1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

Flamingo Road Why didn't this show succeed?

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ClassyCo, Sep 14, 2016.

1. E-JULIAN

E-JULIAN Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Yours is a good POV Rove. I think the difference is that Field Carlisle and Jason Colby were supposed to be the "heroes" and "protagonists" but J.R, Ewing was the "antagonist" and "the bad one" (the protagonist was Bobby and he was always faithful to Pamela).
    Adulterous protagonist/hero... BAD! Adulterous antagonist/villain... GOOD!
    Flamingo Road/The Colbys... FAIL! Dallas... HIT!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  2. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    I wasted minutes of my life watching some FR on YouTube and can safely say that the reason it failed was because it was SH#T!!! Awful intro, awful title, AWFUL SHOW!

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    I agree!:gotcha:

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Dreadful show. I can't believe it made it two seasons. Makes the Colbys look like Masterpiece Theater. I think the intro cost $1 to make.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    Ah, but The Colbys was a soap masterpiece.

6. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    I am surprised that Dynasty or the Colbys didn't get Fairchild on any of their series,' especially the Colbys as that would easily fit her acting range.

7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I have to agree. For me the intro suffered greatly from an identity crisis. My initial reaction was, is this set in in the jungles of South America or the Congo. The composer begins with what sounds like conga drums to the full violin arrangement. It was all over the place. The great thing about the Dallas and Dynasty intro themes was they set the tone for the show. Dallas was big and brassy while the theme for Dynasty instilled thoughts of class and melodrama.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    I love it. It's exciting and sultry - like a black cop show on the Love Boat, and I think it fits the tone of the show.
    After all, it wasn't Dallas or Dynasty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,270
    I don't know, but I think it's a shame she never returned to the role of Jenna on Dallas. Although, I guess Jenna would've been very different if Fairchild had kept the role.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    Yes, and then there should also have been a character named Brittany Fairchild, played by Priscilla Barnes.
    [​IMG]

11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I've always thought Morgan Fairchild would have given Jenna just the right amount of bite the character and Dallas needed. And in my opinion I think Morgan Fairchild, Morgan Brittany and Victoria Principle would have played off each in such a positive way it would have lifted the show even further.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    DALLAS couldn't afford to buy so much hairspray. Apparently, Falcon Crest had a bigger budget.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    I frankly think that MF was scared sh)tless of LA Principal and that's a big factor in why she didn't return.

14. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +77
    It was a second adaptation of an old Robert Wilder ' s novel ( the first one being Crawford' movie) So maybe it remained a little bit old fashioned... Maybe the action should have been set in the 50's... ? At least nostalgia could have worked out... Anyway I enjoyed watching it as a teenager. The voodoo storyline concluding the series was really fun... Its cancellation was unfair when you compare it to other shows which didn't fare so well...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    i never wanted to be JR. granted i was a kid when the show when off the air in (1991) hell i wasn't even born yet when it aired in Spring of (1978) i wasn't born until September so there y go. anyways i can't answer for everyone on here. but i grew up not with watching Larry on Dallas like many here did for me it was I Dream of Jeannie which is a show i still love. it's cheesy as hell but i still love it. hell i watched the (1991) tv film and was pissed when Hagman didn't do it.

for me it's not about how many women he sleeps with but just maybe how far he goes to get what he wants. and since the show is just fiction we can enjoy it but sadly there are JR's out there in the real world and those are the ones we do really hate. but when i watched the 1st season as i call it it wasn't about Hagman that made me a fan or what he did in the role. it was the writing and the cast pretty much. i remember my dad watching Dallas as a kid i normally was in bed or going to bed when it was on or going upstairs to read or something. but i got Introduced to Patrick Duffy through Step By Step a show i still love. but enough about Dallas lol.

anyways there's a LOT of tv shows that i fell in love with that got Cancelled because some of them i think were ahead of their time like Kolchak: the night stalker that's a show that was cancelled too soon and the remake was actually pretty damn good too so i count that one as well.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    I want this on DVD, (with a slipcase). Maybe we should ask Shout! Factory.

17. GillesDenver

GillesDenver Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I have this series on DVD but without DVD covers. Do you know where I can find them ?

18. JeffUSA

JeffUSA Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've often wondered why Flamingo Road failed to succeed because it launched at the right time, it had a decent cast, and it was unique from Dallas and Dynasty. My assumption has always been that NBC just didn't give it enough time to develop a following. When it wasn't bringing in blockbuster ratings, perhaps the network execs thought they could do better with a different serialized show (which led to the revolving door of prime time soaps: The Yellow Rose, Bare Essence, Berrenger's). Another thing working against it could have been it's timeslot; Hart to Hart on ABC was pretty popular at the time.

It's been years (decades even) since I last watched FR, but I was very fond of the show during its initial run and even enjoyed the second season more so than the first. The cliffhanger ending was a really good one and left viewers with anticipation about what was to come. Unfortunately, we'd never know.

I've always thought that had NBC renewed it for a third season, that the show may have gained more of a audience and maybe with a little tweaking, it would have found its unique position among the other shows on the air.

Could the show work today, as a reimagined modern version, along the lines of CW Dynasty?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,541
    Maybe the third season should end the "Michael Tyrone" chapter, of course then there's still room for a surprise return, if there's a good reason or opportunity.
    But to transport him back to FR and let him do his wicked things all over again would be too repetitive.
    Constance could be season 3's main villain as she feels betrayed by her family. She discovered that she was the daughter of the woman she despised the most, even more than Lane Balou.

• Like Like x 1