Who is still fighting for Dallas ... #SaveDallas #WhereAreTheEwings ?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by DALLASguy, Oct 2, 2016.

1. DALLASguy

DALLASguy Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +315
    IMG_9371.JPG IMG_9372.JPG IMG_9373.JPG Some fans still fight for the return of Dallas ... I do, I miss Dallas and I know the new Dallas is different, but still Dallas ... please join Twitter to #SaveDallas

• Like Like x 6
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,511
    Fraid Im not
    CC didnt have a clue and destroyed it and Im glad it ended before she could do even more damage
    Dallas was an 80s show and belongs in the 80s,
    I care about ORIGINAL Dallas and cast - only that

Larry Hagman was the one reason to watch TNT Dallas and he sadly died, so did Dallas - a slow and painful end to a once great drama
    I dont want its legacy damaged even further. It bore no resemblance to a show i have loved since a young girl, it was embarassing to watch and the acting left a lot to be desired

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Amen sister!!! Dallas belonged and ended in the 80's, they should never had revived it and especially by someone who did not know what they were doing and try to put their own spin on it. I would've preferred a mini series to wrap things up from the last original season than a revival.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +768

Goodbye Dallas, it was a fun ride from start to finish.

I watched the show through Bobby's death, & then his resurrection & return.

I said a tearful goodbye to Victoria Principal, hoping some day she would return, but alas that was not to be.

I watched Dallas through it's final years & when the time came to say a final Goodbye to the show in 1991, I cried.

It won't be forgotten but I doubt if it will ever come back to television again.

As other wiser heads have said Dallas belongs in the 80's, but it also belongs in our hearts too. :hb:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,371
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I´d rather watch 10 Dallas sequels than 1 re-imagining of Dienasty, as long as this woman is not at the reins...

upload_2016-10-4_20-37-18.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    I don't want to see Dallas continue again. Especially since JR and Katherine wouldn't be in it. Even without Cynthia Cidre, who is to say that someone else might screw things up in the hopes of "connecting with the younger viewers" or some other garbage like that. I am surprised that people are still fighting for it, though. I just hope that no one gets too weird about it like that Dallas Novelization person we used to see on the old forum.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,449
    The last time I used the #SaveDallas tag was in February. Then again I don't really think there's any point to this campaign anymore. It just won't happen. :(

However with that said I did some videos back in the fall of 2014 for the #SaveDallas cause when there was still hope:

I think it's too late to save Dallas now.
    The show won't be brought back again and if the campaign is still ongoing I think all fans who still want to "Save Dallas" should focus their efforts on getting a reunion movie/5 part mini-series to wrap up the show made for 2018, which will mark the 40th Anniversary of Dallas. Just my two cents. :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,813
    I will always fight for Dallas. Always. I'm just not sure that we will get another show but a 40th anniversary special would be something else.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    I disagree. Dallas should come back and stay on television for all eternity. Because I think the fans will never be ready to say "goodbye".

• Like Like x 3
  10. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +768
    The only hope for the show to return is a reboot with new actors.

It's too late now for another continuation series as the Cyntax Dallas failed to attract much viewers. So I'm not sure if a production company would attempt to go down this route again.

So it is possible for Dallas to return, never say never. ;) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,511
    Ive said it beofre and i will say it again

Dallas is, was and will always be

BBG
    pat D
    Linda G
    larry H
    Steve K
    ken K
    Susan H
    Howard K
    Charlene T
    Victoria P

It was that casting that made it number 1 in the world, the plots and devt of charaters and family and dynamics/relationships that captured the hearts and imagination of people.

But they did, Dallas fans left in their droves during the 3 season run, it flopped and failed

If it couldnt keep a devoted, die hard Dallas fan like me who has ate, breathed and slept Dallas since jan 12th 1980, spent a fortune on it and still collects Dallas memorabilia and buys anything Dallas related in press and magazines to this day, then its failed IMHO, and so many people who liked the original show switched off long before even the death of Larry.

