Which shows do you have the COMPLETE series for on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Snarky's Ghost, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    There's nothing better than sliding that last book or DVD into place in a uniform volume set. :)

I'm a packrat, myself. I intended to buy only shows I expected to rewatch but lately have given in with a couple I wanted to see that just weren't being aired here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    I do that too sometimes. We only got the first 3 seasons of The Good Wife, watching (buying) the DVDs was the only option to watch season 4 - 7.
    It's a terrific show, but not something I'd like to watch again (well, maybe season 5). These modern shows don't have much curiosity value imho (except TNT Dallas, of course).

I intend to buy the complete NASHVILLE series, they're doing the last season now?
    That's something I really like to watch, and apart from the import DVDs I've never seen it anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,643
    When I buy a DVD set, the hope is always that I'll re-watch, but my viewing habits have changed a great deal. I watch so little TV of any kind these days and have so many DVDs that it's always many years between viewings of even my most frequently watched shows. I try to factor that in when buying yet more but the lure of vintage British sitcoms is a strong one.

Yes indeed, Willie. That would have given me great peace of mind. I look after my boxes like they're my children, so I know you would have been very happy together. But the main thing is that you have it! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +869
    Well, for Espionage, Stuart Rosenberg directed The Incurable One, a very cinematic piece with Steven Hill, Ingrid Thulin, Michael Gwynn and Andrew Sachs. Stuart Rosenberg later directed the movie Cool Hand Luke. They would also have feature film directors working on ITC shows, like Michael Powell, Charles Crichton, John Paddy Carstairs, Charles Frend, Seth Holt, Freddie Francis (who later worked with Martin Scorsese) and Roy Ward Baker (who had directed movies for 20th Century Fox). They also had blacklisted actors, such as David Bauer, who gave powerful performances in many British shows.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Quantum Leap Mill Creek all-in-one DVD

quantumleap1.jpg quantumleap2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Nashville is one I've been considering. for when I finish Pretty Little Liars.

7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    I really, really liked Nashville for a long time, but by the time I got to the end of Season 4 I’d decided I never really wanted to see any of these characters again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    Oh my, that's a very strong comment. I'll consider this a serious warning and maybe I should spend my money on something else instead.

Now I'm curious to know: how could it all go so very, very wrong?

9. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I'm a real sucker for nostalgic television. My collection (with many complete shows) can be found here:

My DVD & Blu-ray collection

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    The first thing I noticed were the Agatha Christie movies, very hard to find on DVD.

11. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    When NASHVILLE was good, it was very good. It was never quite as soapy as an 80s soap, but what I liked was that it was very much about the city of Nashville and the country music business in the same way DALLAS was about the city of Texas and the oil business -- even if it was a more glamorised/simplified version of that business than the reality. NASHVILLE/DALLAS was its own specific universe and that was good enough for me.

It maybe wasn't as dark as I would have chosen it to be, i.e., nobody ended up killing or prostituting themselves because they didn't succeed in the music biz, but I could accept that it wasn't that sort of a show. The characters were very likeable, and it was emotional the way ER was emotional -- almost every episode would make me do a little cry.

Still, I was always aware that NASHVILLE could easily lose its music-based focus and become just a show where Sad Things Happening To Nice People, with the music stuff just becoming a backdrop. And eventually that's what happened, and I realised I didn't care enough about the nice people and their endlessly on-off love stories to carry on paying for any more DVDs (even though someone assured me that Something Absolutely Unthinkable That Changes Everything would take place at the end of the next season).

Sidebar: I always thought the music in the show was really great, even if the way it was performed was a little too slick -- nobody ever fluffed a line or a note when they performed. No matter what traumatic thing was going on in their lives or even if the song they were singing had only been written that afternoon, the delivery was always word perfect (unless the plot specifically required a character to break down halfway through a performance). This didn't bother me -- I happily accepted it as part of the show's artifice -- until I began losing patience with the series in general, then I began to crave some sort of realism in that regard. I recently watched Ricki and the Flash, a really great little movie about a small-town covers band starring Meryl Streep and Rick Springfield, which has exactly the kind of gutsy raw realism -- you really believe those people are performing that music live in front of you and that their emotions are impacting the songs and vice versa -- that NASHVILLE lacks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    Doesn't it always?
    Whenever I'm getting doubtful about a story, and someone "promises" me that it's going to be better, that's when I know it's time to get out.
    Because I either feel it or I don't.

Hm, not one Neely O'Hara type?
    Country music is so melodramatic so I thought it would be very soap-y with lots of horrible events.

13. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    Characters fall from grace, but there's a kind of televisual safety net that stops them falling too far, and they always find away back. (The main characters, that is.)

14. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer (late-50s syndicated half-hour series w/the late Darren McGavin) from A&E/New Video

mikehammer1.jpg mikehammer2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  15. Edie70

Edie70 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Desperate Housewives
    Six Feet Under
    Frasier
    Will & Grace

• Like Like x 1
  16. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +468
    All in the family
    The Dukes of hazard
    Roseanne
    Seinfeld
    The O.C
    Dawson's creek
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Diagnosis murder
    Gilmore girls
    Friends

• Like Like x 2
  17. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +463
    Recently acquired as a Christmas present w/$25 Wal-Mart gift card: Vega$ (condensed CBS all-in-one of that 1978-81 ABC detective/adventure series w/the late Robert Urich)

vegas1.jpg vegas2.jpg

18. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +869
    Colditz was a co-production between the BBC and Universal and starred Robert Wagner and David McCallum alongside Jack Hedley. Producer Gerard Glaister did The Brothers, Secret Army, Howard’s Way and other shows. I’ve got Colditz. I found stuff next to it like that set of Keeping Up Appearances that I got for my mother but never delivered, next to that set of Father Brown once intended for my brother-in-law, whose name I can never remember.

I was watching David Hedison and Joseph Campanella in 1960s British series recently and then I opened a cupboard and released a DVD set of The Colbys that I had hidden to prevent my half-niece from finding.

I always wanted an “is” credit.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    Ooh, but that beautiful set should be displayed, for everyone to see!
    As for your family members, I think you should get a restraining order. And change the locks every month or so.

20. bmasters9

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +463
    I bet you did! One thing I wonder: why was Tony Curtis credited here as "is Roth" instead of "as Roth"?

• Agree Agree x 1