Which shows do you have the COMPLETE series for on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Snarky's Ghost, Sep 12, 2017.

1. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +987
    I don’t know. But he was the most well known of them. And the “And Tony Curtis is Roth” not only draws your attention but is also like saying actor is fused with character? I really don’t know. But I want one.
    In time. Yes! And possibly prison sentences. And if I have to get into bed with Zach Powers in order to do it, so be it. But I’m not letting him anywhere near my pipeline. Pablo won’t be shafting me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Cannon (VEI condensed all-in-one of this 1971-76 CBS detective series w/the late William Conrad)

cannon1.jpg cannon2.jpg

3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Not technically a TV series but I suppose I could add The Three Stooges Classic Shorts Collection since they used to be constantly screened in simulated sitcom two-per-half-hour format.

4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    Well...I have yet to purchase it (it's expensive at $300 AU) but I do recall enjoying this series in its original run. Everytime I see the advertisement my ears prick, possibly because it had a great intro, much like Dallas and Dynasty. I've been dropping hints to the extended family if they wish to know what I would like for Christmas 2018.

dvd_theflyingdoctors_series00__18500.1417480194.1280.1280.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Why is the all-in-one of that Aussie series so expensive in Australian dollars-- is it because of the run of that series Down Under?

6. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,464
    I loved this show and it's on my list of series I'd love to own on DVD. There was a UK edition some years ago but I foolishly waited too long for it to come down in price. It's now OOP and going for around £500 on Amazon.

The Crawford DVDs seem to be incredibly expensive. The Sullivans is another title that's eluded me for that reason. I contacted Crawfords a few years ago about The Box. I've read so much about that show, but their online shop was the only place it was available and they don't ship internationally. They kindly offered to arrange overseas postage as a one-off, but between the cost of the items (AU$60 per set) plus very expensive postage costs and the inevitable import charges it would have ruined me.

7. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +615
    The Brady Bunch (CBS condensed all-in-one of that hit 1969-74 ABC comedy w/Robert Reed, Florence Henderson, et al.)

bradybunch1.jpg bradybunch2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    It did run for 9 seasons not including the mini series which pre-dates the box set however if I or the family purchase it the bonus is the inclusion of the mini series as well. From memory it was an expensive series to produce and was popular both here and overseas. It's a real shame the cost is so prohibitive but what many people don't realise is Crawford Productions is now owned by WIN Television Corporation...a bit greedy in my opinion.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Square Pegs (original 2008 Sony all-in-one of this 1982-83 CBS comedy w/Sarah Jessica Parker and Amy Linker; would post pictures, but copy I got had tape on it so tight that taking it off tore much of the front and back art off)

10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    :lol: CANNON? "One of the most critically acclaimed television series from the 1970s", as the jacket says??... I mean, it was a successful private eye show, yes, but...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Twin Peaks (Definitive Gold Box Edition of that cult hit 1990-91 two-season ABC detective/mystery/supernatural series w/Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Ontkean, et al.)

twinpeaks1.jpg twinpeaks2.jpg

12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,312
    Just ordered this...
    upload_2018-1-12_21-13-14.png

And this
    upload_2018-1-12_21-14-43.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +615
  14. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +987
    I was searching in a cupboard at home and found Grace & Favour, the follow up to Are You Being Served?. It was sitting on top of Kessler, the follow-up series to Secret Army (‘Allo ‘Allo sends up Secret Army and John D. Collins was a regular on both). Kessler follows the adventures of erm.. Kessler as he plans to help lead Germany back to Nazism, decades later. The first episode features appearances from some of the regulars from Secret Army. That was sitting on top of a still-sealed copy of On The Buses, which I was sent (and had forgotten about) without giving permission. You do get people like Yootha Joyce and Bob Todd turning up in that. Yootha Joyce appears in one of the six episodes shot after the departure of the show’s lead, Reg Varney. I did look at the first episode from 1969 (because it took up time I’d have spent on dull chores) which features Rudolph Walker. He has said of this:
    “My next major part was in On the Buses. I was supposed to be a running character, but then they said - and they'd probably deny it now - that they couldn't continue with the part because it would affect the ratings. Back then, there always had to be a dramatic reason for bringing in a black character. I wanted to be known as an actor. You would go to a casting and when they saw you were black they would say "I'm sorry you haven't got enough experience." But it was an excuse.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2001/oct/22/tvandradio.television1

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +987
    Perhaps they confused it with Barnaby Jones! After all, Cannon did turn up in Barnaby Jones.

I’ve got a lovely little private eye show called Public Eye (ABC/Thames 1965-75), created by Roger Marshall and Anthony Marriott) which did seven series. Frank Marker (Alfred Burke) used to investigate the sorts of things that down-to-earth enquiry agents usually tend to. He also needed to take just about every case that crossed his path, because he needed the money. He took a few beatings and got thrown into the River Thames. There was an internal continuity going. He went from London and moved to Birmingham for a while. Marker gets jailed at the end of the third series series and spends a year in prison. He then moves to Brighton (with a slower-paced theme) and Stephanie Beacham stops by, during a period where he tries to get going again after his release.

The Brighton titles also open series five but then he moves again to Windsor, so there is another title sequence change from episode two and back to the regular title music and the show goes colour. Marker also spends time recuperating after another vicious beating and gets involved in a private eye partnership for a while before moving again to Chertsey. In his last case, however, he is in with a chance of earning a large fee for once. He misses it by 15 minutes. It was very successful but Alfred Burke bailed on doing more episodes because Euston Films were going to shoot it and he had reservations about how that might affect the show.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    I wasn't picking on his tastes, by the way -- I used to watch CANNON, too, when I was a mere wisp of a boy. But the cover jacket asserting it was one of the most critically acclaimed series of the '70s almost made me shoot my ripple-and-soda right out of my nose.

And BARNABY JONES' Jerry Goldsmith theme was great! CANNON's John Parker theme always makes me think I'm watching DALLAS, and that William Conrad is probably Jock's gay cousin, chef-with-a-revolver Jake Ewing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,461
    I had never heard of this series before.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,464
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +987
    Mr Humphries, Mrs Slocombe, Captain Peacock, Miss Brahms and Mr Rumbold were all back after a seven year gap.
    8BADB159-A871-4446-9200-5CD11A6FE1DA.jpeg

20. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +987
    Oh, that reminds me that Benny Hill did a comedy sketch in 1976 featuring Cannon, McCloud, Ironside, Barnaby Jones, Columbo, Police Woman, Kojak (and Stavros) and Poirot in Murder on the Oregon Express. Benny Hill played six of those. My brother-in-law’s much nicer brother gave me his annuals (DVDs), which I just found on top of The Brittas Empire DVDs. I keep forgetting to get Chris Barrie to sign them. I see him all over the place. Usually with Danny John-Jules.

• Like Like x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)