TNT version - It was Larrys show, he made it, he was beguiling and i crossed to the dark side
    Bobby ewing was insufferable in this version and i became part of team hagman for the very first time
    he was the reason to watch
    Linda and Patrick had some dodgy acting and it was the LH scenes with Josh which i remember most!

12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,691
    Thankfully I can immerse myself in Lorimar Dallas anytime I feel the stench of TNT Dallas casting its dark shadow. I'll agree those later seasons of Dallas certainly were not up to standard but nothing beats the original series. TNT Dallas was woeful from beginning to end. If any NEWS arises that some network is going to resurrect Dallas I'll quickly fire off an email and say don't bother.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,371
    As long as Warner keeps the "Dallas" rights, at some point another remake, re-tooling, re-imagining or whatever of the show will be made in the near or far future. It´s just a business for them, and the TNT series was cancelled because it wasn´t a business for the new bosses (and as a proof of power from them, too). So it won´t depend on us, fans, or on the people who watched the new show. It will only depend on the potential those "mad men" up there can see for the audiences.

Secondly, I think that, if that "infamous" worldwide agreement linked to the show´s rights is undone, or cancelled, then it might happen with a certain possibility of success. Whenever you-know-who isn´t involved in it, of course...

Oh and I will keep on adding at the end of all my videos and tweets the #SaveDallas hashtag...because, what damage can it do? After all the time it took me to know what it was about...I say "#SaveDallas" to the end of times!!

And that campaign did allow people do some wonderful memes...these are my fav:

[​IMG] upload_2016-10-6_23-31-7.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    Maybe NuDynasty will revive the interest in another Dallas.
    We're practically neighbours, so we're here to help (eventhough the comments on Dynasty have never been that complimentary).

:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,271
    Personally, I'm not interested in saving Dallas that was on TNT because it wasn't really Dallas, it was another show with the Dallas name that ruined my memory of the original. As far as the #SaveDallas campaign goes, this gif sums up my sentiments:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +434
    If they bring Dallas back. it's better to do a re-boot and make sure that it's a good character and plot driven ensemble series and link it to what's in fashion in this day and age. That's the best way to capture the sort of spirit that made Dallas so good in its day.

The problem is that TV shows these days seem to have lost this storytelling ability over the long haul, and instead favour special effects and short term sensationalism. It seems the current generation have really short attention spans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,654
    At this point I'm not sure there'd be that much difference between a continuation and a reboot.

In a reboot they would (presumably) have the original character names but in both cases they would be essentially new characters in the present.

18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,691
    Granted. Unlike today though, when Dallas premiered in 1978 most households had 1 television and 3 commercial networks to view their favourite program. Today it's wall to wall cable, streaming services and your commercial networks desperately trying to retain their viewers. Personally I hate any type of reality based show, whether it's Keeping Up With The Kardashhounds, Cooking Shows, Big Brother, Survivor etc.

The problem I believe arises from executives thinking that all programs must be steered towards the 18-39 age demographic since their the ones with the most spending power. I don't accept that. Dallas was something unique and there are many fans around the world still kicking on from enjoying the original season (1978-1991) run. How about those same executives do something a little different; produce a program tilted towards the 50 and above age demographic. Be bold, be brave. I'm not saying just have the characters of J.R., Sue Ellen, Bobby, Cliff, Ray etc., appearing, but produce a series with adult drama. I so desperately wanted Dallas TNT to be something more; a grand family saga with its Oil Baron's Ball, Ewing Family Bar-b-Que, sweeping views of Southfork, not some pent up John Ross devouring Emma and Pamela in a threesome.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,371
    :bravo:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,982
    I must say there's something sad about Dallas...not that there was't anything to enjoy in those later seasons...but, they brought Bobby back - and for what? A year later Pam would die - it's almost ironic. The dream explanation was a big sacrifice, but was it worth it? Personally I've never had a big problem with the dream story but it's so sad because maybe it was all for nothing.
    And why did this show go on and on and on? At the end it felt like being the last person to leave the party...so sad, so tragic...so empty.

On the NuDallas show Pam will not die and Sue Ellen will stay on Southfork, fighting with her husband, the way it's supposed to be. Time will stand still at Southfork, like creatures in a snow globe.

:idea: