1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Make The Women In Dallas Stronger?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Over the years I've posted here, I've seen posts suggesting Dallas would have been a better show if they had written the female characters in a way so that they were stronger. I don't know what the value would have been in making them even stronger than they were. People sometimes say they wish the women in Dallas had been stronger, but they never seem to indicate why that would have made the show more enjoyable for them to watch. They may think it would have made the show more interesting to watch, but I doubt it would have been.

Strength is either physical in nature or it's a strength of character. Being a strong person in the sense of being a person of strong character includes traits such as self-sufficiency, independence, good self-esteem, and good ethics.

Let's take a look at the strengths of the central female characters in the show:

Miss Ellie: She was clearly insecure when it came to her adult children. She repeatedly said "I can't lose another son"! Put it in perspective! Most parents say they've lost a child when it dies! A man in his mid-twenties deciding to move out not his own home is not "losing" a son; in fact, you should be happy for him! So you could say she was more concerned about what she wanted than what her children wanted. She told Jock to keep Bobby at Southfork, whatever it took! I guess what Bobby might like to do with his life isn't as important to Ellie as how she'd like Bobby to live his life. That's controversial at best! Then to make matters worse, she told Jock that if he failed to keep Bobby from moving away from their home, she would never forgive Jock.

Geez, that's nice! Not only does she want to keep Bobby living at Southfork whether he likes it or not, but now she's applied emotional extortion to her own husband to try to ensue she gets her way! Ellie isn't only insecure about having an adult son move into a home of his own, but she's to the point where she's absolutely neurotic about it. If Bobby decided to buy and house for Pam and him and start a family, and he did it, apparently Ellie would be inhumanly pissed off, she'd wreck her 40 plus year marriage to Jock out of the sheer frustration of not getting her way, of not being able to force Bobby to live with her and Jock for the rest of his life.

Ellie's not exactly a candidate for Mother Of The Year. What does that have to do with strength? A strong woman would have the character to realize that she should place her son's happiness above her own preference for having him continue to live with her when he's 30 years old! She must have had a lot of insecurity to not be able to handle something as routine as normal and natural as a son growing up and moving into his own house with his wife so they can start a family of her own. So yeah, Ellie lacked strength in that area, and it couldn't have been much more obvious.

Suppose Ellie were stronger and could handle Bobby moving out. Well then you lose that whole story, and that story was fascinating! That first half of season four was one of the most interesting times in the history of the show. So sure, they could have made her stronger, but why do it when you lose so much of what makes the show great? One of the most fascinating things about Dallas is they all live in the same house and because of that, you get to some them interact with each other when having drinks before dinner, at meals, and by the pool. I love the way that keeping them all in the same house allows for the exciting, dramatic interaction between the characters and I wouldn't want it any other way. Why would you not want them to all live there and have all those great scenes that were a result of them all living at Southfork?

Pam: She was quite strong and had a good strong foundation of ethics. She was disciplined and obviously considered keeping her body in top physical shape to be a principal concern. She was self-sufficient, choosing to work a job when she didn't have to just because she wanted to do something productive and know that she could make her own way in the world if she had to - that's admirable! Pam was a highly principaled young lady. If you were to compare her to a typical female character in a current TV show, I think you'd find more often than not, that Pam is a far stronger woman than they are. Pam was a woman who had so much strength in her on convictions that she was willing to marry the son of her father's most hated rival! No only that, but she moved into his home! She moved into the ranch of the family her father and brother despised. That took a lot of strength! No wonder Pam is my favorite female character in Dallas

Pam had only a couple weak spots I can recall right now. She couldn't have a baby and it drove her to a complete mental breakdown - she attempted to jump off the roof of a building - which led to spending some time in a mental institution. her other main weakness is she was flighty - she was quick to leave when faced with stress. I'm not talking about Gary type level of weakness - Pam was like Hercules compared to Gary in that regard. Nevertheless, Pam did leave Bobby three times, the last two of which resulted in divorces. You might say that wasn't weakness; it was just what she wanted to do. Except that the first time she came back after about a week and was glad to be back. She realized running away hadn't accomplished anything. The second time she actually did divorce Bobby. Still, she ultimately returned and remarried Bobby when she realized that leaving him had been a huge mistake! The third time she divorced him, I suspect she would have come back yet again and apologized for running away, but sine the actress who played Pam didn't work there anymore, that would have been difficult.

Suppose Pam had been stronger. The you lose the storylines about her needing a baby, including the excellent story that took place when Bobby brought Christopher home and Pam mistakenly assumed that he was bringing her a baby. That creating an interesting conundrum for Bobby: Was he really going to go through with raising his son's child as his own, taking his brother's right to raise his own child away from him just to placate Pam's insecurities? I tend to take a dim view of child stealing. For someone as self-righteous and sanctimonious as Bobby, I'd think it would have been a nightmare for him to go through with that and have to look at himself in the mirror every morning. If Pam were stronger, we'd have lost all that!

Sue Ellen: She's terribly weak in a lot of ways. Her ethical foundation, what her character is based upon, seems to prioritize marrying a man as of high social standing and wealth as possible and then remaining with him no matter what - even if she's miserable, so that she can continue to live the high life by sponging off of his family and using his last name as a way to increase her social standing. It's a way to seem important for a woman who has never actually done anything important.

Initially I saw a lot of value in the character of Sue Ellen. Her troubled marriage to JR created a lot of great drama. JR had clearly made a mistake in marrying her; I don't think JR was capable of marriage! JR was too undisciplined to be married. He didn't have the discipline and the moral fiber to remain faithful to his wife, so he never should have married. That's a horrible weakness on JR's part but I've never seen a post suggesting that it would have been better if JR had been stronger in the sense of having a greater ethical base and greater self-discipline. Why do you suppose that is? What is the fascination with making the women stronger as opposed to making the men stronger too, if strength is of such high importance to you? Ray had plenty of weaknesses, yet I've never seen a post that suggests they should have made Ray stronger. It's kind of odd isn't it? Cliff had more than his fair share of weaknesses, but again, I've never seen a post that suggested the show would have been made better if Cliff had been stronger.

The thing is, the great stories on Dallas were more often than not the result of a certain character's strength but of their weakness! If you make Pam stronger, maybe she never leaves Bobby, but the you lose the story of her and Bobby finally reuniting, realizing they have always loved each other and decide to marry again. What a great story! Why would you want to lose that?

Why would you want to lose the stories about Sue Ellen's battle with alcoholism and her eventual victory over it? You could say, JR isn't the only one who wasn't faithful; Sue Ellen wasn't either. Well if you make Sue Ellen of stronger moral fiber and even though she sees her husband cheating, she won't do it because she refuses to sink to his level, then you miss the great story about the question of paternity regarding John Ross and that exciting story where Cliff sued the Ewings, claiming he was the father of John Ross III. Why would you want to lose that?

All these weaknesses in character led to lots of our favorite stories of the show. The weaknesses in the characters made those storylines possible. The idea of a character being strong might seem nice, because in real life it's good to be that way, but it would have killed Dallas! Or at least the show wouldn't have been recognizable. Make everyone strong, then Digger never succumbs to alcoholism and blaming Jock for Digger's on decision to sell his third of Ewing Oil because he didn't have the strength of self-accountability to look and the mirror and say: "You f**ked yourself over"! Then there is no Barnes-Ewing feud.

While I think it's very possible to make a great show about very good, strong, self-sufficient, highly ethical people, that wasn't Dallas and the way they made the characters with those weaknesses is what made Dallas the show what it was.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    You remind me of the discussion during the original run. Two of the stronger women were Sly and Phyllis . I remember at the time, many people appreciated the show Dallas demonstrating that a secretary often did more than just type letters. Often, they were the ones who ran the nuts and bolts of the office.

In fact, the show Dallas (with Sly and Phyllis in particular) helped change the perception of "secretary" to "Administrative Assistant".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Thank you. That's my intention. I create threads to try to encourage discussions. When we get a good number of people participating in a thread, that's what the board is at it's best.

Yes they were, they were both admirable, capable women but they didn't get any storylines of their own. I guess the one where Cliff blackmailed Sly into stealing information from Ewing Oil and giving it to Cliff was when she was featured the most.

The women in Dallas were for the most part, as well as the men, were very well created characters. Creating all those compelling characters is something Dallas did very well. If Dallas had done things differently regarding how they created their main cast of characters, maybe we wouldn't still be talking about it all these years later.

As human beings, we're all very fallible. But that's alright. Nobody is perfect. It's the weaknesses of all the Dallas characters that allowed them to have vulnerabilities. That allows us to be able to relate to the characters. Being vulnerable makes it possible to create drama. It's what makes all types of art possible. Would you want to listen to music made by perfect people who have never made mistakes, never gotten hurt, never felt pain? It's our flaws that make us human.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. stevew

stevew Soap Chat TV Fanatic EXP: 8 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I think when people say strong women they mean strong in business like Alexis Colby, Abbey Ewing and Angela Channing. Each of the 3 had their own weaknesses, as you correctly note that I’d where they stories come from. But in business they broke the stereotype and could hang with the big boys. At least when I’ve discussed the idea of strong women.

5. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Having the women in Dallas all be high level businesswomen would have been very difficult to make work. Not even every man wants to be "strong in business." Running a business, or working in a high level capacity in business is something that if you want to do it, you're gonna have to be willing to make a lot of sacrifices from other areas of your life. Men who climb to the top of the business world regularly put in 70 or 80 hour weeks - that's what it takes. The rewards are so great that a lot of men would love to have the multimillion dollar salaries but they don't want the stress, the responsibility, or to have to give up so much from the other areas of their lives that they do when they put in those kinds of hours at a job. Climbing to the top, or near the top of the business world is not something someone does as a hobby or "just because it looks exciting." You have to love it to even have a chance of getting to that position.

That's why very few women are CEO's of major companies. It's not in the nature of most women to want to sacrifice family, put in the 70 or 80 hour weeks, and have to deal with the stress of constantly having to compete. Most men don't want to do it! They'd rather have a more balanced life. If most men wouldn't even want to live that way, you can imagine how few women would want to. They're interested in working, but in careers where they still have time for their families and other interests.

A few women do want that and can do it well. Dallas already had Donna, a woman who couldn't even take the time to think about having a kid until she was 40 years old because she was always so wrapped up in her career. We saw how that worked out for her - her baby had Downs Syndrome, which is statistically more likely the older the woman is, but Donna just couldn't put her career on hold, never mind that Ray would have loved to have had a family. How many more like her would you want? It's just not natural that out say, 4 or 5 lead characters who are women, that there would be more than than one with that mentality.

It's not a particularly healthy mentality for a women to have anyway. Who is gonna raise her children while she's at the office? A nanny? That's one hell of a sacrifice to make - she's not just sacrificing her enjoyment of raising her children herself, but she's sacrificing the best interests of her kids! She's depriving them of having a mother who is actually there for them so that she can run a big company. Frankly, most women are far too well adjusted to want to to do that for themselves or to want to do that to their children.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,194
    They should have just taken all the women's lines away. Paid them a day rate as an extra. Sorted.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Spare me. Alexis Carrington was utterly useless as a businesswoman and it peeves me to this day she is held up as some ground breaking, smashing the glass ceiling business type. She drifted back into Denver wearing nothing but a black and white outfit with a big hat and sunglasses only to marry filthy rich Cecil Colby on his death bed. Alexis Carrington strong in business? No. Self resilient? Yes. The writers/producers hastily wrote Alexis to be the JR equivalent....then set about destroying Blake Carrington rather than focus on building a strong company, on her merits.

...meanwhile back at Dallas.

While the focus was on the main characters of Miss Ellie, Sue Ellen, Pam and Donna I thought the characters Marilee Stone and Leslie Stewart were groundbreaking in watching strong women not afraid to mingle with the big end of town. I liked there devil-may-care attitude and wished both had become a full time members of the cast. I think the character of Leslie Stewart could have been further explored to butt heads with Jock Ewing. Here was a traditional man not accustomed to dealing with a woman in business which led to the infamous scene at Southfork when Miss Ellie walked in on Jock giving a serve to JR about a woman's place was in the bedroom.

