1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Flamingo Road Why didn't this show succeed?

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ClassyCo, Sep 14, 2016.

1. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    I recollect my mother and grandmother telling me that they both loved Flamingo Road when it was on, and that they were both devastated when it was canceled.

Why didn't this show make it?
    Bad timing?
    Bad writing or acting?
    What happened to the plans to make it a daytime serial?

And, why hasn't Morgan Fairchild ever had a major role on an on-going and popular show? No, I'm not referring to her stint as Jordan Roberts in the Tuscany Valley, because in that case she was only considered a "regular guest star", correct?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,337
    I loved Flamingo Road, I'm not sure why it was not as popular as some of the other Night Time Soaps.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Everyone I've asked seems to have the same answer, that they did love the show, but it just baffles me that it didn't succeed.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Christine

Christine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +163
    The main action was set in a brothel, maybe this is why they cancelled the show. :D

I loved the show as well, I have watched the whole series at least 3 times.

About Morgan Fairchild, good question. She's a very talented actress and beautiful, it's weird that she never got another leading role, just guest roles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +351
    The first season was excellent; the second was subpar.

6. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I've had a theory about this since the 80's. Something that links Flamingo Road and The Colbys. A series couldn't succeed in those years with adulterous male leads.
    Flamingo Road had Field Carlyle, married with Constance but having goody Lane as a lover and The Colbys had Jason, married with Sable but in love with Frankie. I personally felt Field and Jason were a pair of unfaithful hypocrites and Sable nor Constance deserved the "bitch" treatment when both women were just fighting for her marriage (or family).

• Like Like x 5
  7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Yes and for that reason, neither show had a fixed moral centre which is what I thought made them so distinctive and interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I watched and liked it. At the time, I think, the soaps were really good, Dynasty and Falcon Crest came along after and in '82, Dallas was still killing it, Dynasty and Falcon Crest were just better shows, and Flamingo Road I think never really mastered the "cliffhanger" aspect that the other shows did, and it just sort of dropped as the least interesting and involving. It was good, but it was the least one you watch in relation to the others when it was canceled.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    I'd say that Sable was fighting for a little more than her marriage, and Constance was always very unpleasant towards Lute-Mae.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soaplover

Soaplover Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I read somewhere that ratings were decent at end of the 2nd season, but that NBC wanted blockbuster ratings like Dallas did.

NBC also wasnt that big into the primetime soap, but jumped in the bandwagon because it was the in thing. Out of the three attempts (flamingo road, bare essence, and berrengers)..this one had the best chance..and it took knots landing and dynasty a little while to catch on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,110
    Apologies for dragging this thread back up months later but I have a fondness for this show. I read an interview (possibly on the Dallas or Knots fansite) with a producer on this and he said he thought one of the problems with the show was that it lacked location and that they should've tied it in with a city or the like to make it more identifiable to viewers. I quite liked the rural sweaty swampy setting as it was a change from the shiny skyscrapers we'd see in Dallas, Dynasty and later Knots. However, of all of the 80's soaps, Flamingo Road was the one whose title didn't really identify with what went on in the show. Initially, only the Weldons lived on the titular road. So it was kind of like having Melrose Place, with only Billy and Alison living there while everyone else is scattered elsewhere in LA.

In saying that, I really liked season one and found it to be quite daring in comparison to the other soaps with some of the content and themes they covered. Even though I'm not a huge fan of episodic storytelling in soaps, I still like the first year. The second season though, I found to be a real drag. Even with the arrival of David Selby, it just didn't have enough of a buzz to it to keep me watching and to this day, I still haven't completed the series. Regarding why it failed, I think it is one of those shows that would've worked better as a daytime soap or Peyton Place style series where there's multiple episodes a week. There were a lot of characters with no real connections to each other so they rarely interacted. You can get away with that on a continuing series where there are separate little pockets of friends and family but I think that there has to be a certain amount of crossing over between characters on a once a week, primetime soap. Othwerwise, it feels disjointed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    I once read that in the very early stages, Flamingo Road was supposed to have aired on CBS and was to have been a spinoff from
    Knots Landing featuring the long lost Fairgate's; Sid's daughter from his first marriage; Annie, and Paul, Sid's nephew from his and Abby's other brother, born Annie and Paul appeared briefly in KL's first season.

The plan was that Flamingo Road was also to have had links to Dallas too, with a planned appearance by JR while Cliff was to have also become a regular on this show,

For some reason CBS passed on Flamingo Road, maybe it was because that a third Dallas related show was too excessive, and it didn't make sense for Cliff to have been there at all, having Annie and Paul made sense though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,110
    That's interesting. I'm kind of glad that they decided to make it standalone as it sounds like they were just trying to shoehorn characters in for the sake of having it connected to the Dallas universe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    ive' never heard of it before , didn't Joan Crawford do a film with that title i'm thinking circa (1949)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,270
    Lack of sluts!!!

No, but sometimes it became obvious - Paper Dolls was unfocused, Flamingo Road didn't get to the plot fast enough and The Colbys just came in to late. But still. Oh and NBC

Lack of Sluts!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,628
    i watched it but not on a regular basis

I always saw it as a poor mans Dallas and no one really caught my eye the way Dallas did

I did like david Selby in it, John beck and Howard Duff and thought Mark harmon was easy on the eye lol

loved the name Lute May ?? spelling - newspapers called her slutty MaY

Am i right in thinking there was something about Voodoo or witchcraft in the show relating to david selby , its been so long ago now!!??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    Newspaper or local trash rag?:cool1

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    i haven't seen those but i love David Selby he's such an underrated actor today. but than i'm a huge Dark shadows fan and i've seen some pretty bad films he's been in too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    First of all, the name was horrific, secondly, the acting was atrocious. Fairchild was the Nicolette Sheridan of the show - terrible actress that has an ego for whatever unkown reasons.

20. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    An interesting perspective on why Flamingo Road may have failed. However. How do we explain JR Ewing's shenanigans on Dallas? The character was a cad but I've always had a theory on why we fell in love with JR. Men wanted to be him, women wanted to be with him.

• Like Like x 1