1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't Lucy attend Val's Funeral?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Natalia Patterson, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Natalia Patterson

Natalia Patterson Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    This would have been a perfect opportunity for Lucy to re-appear. I miss Lucy. I think that she got lost in the later episodes of Dallas. After all that was her mother.

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,293
    Medals:
    I might expand on these points later, but basically:

1. The show was operating on a limited budget in season 14. The lack of money likely impacted having
    guest stars attending the funeral--not only Charlene Tilton, but Julie Harris and any number of former cast members. The lack of money even impacted the scale of the funeral entirely, as did the whole "she's not really dead" aspect (see #3)
    2. The limited budget also impacted on the time they had to tell the stories (19 episodes instead of 22). An expanded funeral and aftermath with lots of guest stars would have eaten into the time they needed to devote to other stories.
    3. Most soap fans know that when you don't find the body, the character isn't really dead. JvA had been written out but wanted to return for a Val/Gary happy ending, so the funeral wasn't turned into a weep-a-thon spectacle like Laura's death because savvy soap viewers knew it was wasted emotion on a character that would 'rise from the dead' by season's end.
    4. There is the entire "Dallas/Knots divorce" idea that supposedly occurred in the wake of Pam's Dream Season on Dallas, which basically dictated that Knots would never involve Dallas characters in Knots stories again.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Natalia Patterson

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Wow. I didn't think about all that. Thanks for great knowledge. It totally makes sense.

4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Medals:
    Ted Shackelford did an interview for knotslanding.net where he said that when Valene was killed off, he thought that she was really dead and he didn't know at the time that Joan Van Ark would be returning for the finale. And wasn't it a memorial service, not a funeral?

Lucy seemed quite happy on DALLAS during the period when her mother was missing and a media campaign was launched to find her. Heartless wretch. Their lack of regular contact was referred to on both shows.

Valene's lookalike was exploded. When Warren Fox's body was positively identified by people who knew him (one of whom had left him to die in the first place) and he had a funeral on Hollyoaks, he wasn't really dead. He was back in less than 18 months and has since returned in the shower.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Natalia Patterson

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Wow. Thanks so much for that knowledge. That makes a lot of sense.

6. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,293
    Medals:
    Technically it was a memorial service, yes--they only found Val's wedding ring and the charred remains of one of the female kidnappers in the aftermath of the car fire--but they referred to it using both terms interchangeably onscreen. In episode 330, when Karen and Mack were heading to Anne and Greg's wedding, Karen remarked that she "[felt] lost. Yesterday the funeral, today the wedding." To which Mack quipped, "I feel like this is the funeral."

As for Ted S's remarks, it may very well undermine an actor's performance if they aren't able to fully invest in the plotline they're playing. The "official" story was that Val was killed, and he had to play that--not "I think she's not really dead" the way Betsy kept insisting that Val was alive (or even how Val kept insisting the twins were alive years before). As far as Gary was concerned, his wife had been killed, and perhaps Ted saw that as a meatier acting challenge (which, I guess it is). It was circulated quite early on that season 14 would be the final season of the series, so whether or not she would be 'resurrected' to allow the happy ending for Val/Gary was totally up to the producers and the actress. The puzzling part of his comments have to do with how he (as someone very close with Joan) would have to have known about such negotiations, so I can only guess the negotiations for her return were not ironed out until well after Ted did the memorial service scenes and the season's filming had progressed further.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Natalia Patterson

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yes. now that it has been explained to me I understand. I was so emotional when I first saw the car burn. I really thought that she was dead. I cried when Karen was in the kitchen and " Damn VAL". I think that producers did a fabulous job with that story.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    Medals:
    Not knowing anything about Joan's pilot or anything else behind the scenes I never believed she was really dead. I just thought "they've identified her exactly the way Fallon was identified on Dynasty. She'll be back."

9. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,293
    Medals:
    Luckily, she didn't return with a British accent and brown hair.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,049
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    :funny: rotf

11. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    What was odd was when MAC asked Gary if HE should call Lucy and tell her about Val's 'death.'

Huh?

12. Daniel Avery

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,293
    Medals:
    Friends always volunteer to help in situations like this, or at least ask if "there's anything I can do", but Mack never met Lucy--he didn't arrive until years after Lucy had visited. But really I don't think anyone on the canvas except Gary would have had any idea where to find her! Maybe in their haste to name-check Lucy they didn't think the line through very well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,689
    Medals:
    I think he said "track down Lucy in Europe" or something like that. Obviously they didn't know exactly where she was and Mack was the investigator.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Lucy was travelling in Europe. Gary says this at some point.

15. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    No, he specifically said, "Call."

16. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Addict EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +971
    I always wondered why Lucy wasn't brought to Knots permanently, because she was hopelessly under-used on Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  17. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Medals:
    What's so odd about your next-door-neighbour and friend offering to make a difficult call for you? Especially since he previously faked your death?

I don't think that is a good enough reason to have her.

18. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    But Mack never knew Lucy. Had Karen offered, that'd make more sense.

Lucy wouldn't have worked out as a permanent KL character, but to only see her once? Weird. Rumor has it that it was all JVA's doing in keeping Tilton off the show because she didn't want anyone to think that she would be old enough to have a daughter Lucy's age.

I would have loved to have seen Lucy and Diana fight! Diana even made a smart remark to Karen about Lucy when she first met her!

• Like Like x 1
  19. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Medals:
    I don't think that Mack not knowing Lucy would have any bearing on it, if he wanted to help and is aware of Lucy's existence. When my father died, I had to phone someone I share both parents with and I couldn't get the words out . I just froze. They had to guess what I meant. I'd have preferred someone else who didn't know the person I was contacting to do that.

20. TJames03

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    Well, as I said, Karen would have been the logical choice since she (barring Val and Gary) was the only one Lucy met of the original cast that was still on the show.

• Like Like x 1