Which Side Were You On, Team Ewing or Team Barnes?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I know Dallas is about the Ewings, so it’s easy to root for them. The Barnes were, for the most part, the underdogs. Everybody loves the underdog. But the difference is that Cliff is probably a more unlikable character than JR. Lets face it, particularly in the early years, he was JR without the money and was nowhere near as polished as JR. But on the other hand, the Ewings went out of their way to make Jock out to be a saint when he was far from one. Then there’s JR. The greatest TV villain of all time, but he was a VERY bad guy. Many times, he went out of his way to make people miserable, including family members, not mentioning what he put Sue Ellen through. Back to Barnes, as soon as he came into money, he became unbearable.

I think we can all agree that there was really no “good guys” in the Ewing vs Barnes feud, but who did you find yourselves rooting for? I have a feeling most is gonna say the Ewings, heck, my answer is the Ewings and it probably shouldn’t be. Lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    Ewings

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +932
    for the hell of it I'm going to go Barnes, at least in the early Jock years. Though already vengeance-obsessed, Cliff was smart and competent and nothing like the buffoon they made him into later. Pam was savvy and tough (and preposterously beautiful) initially, and the David Wayne Digger was entertaining. The wild card is Cousin Jimmy - why did they get rid of him?? Stupid!

It was also more interesting when what happened to start the feud was something of an open question. People seemed to lean towards Jock's version of things being more accurate than Digger's, but it wasn't set in stone. Jock's famous speech to Bobby - "real power is something you TAKE!" - had potential implications in that context, almost like a confession that he indeed screwed Digger over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,051
    I think it's too difficult to say which family I was rooting for as each one was made up of various characters who some of the time I was rooting for and some of the time I wasn't. Which is why it was such a great show I think, most of the characters had questionable morals, some more than others, but most of them I liked whether they were supposed to be 'likeable' or not. And each family was just as often turning on each other as on their rivals, so it wasn't often as simple as 'us vs them'. Of course it was satisfying to see JR triumph, but I also liked it on the rare occasions that Cliff got the upper hand. I was generally rooting for Pam, yet loved it when she got shafted by JR or Katherine. I think when you have an ensemble where they're all great characters played by competent actors I find myself just sitting back and watching them plot and scheme and duke it out, without really feeling the need to pick a side. I just enjoy the drama, intrigue and carnage, whoever comes out on top.

But I guess it's worth mentioning that I'm really talking about the glory years of Dallas when the characters were in their prime.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,522
    Medals:
    Ewings all the way!

Swami

6. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I always was Team Barnes and I´ll be a hypocrite if I said the opposite now. Since the early idealistic Cliff and feisty Pam to the latter versions of the characters, I rooted for both of them even knowing that Cliff indeed was a "nasty little man" (Katherine dixit...) and Pam was as naïve as Bambi when he was born. Maybe because I always tend to prefer natural born losers and emotional messes (which might define both of them at certain points of their lives)...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    When you watch Dallas, the Ewing family is like watching the home team in sports and anybody who messes with them, whether it's the Barneses, Jeremy Wendell, Carter McKay or whoever is the rival, the visiting team you want to see beaten. Think of how the show starts - you see Southfork - analogous to the "home field" in sports.

Where does most of the show take place? In Southfork and in Ewing Oil offices. Who is responsible for creating and running Southfork and Ewing Oil? Miss Ellie (and her family the Southworths when you go back further) for Southfork and Jock for saving Southfork from the auction block and Jock for founding Ewing Oil and building it into an empire long after Digger and Jason had sold their 1/3 shares to Wallace Windham and Jock mortgaged and saved to be able to buy those shares from Windham so the shares didn't fall into the wrong hands (like West Star), keeping the company Ewing Oil.

Everything centers around the Ewings. Even Pam has already become a Ewing when the first episode starts. If you don't like the Ewings, you don't watch the show.