Dallas - I believe - was in a unique position to showcase to the world change was coming and utilizing a character like Pam to venture forth in the business world made sense to me while confusing the hell out of Jock and Sue Ellen. She had this notion the matriarch-in-waiting had to attend charity functions and breed. While Pam had interests in having children she also wished to have a career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 11 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    The great thing about Leslie Stewart is she was strong enough for the writers to hold her up to show the chauvanism that was rampant in the 70's and 80's.

She was one of the few women strong enough to make sex something SHE wanted, and on her own terms. Not something she had to do in order to get ahead.

9. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I don't think there's anything Leslie Stewart wouldn't have done to get ahead. She was boasting to one of her ex-husbands about how she could marry JR and stay married to him just long enough to get a huge settlement. "Strong" isn't one of the words I'd use to describe her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    "Breed"? Who uses that word when referring to women having children? Is that a thing in Australia? I'm just asking because in The U.S. we use that word to refer to livestock when they reproduce. We don't use it for people.

11. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    You don’t have to agree, and frankly I don’t agree that any of these people are strong at business except in a world of fiction. The concept is what I meant, that of a strong women in business and in life I guess. In real life I suppose we could look at a Kathryn Graham or Mary Barra. I wasn’t commenting on the reality any of these characters are actually strong or good at business. I’m also far from an expert on Alexis, having only seen it in parts.

While the Dallas women you mention had possibilities, such were never really explored. Pam’s career prospects were never going to lead to the board room without a massive change in character. At least with Alexis we don’t have a background that says this is a total leap of faith. Pam’s background ruled out her ability to compete with JR in business where maybe not so much with Donna. But that’s my opinion. I’m sure there are lots of stories, many even true, where a person goes from no education or trading and years as a shop clerk to board room chairman and is a competitive power house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    You make good points and certainly most men wouldn’t want that, like Gary and Ray. On Dallas you has Jock and he influenced JR and Bobby as well. Sue Ellen supported JR while Pam might have pushed Bobby at first she didn’t in the long run because as you say the sacrifice was too great. So there’s just 3 out of all the men on Dallas a one women, Donna, but Donna’s role was always much smaller.

So the comparison, it seems the reason for the tread, was with the other series. Angela and Abby fit this strong women and change in society that was being seen. They had major roles. Dallas choose Donna’s role as smaller.

Frankly for the topic, I see them all, except Jock, as very weak people. Jock’s death to me represents the death of the only truly strong person regardless of gender, on the show. But it was strong in business that was titillating at the time and other shows represented that. I have Aja ways contented the mistake was not allowing the shoe to evolve past Jock’s death but devolving.

I wound have taken JR to be stronger at the death of his father and have him and Sue Ellen replace Jock and Miss Ellie, especially with BBG health issues. So then what to do for the drama. Well with Alexis, Abby and Angela I’d have picked a woman. I’d have had Bobby move to D.C. before I killed him and had Donna control his share of Ewing Oil, making very good use of her political background. Ray could take on the role of stay at home dad and Donna could claw her way into the drama of manipulation and control. If always switch from the Barnes feud to a Wendell feud and bring on a daughter for Jeremy - someone Jack falls for.

13. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Nice post @stevew. Yes, Jock's death was a huge loss for the show and as you said the only character who was "truly strong." If people didn't think that in Dallas, for the most part, the men had as many weaknesses as the women then they weren't looking hard enough. Strength is either physical or strength of character and I think we can agree to focus on the latter for the purpose of this discussion. JR had a ton of flaws in his character. Bobby had more strength of character and potential to be strong but he couldn't seem to quite commit to it. He was a dilettante who went from oil to construction to solar energy to politics, etc! He couldn't make up his mind what he wanted to do with his life. When he finally chose oil, he did well for a while but then decided he didn't have what it takes to stay in the oil business and sold Ewing Oil. Ultimately, Bobby was indecisive. Jock's request was that "nobody but a Ewing can ever own Ewing Oil" and to me, that should mean something.

