus there was the upcoming Daniel custody battle coming and Steven looked like he was going to stand up to Blake. I could not wait (and even the cliffhanger was delicious).
    Despite the worst anti-climax when the season unfolded, I still think if the writers and producers had given up on drugs early , it would have been dynamite.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,500
    Speaking of drugs, wouldn't that be the perfect excuse for an extraterrestrial experience?
    She should have been blinded by the lights of the UFO, instead of the truck.

Or was it Hitler's time travel machine?

Either way, after the crash, I'd end it with Fallon approaching a mysterious green light. And she'd still be wearing her wedding dress because her panic and disappearance is supposed to be a spontaneous and uncontrolled action.

The drugs would explain most of it, but I wouldn't mind a bit of mystery a la Picnic At Hanging Rock. Just something for the audience to play with, rather than becoming a pivotal storyline.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,747
    And an alien took Adam's form and had his way with her. Hence her nightmares.

10. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    I wouldn't kill off Caress, Ben however would die, Caress would find out He raped Sable so she'd lure him down to the mineshaft in season 7 and would trap him there, meanwhile she's pregnant with his child.

As for how many seasons, I'd do eleven seasons, so it would end in 1991, ten years after it started, (FC would end in 1988, DALLAS would still end in 1991, and KNOTS in 1994) plus the Reunion was aired in 1991 so it would fit.

The 1988-91 era of my DYNASTY (my-nasty) would be its revival era just as DALLAS was fading fast DYNASTY would rise from the ashes.

Season 8 would include all sorts of freaky stuff, I liked @Snarky's Ghost's ideas of a sex tape Sammy Jo made in the early 1980s would somehow get out (via Alexis) in an attempt to ruin her auntie Krystle's gubernatorial election campaign however Krystle's media team would spin this into a story of redemption of Krystle saving her beloved niece from a life of sordidness' and scandal and transforming her into another Carrington daughter equal to Fallon and Amanda.

I could see Krystle and Sammy Jo plotting this themselves, I always felt these two should have been a double act of the series.

Also In season 8 we could have psychic readings, Krystle, Steven and Claudia would become Christians, Steven would get lured into a cult,
    Amanda would seek vengeance on Michael Culhane's murderers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,269
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug and what the hell did Fallon do?

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,500
    That surprises me, since you've moved the Colbys and the nazi treasure to season 6. I think Dynasty (or any series for that matter) should end when it's still terrific.

13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    Season 7 would also be a good ending point, with 6x3 Miniseries airing in the years 1989, 1991 & 1994 titled:

The 1989 miniseries would be the gubernatorial campaign storyline with Krystle winning and becoming governor of Colorado.

The 1991 miniseries would be where Blake retires and hands over DC to Adam, causing friction between the Carrington siblings.

The 1994 miniseries will see Blake, Krystle and Alexis joining forces against a bigger enemy, closing the Carrington saga for the time being.

• Creative Creative x 1