Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? to return this year with Jeremy Clarkson as host.

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Swami, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Jeremy Clarkson to host Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
    Updated / Friday, 9 Mar 2018 00:01

[​IMG]
    Jeremy Clarkson

Jeremy Clarkson is set to host the new series of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? when it returns to TV screens later this year.

The former Top Gear host will step into Chris Tarrant's shoes when the quiz show celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, with seven new episodes to air over the course of one week.

Clarkson said of his new presenting job, "I have always loved the show and am thrilled to be involved with its rebirth.

"I'm a big fan of quiz shows and I'm looking forward to hosting this iconic TV show and hopefully making a few millionaires!"

[​IMG]
    Chris Tarrant hosted the quiz show for 15 years
    The popular ITV game show debuted in September 1998 and went on to become one of the most popular TV formats across the world, spawning versions in countries including America, India, Australia, Japan and Russia, and it also inspired Danny Boyle's Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire.

The programme saw members of the public tasked with answering increasingly difficult questions in order to win as much money as possible, up to a million pounds.

Each hopeful millionaire would be given three lifelines to help them answer tricky questions - phone a friend, ask the audience and the 50/50 option.

After 15 years as the host, Tarrant made the decision to leave, and the final episode aired in February 2014.

[​IMG]

He said in October 2013 that the show had been a huge part of his life and he had "loved every minute of it" but that it was time for him to move on.

He said: "I am privileged to have been a part of it but do now feel that it is time for me to call it a day.

"I've worked ridiculously hard these last few years and to quote myself, 'It's time to take a break'."

Two years later, Tarrant ruled out returning to the programme if it was to ever make a comeback.

He said: "All shows tend to get brought back eventually and they might well bring it back, but it will be with a different host - I wouldn't want to do it.

"Been there, done that."

The new episodes, which are set to air later this spring, will include a number of new twists and turns for audiences to look forward to, ITV has said.

ITV's head of entertainment Siobhan Greene said: "It felt like a no-brainer to celebrate the show that was a trailblazer of its time and broke the mould.

"In doing this one-off special week, I hope Millionaire will be introduced to a whole new generation. And with TV legend Jeremy Clarkson asking the questions, frankly anything could happen. I can't wait."

Swami

2. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +633
    This is such an odd decision - Jeremy is very much a marmite presenter, you either love him or hate him. But because it's only for 7 shows to celebrate the 20th anniversary it's also very odd that Chris didn't return.

I think the show worked much better as event TV, when they went to weekly series it didn't have the same impact as stripped across 7 nights.

It's an OK show, but for me, I hate shows that drag out the game - WWTOAM has far too many pauses and stop starts to really be enjoyable - add ads into the mix and instead of 2 or 3 people sitting in the chair they get through 1 and a bit - any tenseness vaporizes and in the end the audience stops caring.

And as much as I love Jeremy I think he's the wrong host for this kind of show - but hey, they've obviously tried him out haven't they....haven't they?

3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,444
    If I'm at a loss at 10pm, it's comforting to know that I can switch Challenge on and watch an episode of Millionaire. I go through phases of watching it over several nights and that'll be my fix for several months. Just this week I've been through one of my Millionaire phases. It's one of just a handful of game shows I enjoy.

Chris Tarrant is a big part of the draw when I watch. He just does his Chris Tarrant thing and it's enough to carry the formula of the show. There are probably a number of other presenters who could draw me in to watch a new version. Clarkson isn't one of them.

I understand Tarrant has had his problems in recent years, but he doesn't appear to be a malicious person. Clarkson's record, on the other hand, suggests he's quite an unpleasant human being. Certainly not someone I'd feel comfortable watching in any capacity. But he has a following that will worship him no matter how he behaves, which ITV clearly recognise. They can't say they don't know what they're getting.

4. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,351
    It's a curious decision to bring it back because it's in this age of multi-channel TV and streaming services, the audience it can hope to pull will be significantly less than what it got in its heyday and there will be fewer people willing to phone in on a premium number to be on the show. The large prize money makes it an expensive show and it will be difficult to cover its costs with the advertising revenue it can hope to attract.

I predict it will be a complete flop and ITV will not commission any further shows after the limited run for the revival.

5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +633
    ITV will probably scrap it citing the audience didn't like Jeremy - whereas it will be precisely for the reasons you state, just far to expensive and not enough viewers.

6. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    The thing that concerns me is that for all Jeremy Clarkson's talents, I'm not sure he is the right man for this in that apart for chairing Have I Got News For You, he hasn't really done anything like this before. Plus there is always the risk when you bring a successful format back, some time after its last airing, that it will not be as successful. I can't see them getting the viewing figures during the first run.

Swami

7. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    I think most people would associate the show with Chris Tarrant as presenter, and he would have been my 1st choice for a ltd number of episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +736
    I won't be watching it as I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson.

He's just a pompous, self important waste of space! :(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    Top Gear is but a pale shadow without Clarkson & co, no chemistry at all between Matt Leblanc and the others.

Swami