1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whitney Houston nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sarah, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50046923

She should have been nominated while she was alive, but has been now. Delighted. Absolutely loved her. One of a kind and is sorely missed.

Whitney Houston has been nominated for a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a honour she never received in her lifetime.

One of the biggest stars of the 1980s, she has never previously been put forward for induction, possibly because of her lack of songwriting credits.

But the institution has a history of recognising virtuoso vocalists, including Aretha Franklin, who was the first woman to enter the Hall in 1987.

A final decision will be made in 2020.

Artists are eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first album.

Houston, whose debut arrived in 1985, is one of 16 nominees for next year's ceremony, alongside the likes of Depeche Mode, Chaka Khan and Nine Inch Nails.

She is one of several first-time nominees, with The Notorious BIG, Thin Lizzy, T Rex, Motörhead and Pat Benatar all making the ballot for the first time.

However, as electro-pioneers Kraftwerk can testify, a nomination doesn't always translate into a place in the hall. They're on the list for the sixth time this year.

Meanwhile disco legends Chic, who have notched up 11 nominations without a win, didn't make the latest longlist at all.

More than 1,000 musicians, experts and critics will whittle down the nominees to decide the class of 2020. Fans are also allowed to vote for their favourite act online - with the winner getting one extra "vote" in the final ballot.

The artists they will choose between are:

• Pat Benatar
    • Dave Matthews Band
    • Depeche Mode
    • The Doobie Brothers
    • Whitney Houston
    • Judas Priest
    • Kraftwerk
    • MC5
    • Motörhead
    • Nine Inch Nails
    • The Notorious B.I.G.
    • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    • Todd Rundgren
    • Soundgarden
    • T Rex
    • Thin Lizzy
    Whitney Houston sold more records and received more awards than almost any other female pop star of the 20th Century.

She was the first artist ever to have seven consecutive singles hit number one in the US, starting with 1985's Saving All My Love For You; while her 1992 cover of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You sold was bought by more than 20 million people worldwide, making it the best-selling song by a female artist of all time.

If she is inducted to the Hall of Fame in Cleveland next April, she will take her rightful place alongside the biggest stars of the MTV era - Michael Jackson, Madonna and Prince.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,843
    I love Whitney Houston but again they have not nominated Diana Ross who I think would be a more deserving inductee than any of those nominated this year. Although she is in there as part of The Supremes, her solo career was bigger than anything the group achieved and should be in there as a solo artist too.

3. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    I have to disagree there. Not a fan of Diana Ross or her voice - Whitney takes it for me.

4. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,903
    I really like Robert Smith's response to the whole Hall of Fame thing:

5. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 10 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,311
    I agree with you on Diana Ross and the same applies to Tina Turner. She was inducted as a part of Ike and Tina Turner, but I think she deserves to be inducted for her solo career, imho.

I'm glad Ms. Houston is getting her due.
    Her versions of The Star Spangled Banner and the Christmas carol Do You Hear What I Hear both give me chills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sarah

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,308
    Best version of The Star Spangled Banner ever :)