Jock committed to building Ewing Oil and did a remarkable job of building a company from the ground up to an empire. His handshake was better than a contract. When he did have a character problem, cheating on Miss Ellie with Margaret Hunter during the war, he owned up to it like a man. He told Miss Ellie about it as soon he returned. Even facing death, when it looked like Tom Owens was gonna pull the trigger, Jock looked him right in the eye and said do it if you're gonna do it. Then he complimented Owens and said "You've got a lot of pride and that's all a man can take to his grave."

I like the idea of utilizing Wendell more. He was a formidable adversary and played by such a good actor. They should have moved William Smithers up to the main cast! At least they saw enough value in the character to have him keep recurring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    To me if JR was based on HL Hunt, Wendell could have been based on J. Paul Getty and they’ve have got another 8 years as a strong show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,912
    But @stevew mentioned Alexis as a strong woman primarily, not as a successful businesswoman, which she is. You hit Alexis in a fender bender, she will total your car--and more than likely, will do it with you in it. That is not like most DALLAS women who would be steamrolled by the men of the show time and again and would be hit with one revelation of extra-marital affair or bastard children after the other and still stay or go back to that man. I think Donna was the only true strong woman on that show.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    Even those with a higher education don't always have a natural flare for success. When I began my working life I started with a company based on traditional standards. If a person was successful in securing a managerial position the General Manager would have them start packing boxes. This company was built on loyalty and a steadfast attitude to producing the highest quality product. It was the GM's thoughts even he would be able to roll up his sleeves at any time and pitch in if the situation required it. He also expected this from all levels of management.

Over the years I've lost count the number of newbies - fresh out of University - who simply did not last the distance. There was an expectation on their part they had somehow did the hard yards so assumed they would walk into a position of importance and salary to match. The GM's concept was to weed out those types. In most cases people who had begun their career packing boxes and illustrated a desire to move up within the company were more successful. They understood the foundations the company was based.

It's why I think the character of Pam would have been the perfect choice for the writers to pursue her desire to have a career, alongside Bobby, at Ewing Oil. When I look at this young energetic couple it was my impression they were going to be the trailblazers of Dallas. Kind of like John F. Kennedy and his wife Jacqueline. Times were changing. Attitudes were changing. We were about to discard the hideous shades of brown of the 70's and embark on a new decade of colour and greed. Bobby was wishing to know more about Ewing Oil with the full support of Pam. It would have been a nice touch to have Pam go along for the ride. She was just as eager to learn about the oil industry and so by the time we made it to Swan Song the chess board was set.

On the flip-side you would never see this from Sue Ellen. Ever the dutiful wife with her charity work, desperately trying to squeeze out an heir and dealing with thoughts her philandering husband was planting his seeds somewhere else. It's why I never bought Sue Ellen suddenly having a business. It reeked of desperation from the writers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. stevew

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Jacquline Kennedy was a well educated blue blood - Pam was no where near her. And I’m not saying a person without an education can’t work they’re way up, but it wasn’t really within Pam’s character imo. With Pam there was a whole class issue of being taken seriously by any one in business. Her only ability for making money was to inherit money that an unrelated person made through her throughly horrible mother. IMO Sue Ellen made far more sense. She probably has a degree in art appreciation or some such from a fine school. She learned from her husband and men of means would have lined up to help her. Pam was way to simple I’m her outlook when it came business, pushing Bobby while being clueless as to the requirements of the job. Is anyone was like Jackie Kennedy it was Sue Ellen, philandering husband and all, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +242
    No doubt that JR was a crappy husband and not just on the adultery. The first episode of the series, Sue Ellen was complaining to Ellie how Jock was always on her case as to why she was not pregnant yet. It should have been JR, Sue Ellen's husband, who should have told Jock to back off.

I agree that JR was not the marrying kind and should have remained single.

Regarding Alexis on Dynasty, I always felt that her going from artist to mogul who could outdo Black was hard for me to buy.

They wrote Holly Harwood as an idiot and there were missed opportunities with Katherine Wentworth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    But couldn't this be interpreted as a strength? Lesley boasting to one of her ex-husbands she could bed, marry and extract a huge settlement out of JR shows me the fortitude in self belief.

20. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,562
    It's a play on words Kenny. This is Soapchat, don't take everything too seriously.