1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

Why did DYNASTY need to be saved in season 6 but not season 7?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,621
    Medals:
    I think the fact that A love remembered did well in the ratings proves that they should have kept building on it with Blake and Alexis possibly getting back together. It would have changed the dynamics of the show and made it feel fresh again. But JF was opposed this storyline and insisted blake should remain faithful to krystle.*sigh*

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have read about ABC doing audience research on dynasty and then they sent the info to dynasty people. I think it was from a TV guide article posted on the site in picture form. I was trying to do a search but the pictures won’t show up. It was definitely season 6 that had the panic and Christmas meeting that was caused partially by the focus group which was euphamistically called audience research!

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,182
    Medals:
    But it's not people cheating which makes a show work or not work.

DYNASTY's endless and unrelenting vibe of dumbness from Season 3 onward, climaxing somehow with the last half of Season 7, can't be corrected by an infidelity plotline.

That said, I've always thought Alexis should have taunted Krystle with the intimation that Alexis and Blake got in on in Singapore, leading Krystle to nip into the family chianti. Could the brass have gotten Joan to do a scene where she insisted to Blake she was pregnant?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:

The difference between Seasons 06 and 07....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,859
    Medals:
    Thank god they never recast Sammy Jo. That would have been UNacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    Sammy Jo beat up Amanda, Heather Locklear just beats up boyfriends and her mom.....

(snap!)

7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,013
    Medals:
    Please, Amanda was winning that fight. Course once Cellini became involved, the fight seemed to end a draw. Too bad, I would have loved seeing the fight from start to finish in the S7 premiere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    The only way to redeem 7B was for Joel to come out of the woodwork with Oxenberg and explain he had kidnapped her for ransom and replaced her with Cellini. Or, if they were really going for a Golden Globe, have Elena be the mastermind behind Joel's plan. Of course all that would have happened after Cellini had drowned in the lake and we all thought Amanda was dead.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    Here's how I would 'save' season 7:

I would reveal that Claudia survived the La Mirage fire and the body Adam identified was another woman who had stolen Claudia's ring on the day of the fire, Claudia would exact her revenge on Adam by hiring a man pretending to be the real Adam Carrington.

Meanwhile, regardless on whether Oxenberg or Cellini was playing Amanda, I would still keep her around, but would axe Michael Culhane since he was pretty much redundant, I would reignite the
    Amanda/Clay/Sammy Jo love triangle.

Due to JF's reluctance to have Blake cheat on Krystle, I would just have him and Alexis form a very close friendship post Love Remembered episodes, they would even consider merging the two companies into one mega company: ColbyDenver, Krystle would become envious as Alexis keeps implying that there's more to her and Blake's new found friendship.

Meanwhile Dominique decides to relocate to California over to The Colby's (In a ditch effort to save the show) after a failed fling with Dex who is drawn to Caress, as they investigate Ben.

Ben, taking advantage of the fact that Alexis and Blake are getting closer, befriends Krystle, slowly isolating her from the family.....

Dex and Caress head to Australia to see Caress's daughter; Pearl (played by a PSM lookalike) whose father is none other than Ben, she informs them that Ben is deeply involved with communist parties in Latin America in the 60s and had hired several of Blake's enemies in recent years.

Steven meets a guy who has HIV (this would replace the Krystina heart storyline) and Krystle would be stalked by a woman named Sarah Curtis for 4 episodes, Sarah is a lesbian in love with Krystle,
    Sarah kidnaps her but Ben rescues her, cementing her trust in Ben since Blake seemingly did nothing to keep Krystle safe.

Claudia is going mad again, she keeps seeing "visions" of her late Husband; Matthew, she tries to warn the Carrington's who all dismiss her.

At the end of the season, Adam and Dana have their wedding in the Rocky Mountains, Alexis, Amanda and Clay are late but their car is shot at, and they crash off the road: Alexis and Amanda appear to be okay but Clay is out cold, the wedding lodge begins to shake, Krystle is tied up in a room having discovered Ben's plot, his right hand man is said to be "some one who was in love with Mrs Carrington many years ago who isn't really dead" who joined up with Ben.

The avalanche sends the lodge down the mountain as Amanda and Alexis look on from a safe distance in horror.....

Season 8 will be next....

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,182
    Medals:
    I want Sarah to have attempted suicide in those Carrington garages we saw so much of in S1 and S2, and it would remind the press (thanks to some nudging by Alexis' tabloid behind the scenes) of the girl who'd died of a drug overdose in the garage guest room in 1964 just after Blake's separation, the girl having been a Marilyn Monroe-type starlet Blake had briefly dated, Blake feeling sorry for the troubled creature and who'd allowed her to stay there for a time.

Tongues wagged of "foul play" after her death.

Emily Fallmont could then confess to Blake at Adam and Dana's reception at the Skycrest Lodge on the crater lake just below the summit of Scorpio Peak (which Blake had purchased a year earlier and made part of the estate) that the starlet had also been having an affair with Senator Fallmont, her husband. Emily arrived at the guest house late one night with the starlet's physician, demanded the girl leave Denver, and had the doctor deliver a syringe of something once the girl became hysterical, Emily and the doctor then escaping into the night, leaving the poor distraught thing to overdose as she had been popping sedatives all day prior to the arrival of Emily and Dr. Feelgood.

Once the planned season ending earthquake occurs, most of the Fallmonts would be killed when the lodge goes cascading down the mountain.

Would that make the Sarah Curtis and the depressed Fallmonts' plotlines just a teensy bit more interesting?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    I cannot speak regarding Falcon Crest because I lost interest after the third or fourth season but Dallas and Dynasty had pushed the patience of their viewers. Sure the die-hards (like myself with Dallas) will hang around till the torturous end but I need to know there is a believability in what the writers are expecting me to digest. Dallas tested this patience with the Dream Resolution and Dynasty did it with the Moldavian Massacre resolution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,260
    I am with you on Falcon Crest. I actually (looking at the summaries) realize that I either watched five or six seasons, but somehow in my mind I keep thinking I saw three--probably because the others were such a mess.
    But DALLAS and DYNASTY did not die the same way--DALLAS had a good run, and even by the time of the dream it had over 9 solid years. DYNASTY was already a hot mess by the time Peter de Vilbis was snorting talcum powder and Tracy was stupid enough to carry a framed picture of her and a former affair all the way to China.

• Like Like x 1