Who would have been a good producer and writer for Nu Dallas

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Elizabeth Ewins, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I was wondering if Samuel Fellows would have been a good writer and producer for Nu Dallas. I really loved how he made such marvelous charactors and storylines on Downton Abbey. I don't know who wrote Guiding Light or upstairs downstairs. Who do you think would have been good a good writer and producer?

2. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Medals:
    Beau Willimon. While TNT problem wouldn’t have considered him for 2012 as he didn’t receive huge praise until 2013 with House of Cards, I think he’d have been the right man for the next step in Dallas, if he also hired a few fans as consultants much like other shows hire content experts. A fan with a through knowledge of the show and all it’s pieces. Another with passion for the show but also knowledge of Giant, Cat on A Hot Tin Roof, and other fictions as well as the Getty’s, the Hunts, maybe the Fords And Rockefeller’s and other non-fiction. And a third fan with knowledge of the oil industry, technology, history and geology, etc. Take what Willimom did with American politics and apply it to business and you’d have an updated Dallas. The consultants would keep the history and the family and the romance alive. Willimon would show us JR in Jock’s role as head of the family.

3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +4,760
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Cidre´s partner "in crime" Robert Rovner is doing a great job nowadays on CW with "Supergirl". Maybe they just had to kick Cidre out and put him as the only showrunner? Not because he had a wonderful history: most of his shows were short-lived, and then "Blood & Oil" too, though he wasn´t fired as was Cidre (who kept the name in the titles...shame shame shame!).

4. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +8,873
    Medals:
    David Jacobs. I know he's more or less retired these days but he did show some interest in the new Dallas in a consulting capacity. I think it was a mistake to exclude him since I bet if he had been the showrunner the new Dallas would still have been on the air since he knew how to create characters that were multifacitated and that had enough conflicts between them to keep the drama going for ages!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,760
    Medals:
    I agree with you Karin! Besides he would have given Val the time she deserved instead of that horrendous out-of-character cameo!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,338
    Medals:
    I agree that he should have been included as a consultant but it would have been impractical for him to be the full time showrunner.
    Good point.

7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,049
    I would like to know David's thoughts on Gary and Valene's appearance on TNT Dallas. After the death and resurrection of Bobby Ewing didn't Knots Landing distance itself from Dallas? Did Knots ever speak of Bobby Ewing again after his spin in the shower?

David did hint he was prepared to offer any assistance regarding the Dallas continuation, going so far as to say he would have preferred John Ross the good guy and Christopher the bad seed. Of course David was ignored. I also remember he was treated badly by the newbies because they didn't wish for his name to be associated with the continuation at all. The union had to step in just so we could see "Created by David Jacobs" in the opening credits, followed closely by "Developed by Cynthia Cidre".

That's a pretty low act and reinforces my view the newbies were out of touch already.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    It is a low act and they were badly out of touch. There's another reason they may have done that though. They were as greedy as they were out of touch and since they expected their show to be a big success, they didn't want to share the credit for that success with David Jacobs or anyone else. Of course they ended up with a failure of a show which was cancelled after roughly the number of episodes in one season of original Dallas. When that happened I'm sure they would have loved to have had David Jacobs or anyone else to take the blame for what they did but by not including him or anyone else they'd made that impossible. Cynthia Cidre got her pink slip and she sure did earn it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    enjoying life
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Medals:
    David Paulsen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,760
    Medals:
    Actually there is no need to be excited (in any sense at all), but I have just read that TNT has been bought by the same company that owns HBO. I´ve had a little excitement inside my fan-brain only for figuring out that some executive at HBO might have the idea of making a 2-hour movie to give closure to TNT "Dallas" as they are doing with "Deadwood". All is gone now but it was good while it lasted.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1