Why not Lucas?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by JRandSueEllenForever, Feb 6, 2018.

1. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Does anyone else find it a huge missed opportunity that the character of Lucas, the son of Bobby and Jenna, was never introduced on the show? The kind of man we all knew Bobby to be, I find it impossible to believe he had no contact with Lucas over the years, his own natural son. And I’m assuming he had no contact with him since he was never mentioned. If Ray married Jenna and adopted Lucas, neither Jenna nor Lucas were even mentioned whenever Ray returned to the ranch. Was Lucas raised to believe Ray was his real father? We’ll never know.

What I would have loved to see happen was Lucas returning to the ranch—let’s say he discovered Bobby was his natural father, and wanting his piece of the pie. Christopher was always insecure about being adopted, and the presence of Lucas as a new rival (natural son vs adopted son) would have been more than interesting, since the John Ross vs Christopher feud was predictable and tired and ran its course.

What would Lucas have been like? Angry and resentful that he wasn’t raised a Ewing, never being acknowledged by his real father? Or what if, in the wake of Christopher’s death, Bobby finally sought out Lucas and he became a new rival for John Ross.

Food for thought.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    Weren't Lucas (and Jenna?) supposed to appear in season 4?
    I don't remember exactly, because all content of the old forum is lost, but i'm quite sure i've read something like that at the time before it got cancelled. That there were plans for them to return.

3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    Would love to see Pamela Rebecca and her new surprise! boyfriend (Lucas).
    Maybe he should become a casualty of their marital battle?

And would Judith secretly financially support Lucas so he can screw over John Ross, but he's seduced by John Ross' sister - so he ends up being screwed by all of them?
    And then the season 4 cliffhanger would end with a shooting a la Falcon Crest or something.
    I know CC could have done it!

4. tommie

tommie Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,497
    I assume they wanted to establish Christopher / John Ross first at least, but I guess if it hadn't been cancelled after three seasons it's possible that he'd turn up especially with Christopher going kaboom.

5. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Yes, Christopher vs Lucas was the great missed opportunity.

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    In hindsight I'm thankful TNT Dallas never made it to Season 4. I shudder to think what horrid plot CC would have Lucas involved with - perhaps sleep with Madam Judith Ryland-Brown while she snorts a line of cocaine off his chest. And, I'm sorry to say this because I always thought she was stunning in her Lorimar Dallas days but Priscilla Presley returning to Dallas would have had me reach for the remote. It's a terrible thing that actors believe trying to halt the aging process will somehow trick the audience into thinking they've obtained that secret potion to remain forever young but just draws more attention to the work they've had done. As Pam once said to JR Ewing, "Just tell me why?"

Besides if CC had no hesitation in giving us fleeting glimpses of Ray, Lucy, Gary, Valene and others who is to say that same treatment would not have been handed out to Priscilla. Lucas on the other-hand is an interesting story just waiting to be told....and a colossal missed opportunity by those in charge. As rightly said in an earlier post;

Perhaps a more interesting tale would have John Ross and Christopher actually getting along until a stranger enters their midst. Of course I'm talking about Lucas. An intelligent young man, well travelled, is fluent in English, French and German. Placing a character like this into the Ewing world certainly would have created just the right amount of tension between, adopted son, biological son, cousin and father.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    No, it would only have been a missed opportunity if there had a been a fourth season - without Lucas.
    There was no place for another main character in those 3 seasons. Besides, Christopher's misfortune (dead or not) would have been a great timing for Lucas to return to Dallas.
    The funeral, maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    The Cider House created ANOTHER long-lost child for JR (because he didn´t have any, barely:re:) with that waitress John Ross was supposed to meet in the original cliffhanger (the one that kept Creepstopher alive), and rumors said that Lucas, Ray and PP´s Jenna also were going to appear in the future, but I´m afraid we´ll never know if those were more than rumors.

CC did write the Season 4 premiere script, which featured a time jump and flashbacks to Chris´s funeral, with John Ross and Emma being like siblings now, Elena finding out who was his baby´s father, and Bobby obsessed with revenge. Nicolás Treviño didn´t show up until Episode 3...Who knows what else she would have concocted with her infamous duck pond writers...

[​IMG]

"Murders - quack!" "Drugs - quack!" "Delicious - quack!"​

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    How many children did he have?

10. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    I've just had a bit of a giggle, out loud. We last left the Ewing family on the 22 September 2014. I wonder how things are going with JR's lost daughter? Did she settle in okay? Is she still part of the Ewing story. Did Sue Ellen visit JR's grave and exclaim her trademark, "JR you bastard!"

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    The Producers were idiots!

The first thing they should've done was get Luke on the show right back in season one of the TNT Dallas. They didn't! Cidre had her own inept agenda!

If they'd offered me 250. 000$ an episode I'd have done it. ;) :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    We don't know?

13. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,631
    I count four, same as his daddy.

14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    John Ross, James, mystery daughter and....?

15. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,631
    Cally's kid.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10,550
    Yes, that's four children.

Blake Carrington had 5, well almost 7.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If I had my druthers it would be a scheming Morgan Fairchild.

Preferably "not".

18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,194
    Was this resolved in the absolute? It's been such a long time since viewing anything post "Swan Song" that I'm beginning to forget the finer details. I do recall JR - from afar - watching Cally and the child and then just driving off. Was this ever touched on again in the Dallas Reunion Movies. I don't believe it was. Did we ever learn that James WAS the daddy?

But I thought the funniest moment was Cally showing up at JR's Memorial and neither Sue Ellen, Mandy or Cally herself had anything to say about the child. Good Lord those writers of TNT Dallas were brainless idiots. Clearly this lack of detail proves no one watched the original in its entirety. Shame on them all.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +518
    The writers & the Producers were a bunch of lame brains who had no comprehension of what made Dallas a hit.

Any Producer (Cynthia Cidre) who consults Daffy Duck for storyline ideas needs their head tested!

Is it any wonder Daffy had the good taste to shout "Kiss my little black Butt Cidre!" before joining his good friend Bugs Bunny in Albuqueque! :(

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2