Why didn't they make Pam pregnant?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Grangehill1, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Grangehill1

Grangehill1 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18
    During the dream season when everyone thought Bobby really was gone - did the writers miss a trick by not making Pam pregnant?

After Bobby's been buried Pam finds out despite the fact she didn't think she could have children, she's pregnant with Bobby's child. She goes through the season trying to keep the identity of the father a secret.

This would have kept Bobby's memory more alive in the latter half of the season.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,139
    I like the idea of Pam having Bobby's baby when Bobby was gone. It would have been great drama.

Also if that had been the case we hopefully wouldn't have gotten the boring Pam gets back together with Mark Graison like five minutes after Bobby's been buried storyline that they gave us! :re:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I like the idea of Pam being pregnant with Bobby’s child during the dream season. How would Jenna have reacted to that? And as long as Pam refrained from falling out of barn lofts and off of horses, she would have carried the baby to term and given birth too. Despite doctors telling her in the past that she would always miscarry (utter bunk IMO) she would have that child this time for dramatic purposes because Bobby was dead.

Then again...how do you undo that after the dream season?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +448
    I think it could have worked as it was all a dream, they had Donna's pregnancy take a different turn to how it did post-dream. I think it may have been perceived as silly retconning if it happened without any proper explanation though, just like her conversation with Bobby moments before her crash the next season, they threw one sentence into her dialogue that had no build up and therefore had much less emphasis than if it had been signposted all season and then finally she got the good news and was able to deliver it to Bobby.

I think any dream pregnancy would have made more sense post-dream, what I mean by that is she dreamt some crazy stuff so it wouldn't have been at all implausible that she'd also dream a pregnancy, it's not like she didn't want it.

Thinking about it though, they could have run the risk of being corny and confusing like Bobby's dreams (or thoughts?) were after April's death. There was so little explanation for that and it just disappeared one day. Nobody ever addressed that he was imagining a life with April.

5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I don't think it was necessary. She already had Christopher and, as @Rove has argued, they should have made much more of Pam's control of his interest in Ewing Oil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Pam really hated conflict. She helped Miss Ellie try to break Jock's will and then after failing that she left Bobby because she couldn't take the tension that the contest for Ewing Oil created by Jock's will caused. She wasn't even a participant in the contest. It's not as if she were working at Ewing Oil. Just being married to Bobby while the contest was going was too much stress for her. Can you imagine her dealing with the stress of working with JR every day? She would have hated it and what would have been the point? To lend her expertise in the oil business to JR? She couldn't have Cliff join her at Ewing Oil because that would have re-ignited the Barnes-Ewing feud which she was trying to stop.

Pam hated the Barrnes-Ewing feud and the stress it caused. She wanted to live a peaceful, enjoyable life. Working at Ewing Oil would have been about the worst way Pam could have gone about seeking a peaceful life. She did the right thing when she sold Christopher's share of Ewing Oil to JR. Christopher was financially set for life with the money from that sale and it allowed Pam to have the freedom to do something she would enjoy. It was an intelligent move on her part to sell and thereby create more separation between the Barnes and Ewing families rather than perpetuate the feud.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    Pam got pregnant a couple of times, I guess they changed their minds after she lost the baby.

Besides I loved the whole storyline involving the history of how Bobby got Christopher.

I loved that little boy. Shame on Cidre trying to kill the character off in the lame Cyntax Dallas continuation, she really hadn't got a clue what the Dallas fans liked did she? :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,453
    As nice it was that Pam got Christopher, it still made me sad that she never got to have a biological child. Each time I thought it would happen, it would all just get ruined by falling off a hayloft or a horse. The worst part was the very end right before Pam's car explosion when she called Bobby and told him that the doctor said she could carry a child again, and then BOOM! It was like the show was doing everything it could to tell her "no". And don't even get me started on what happened to Christopher in Cidre Dallas! It all just wasn't fair.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    I did bring this up in another thread except I would have had both Jenna and Pam pregnant, just to ratchet up the drama even more.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    Soaps really have to be careful to avoid Excessive Pregnancy Syndrome. It's so often fatal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,637
    After Bobby "died" there was nothing for Jenna to do other than spend the entire series mooching around and being even more annoying while she mourned Bobby. Had Pam become pregnant Jenna couldn't have held on to that storyline of believing she was Bobby one true love and maybe we might have been spared Priscilla trying to act that out convincingly.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    Jenna went cuckoo in the dream season!

Visiting Bobby's grave, pouting & whining about Bobby being dead etc.

She really did my head in in season ten after the reset when Patrick Duffy returned & Bobby wanted back with Pam, his only true love. She spent that entire season whining & moaning! They should've killed the character off instead of pairing her with Ray. They were never believable as a couple anyway! :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    I'm not saying that they were good together but it was believable that they would wind up together. I've known couples who had been friends and when one of each couple died the survivors got together. Loneliness and familiarity. Pam and Bobby weren't dead (at least in this reality) but they were lost to Ray and Jenna and they had that in common.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    “Woman has baby” isn’t necessarily very interesting. It’s nice, but you need a complicating factor. Jenna had that in Season 9 cos Bobby and Pam (and Ray and Donna). I’m not sure Pam having a baby while grieving for Bobby in Season 8 adds much to what was already there - except a baby.

15. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,287
    I prefer the idea of Pam being pregnant when she crashes into that truck, so Bobby has two things to mourn simultaneously. And it maintains the Pam's Doomed Fetus theme we all enjoy so much.

16. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    What would've made it better was having Jenna admit she wasn't sure who the father of her baby was, Bobby or because Naldo raped her maybe it was his?

In fact, I would have had Naldo as the Father of Jenna's baby but her keeping it secret! And Bobby the father of Pam's baby. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,139
    Well I don't think the Naldo being the father of Jenna's baby would have worked since Jenna was arrested in like January and then sent to jail in march and not released until in may. At least if we go after the broadcast dates of those episodes.

Of course since it was the dream season afterwards Jenna ended up giving birth to Bobby's baby like 2 years after we last saw them together. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    Rewatching Lorimar Dallas just makes it more painful to watch knowing that Christopher will be dead 30 odd years later. I've not long finished watching the season where Bobby manages to get Christopher off Faraday and brings him home to Southfork to meet his true daddy J.R., only for Pam to believe the child is for her.

Every scene from this point on involving Christopher just triggers sadness and the stupid decision Cidre made to kill him off....unforgivable.

And that's what we're left with after 40 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,563
    Christopher is not dead to me until I see it confirmed onscreen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,139
    I agree if there's ever a Dallas reunion movie or a mini tv-series to wrap up the mess Dallas TNT left us with I want Christopher to be a part of it! :)

• Agree Agree x 2