1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did Gary really Marry Abby?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Natalia Patterson, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I don't think that Gary wanted to Marry Abby. He married her so that he wouldn't keep hurting Val. He knew that as long as she thought there was hope that she would never move on.

I think that maybe one of the most unselfish things that he has done. Although, Gary lived most of his life through Guilt. He thought about some one else. I think that is commendable.

They didn't anticipate that later there would be 2 bundles of joy to link them back together.

True love..:hug:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff

Iwannamarrybobbyandcliff Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I think that he did love Abby. Look at how devastated he was when she was kidnapped and he thought he lost her. Likewise when Abby thought he was dead, she was completely broken up. Another reason that he married Abby was to make Brian and Olivia happy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Natalia Patterson

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I can agree that he did love her in his own way. However, he did not trust her. So, there were limits on his love for her. There are all different ways of loving someone. The kind of love that he had for Val was unconditional.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,965
    Medals:
    No idea. Horrid woman.:brick:

5. Abbylexis

Abbylexis Soap Chat Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I think a lot of their relationships post season 5 was storyline driven. By the end of season 5, it was obvious that Gary could not love Abby, why would he after what she had done to him. but they need to keep them married for the twins' storylines to work. I always felt that they kept them married to make the storyline effective and to create more conflicts.

Even the excuse that Abby was worried about the twins' inheritance seemed a bit off, considering that Gary had another kid, had already faked his death and this never threatned Abby's financial position. But given that they had to rewrite the storyline to make it that Abby was not guilty, it came off a bit poor in the execution. The more logical explanation would have been that Abby wanted the kids away because she was afraid that this could have been a way for Gary and Val to get back together, but the inheritance explanation was bogus.

There is an interesting scene in episode 128 (Season 6) when Ruth tells Abby that her marriage to Gary has run its course, this was before their break up in season 7 but very effective.

If Abby did love Gary why would she hire someone to make him look crazy and anticipate her divorce, this is why her scenes in episode 98 during his fake death with St Claire does not make sense. She tells St Claire that all she did was for her and not to hurt Gary, yet 4 episodes later she was glady telling her plans to destroy Gary through Cathy.

6. Natalia Patterson

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Exactly. Gary always knew where he stood with Val. Although she was being a little deceitful by not telling him he was the father of the twins. I do understand why. Abby waneed power period. She would do anything to get and keep it. I love that in the end they made her temporarily have live with Karen. That was a true example of real life circumstances. The same people that you crappie on . You will have some how some day need them.

Gary needed Abby to gain stength and deal with his in adeqacies. He needed to be needed. She was fun, exciting and unpredictable. However, her selfishness would not allow her to give him the nurturing love that he yearned for. Abby was a temporary fix.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +359
    He was an idiot. I'd have taken Joan Van Ark over Donna Mills in a heartbeat. Loved her eyes.

• Like Like x 2