Who is still fighting for Dallas ... #SaveDallas #WhereAreTheEwings ?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by DALLASguy, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +768
    It's ironic how history repeats itself, Leonard Katzman screwed up Dallas the first time round & Cynthia Cidre did it the second time round. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    It's very different nowdays and I think Dallas certainly was in the wrong era of television as far as concept & execution were concerned. Take 2 huge international shows from the last few years, LOST & Game of Thrones. Not only were they dominating the international drama sales but their creators & writers took the decision to limit them and go out when they were still on top.

If Dallas were made today and took off like it did originally I seriously think the show would have ended with Season 8, or around that time.

Creators, producers & writers seem to have a better understanding of how long a shelf life a new show has nowadays - not all the time, granted, some mistakes are still made, such as Once Upon A Time which should have ended last year with a perfect ending - but the Dallas ideal repeats itself and it now ends after a dreary, unpopular season. The Walking Dead has shed millions of viewers - producers just didn't keep the drama up and yet it still airs losing more and more viewers every year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,691
    I'd like to add another creature to that mix....the viewer. We are a fickle bunch and I'm constantly amazed how millions of viewers around the world can sometimes speak as one voice when watching a TV Series. Take a recent example, Revenge. The premise was good and ratings were strong but then something odd happened along the way; Season 2. Viewers began to leave in droves and here in Australia the network junked it to late, late night viewing. I was one viewer who didn't return after the nonsense crept in during that second season.

Willie sums it up perfectly when best describing a saga like Dallas. It's a story that will never die. Okay, so I despised Cynthia's vision of Dallas but others appeared to enjoy the fast-paced, coke snorting nanny and threesome trickery. Others, like me, yearn for the day of character driven story-telling and it's Dallas which so beautifully lends itself to this. There is something about the Ewing family that links us, whether old time fans or new. This filthy rich Texas family somehow became part of our DNA.

I don't buy the argument Dallas belongs in the 80's. The fashion certainly does because...well...it was the 80's...but Dallas and the Ewing family can easily be resurrected at any time. It just needs a showrunner who has a love for their craft but more importantly, an appreciation of the history that is Dallas and how to best present that history in today's fickle market.

Good luck with that.

flat,800x800,070,f.u8.jpg

4. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,511
    I would say that Dallas does belong in the 80s and IMHO the Ewing family cant be resurrected at any time :sorry: - as it was the ensemble casting that made Dallas - they got it so right first time round, so many cast members have passed away that were essential to Dallas and none bigger than Larry and JR. And even he couldnt save TNT.

Most people know I thought TNT Dallas sucked big time but it was Hagman who was the man to watch and made it slightly more palatable than it was, he stole the show and when he died it was dire, embarrassing, awful and so were the storylines and newbie cast, it certainly wasnt a Dallas I recognised at all - and if it couldnt appeal to a die hard Dallas fan like me, then it was doomed.

5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +636
    Revenge is a fantastic example of a Network not doing what a creator wants. Mike Kelley created what can only be described as appointment TV and wanted it to be 2 seasons and out. ABC saw the hype and ratings climb and changed it's direction almost 360 degrees, so Mike Kelley left and the show sank lower and lower.

To be fair, after a disastrous Season 2, Season 3 picked up the pace again - the problem was they decided to turn the series on it's head for the end of season cliffhanger and so the 4th and final season crawled to an end.

I would have loved to have seen Mike Kelley's original vision but TV execs always think they know best. It also happened to Kenneth Johnson when he created "V", which took the world by storm in 1983...but the network, NBC, during the 2nd mini series (Final Battle) followed their own ideas and not that of the creator - so Kenneth Johnson left, the mini series flopped and NBC then flogged us "V The Series" which really was utterly ridiculous and the show was therefore cancelled.

When will execs start listening to the people who create these shows...they created the characters and drama which made their ideas a huge success, so why they feel the need to interfere is beyond me.

6. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,222
    I gave it up, and like Patrick Duffy said. Dallas is not coming back. :(

But like Patrick said, i also hoped that Dallas would have stay another 2-3 yeas longer on tv, but it didn't, now they left us with a open end, did Christopher survived the explosion or not, well i guess like mother like son. ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,691
    Whether intentional or not it's ironic that's how TNT Dallas ended, much like how many view Lorimar Dallas when Pam slams into the tanker...Dallas went up in flames after her exit. It was as if the ghost of Pam had reached out from the other side and infiltrated the writers sub-conscious when they scrambled to come up with a doozy of a cliffhanger.

Dallas opens with Pamela Ewing, Dallas ends with Christopher Ewing....fitting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,206
    Girl no.

Dallas is dead. D-E-A-D. Can we get past it? Dead. Dunzo. It's finished.

9. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,371
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    upload_2018-3-18_19-56-6.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,449
    Buffy! :D

I remember how Joss Whedon kept saying in interviews at the time that Buffy's come back would be dealt with and that there would be "no Patrick Duffy in the shower" or something to that effect. Buffy had really died.

Well by comparing Buffy to Dallas he did himself a disservice IMHO since I began to compare the shows and that's when I realized that I loved Dallas more than Buffy. I found the way Bobby died and the dream resolution better than the whole sci-fi stuff they had happening on Buffy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Dead yes!

But finished, we'll just have to wait & see! ;) :)

• Like Like x 1