The antagonists like the Barneses and the Mckays and West Star are there to give the Ewings a hard time, to create drama. The audience sees all three of these groups try to hurt the family they love to watch every week. There isn't much to like about these anatagonists.

Digger is a drunk who tried to shoot Jock. He claims to have this amazing ability to smell oil underground. If Jock Ewing was the only thing holding him back from success he must have been one of the most in-demand, successful oilmen in Texas once he parted ways with Jock, right? But the only time he was ever successful was under Jock's leadership. Who else did he ever find oil for on a scale even worth mentioning?

Rebecca is a cold hearted woman who left her 5 year old so and her infant daughter in the care of a drunk so she could start her life over without the inconvenience of her children being in her life. She wanted to marry a wealthy man and if he found out she had children it might screw up her deal. Even after marrying the man she didn't go looking for her children.

It's not tough to decide which team to root for, is it?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    In fewer words:

- The Ewings were hypocrites who blamed each other for their own mistakes.
    - The Barneses were long-suffering people who did anything to survive.

Which side are you on?

9. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Good points, but I don’t think it’s that cut and dry. This argument kind of reminds me of some of the arguments I’ve encountered discussing “The Godfather” when people say, “the Corleones are the good guys or aren’t as bad as the other families.” Lol Same with the Ewings, it’s easy to see everything from their point of view when the show is about them. Again, I’m team Ewing, but they had plenty of faults themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,314
    Medals:
    I think the point of these stories is to keep that feud alive, so whoever gets the short end of the stick should be strong or fortunate enough to come back with a vengeance.
    Survive? Really?

11. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Digger drank alcohol as if it were some life sustaining elixir. It's a miracle he lived as long as he did considering how much alcohol he drank. You could say Digger survived despite his best efforts.

12. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,645
    Medals:
    I'm on Team Wanna Good Story.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    I think it was Miss Ellie who said that the Ewings might fight amongst themselves but if an outsider attacked any one of them they would band together against them - or something to that effect.

I hated what JR did to Bobby and Pam and Gary and Val and Lucy but when he was attacked by someone outside I was Team Ewing without a doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Yes, Miss Ellie said that, I think when the cartel had charged a ridiculously high interest rate to JR when he got a loan from them during the time when he was stockpiling Clayton's oil to try to get John Ross back home. Miss Ellie said to the cartel and Cliff what you said she did and then she added "And that's what makes us unbeatable"!

When the Ewings banded together were my favorite times like when they did at the barbecue. It was when a mob was gathering - they were angry at JR because of his discount gas stations. At first they threatened just JR but then Bobby walked over to him and stood next to him and then Ray joined Bobby and JR and Ray said "if there's any blood spilled here today I guarantee you it won't just be Ewing blood"!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,443
    Team Pam ;-)

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,176
    Team Ewing till I die but I did adore Cliff for the most part and at times did feel very bad for him.

17. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Yes, even if they had to come almost schizos, inhuman people, look at Rebecca and Katherine...But both of them survived if it hadn´t been for the bad luck the former had when she took that plane. Katherine remained safe and wacky somewhere in the globe...And Pam, while she was strong enough to walk by herself and do her own hair, fought against anything and anybody to overcome problems...Of course, many times she just walked away because nobody could think straight at that hell of a ranch, but she was even strong enough after the accident to force Bobby to divorce her and let her go. I call that strength, despite the lameness of her last season and her exit scene one year after VP´s departure.

18. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,314
    Medals:
    If survival was their priority then why did it always have to happen on Jock Ewing's lawn? How could that possibly make their situation any better?
    The Barneses were nothing but a bunch of busybodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  19. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    I think it's easy to bail. As soon as stuff gets tough a lot of people just bail. I appreciate people who make the effort to stay and work through the difficult times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +587
    I was definitely with the Barneses in the early episodes. It became more complicated after that, because the Ewings and Barneses themselves were arguing a lot, and Cliff changed largely for the worse.

• Agree Agree x 1