1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't Lucy attend Val's Funeral?

Discussion in 'Knots Landing' started by Natalia Patterson, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Mack doesn't have to have met Lucy to know about her. Karen was his wife, and Gary and Val were his friends and neighbours.

When Lucy did appear in Knots Landing in that Season 1 episode, she was well outside her comfort zone and it really showed. That worked well in terms of the storyline, showing how Lucy's upbringing on Southfork and the spoiled rich girl mentality that she had, had made her very different from the different outlooks of both of her parents. Gary and Val have differences in their outlooks and experiences, but they are both used to types of hardship.

Lucy would have fitted into Knots Landing a lot better in the later seasons, but Seasons 1-3 of Knots Landing (before Jock's Will and Gary coming into money), did not suit Lucy at all.

I think that's just a rumour. Val gave birth to Lucy when she was 15 or 16, so Val isn't supposed to look much older than Lucy anyway. Karen even made a joke that they looked like sisters.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,060
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Diana & smart in the same sentence? If I remember well, she said she looked like a barbie. I call that obvious, not smart!;)

3. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,382
    Medals:
    That also gets said by the man in charge of the place where Valene works in Dallas: Reunion part 1. Think he says that to Jimmy, who looks like Andy Moore from Knots Landing seasons 3 and 4.

• Like Like x 1
  4. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,382
    Medals:
    It isn't too illogical a situation for him to phone and say that he was her parents' next-door-neighbour, if it was important news that she should know.

That reminds me that someone once told me that Madison Mason's KL character's accent was supposed to be an English one. I laughed it off as ridiculous. His ways of pronouncing things were so so wrong. I still have nightmares about it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +6,060
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Lucy probably didn´t attend the funeral because she didn´t have anything black and decent to wear...Can you imagine Gary´s face if she had showed up wearing these clothes?

upload_2016-10-16_17-8-0.jpeg [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. micmic

micmic Soap Chat Active Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +363
    I completely agree with TJames. This is the kind of sloppy writing where writers just don't know the show well enough and come up with things that don't make sense or never happened (e.g. the mexican family on Dallas).

How would this phone conversation go exactly?
    "Hi Lucy, my name is Mack. You don't really know me but I married one of your mom's neighbours. No, not the school teacher with the hot cheating husband, the other one. Yes, he drove his car off a cliff... Terrible... Anyways, just wanted to tell you we think your mom is dead"

And the reason Lucy didn't show up for the funeral, is the same reason why Annie never showed up for Sid's funeral or why Gary and Val weren't invited to John Ross's Wedding -- because IT'S A TV SHOW.
    people have their own schedules and payment requests.
    Just to clarify, according to rumors on the Dallas set, the pay Charlene Tilton and Steve Kanaley got for guest starring in that wedding episode was around $30-40K for half a day's work. Far from what Knots could afford on season 14, especially considering the cuts the cast had to take

• Like Like x 2
  7. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 10 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +964
    Medals:
    Mack could have also said, "Oh, and that redheaded neighbor you briefly spoke to named Laura, she dead, too. Bummer, huh?"

• Like Like x 2
  8. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Plus, he and Karen had a regular Friday night habit of watching episodes of DALLAS, so he was in the loop.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I certainly know what mine is now. Thank you for that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator EXP: 20 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +6,305
    Medals:
    It would have been humiliating, since she and Paige would have been wearing the same outfit. :eck:

• Like Like x 2
  11. J. R.'s Piece

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,382
    Medals:
    Ever since Karen was mentioned by both Gary and JR in Dallas: No More Mister Nice Guy - part two?
    Well, I think he'd have put it a lot less subtly than that. I actually had to break the news of death by telephone to the son of one of my father's friends recently. I hadn't met that person previously.

I dunno. I was the only sibling present at my shortest known sister's wedding and I did a runner from the reception. There was sibling feuding even on the morning of the wedding. While my auntie banned four of her eleven children (my matrilateral ortho-cousins) from attending her funeral. One turned up and was ejected, in accordance with her wishes. One of my own half-siblings was banned from that occasion.

Was it a bit tricky for them when they were in New Beginnings, which aired right after Dallas: Jock's Will?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1