Who is Abby's true love?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Karin Schill, Dec 18, 2017.

?

Who is Abby's true love?

1. Jeff

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gary

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Greg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Charles

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. Her kids

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Abby is Abby's true love, she's incapable of loving anyone else

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  7. Other

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,279
    Medals:
    Karen had a succession of plotlines that spotlighted the fractured relationship between her and Diana. Most of the other ladies did not have that, and I guess it makes them look like "better" mothers simply because we didn't see the mother/child relationship examined quite as closely. Much of their mothering was happening off-screen.

Abby and Olivia were already somewhat distant due to the secret about the twins when Olivia started taking drugs. After Abby took drastic action to get Olivia off the drugs, Olivia got back to normal for the most part. In both cases there was an outside source driving them apart (Abby's secret and Olivia's addiction) and once it was removed, they went back to a more typical relationship. Karen and Diana had no outside source causing their problems; they just were very much alike and pushed one another's buttons. That sort of problem can't be overcome as easily or neatly.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Angela's Mulled Wine

Angela's Mulled Wine World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,975
    Medals:
    Yes, she told Greg if she had to choose between love and money, money would always win.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +712
    Diana and Olivia have roles reversed. Diana is closer to her aunt Abby than her mother Karen, just as Olivia is closer to Val and Karen than her mother Abby. Even in Season 2, we see a 9-year-old Olivia developing a strong bond with Val.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Avery Merry Christmas

Avery Merry Christmas Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,279
    Medals:
    And of course such blurring of the lines sets up great domestic drama, since it forces mothers who don't get along (Karen/Abby, and later Abby/Val) to deal with one another, and gave the enemies something in common (someone in common they care for). I would think the concept of "my child prefers my enemy to me" would be a horror scenario for most mothers, which is likely why they keep going back to it.

• Like Like x 1