Wikipedia entry about The Colbys

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Michael Torrance, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Just to be clear, I did not write this. :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_shows_considered_the_worst#Dramas_and_soap_operas

The Colbys
    Although much hyped in 1985, garnering high ratings for its premiere episode, and also the winner of a 1986 People's Choice Award for New Dramatic TV Program,[48] The Colbys was ultimately a ratings disappointment. The first season finished in 35th place, in part due to competition with NBC's Cheers and Night Court on Thursday nights[49] (by comparison, Dynasty finished in 7th place the same season). The series was renewed for a second season, but fared much worse. Now, not only being scheduled opposite NBC's Cheers and Night Court, but also rival soap Knots Landing on CBS, and later in the season, having to compete with The Cosby Show, The Colbys finished a dismal 76th for the year prompting the network to cancel the show.[50] The series did not fare well among critics either, with one of its main criticisms being that it was simply a copy of Dynasty. The L.A. Times stated "It's not a spinoff, it's a clone—as close a replica as ABC and the Dynasty producers could concoct, right down to the credits."[51] The Pittsburgh Press compared the scripts to Dick and Jane books for children.[52] In their Directory To Primetime TV Shows, television historians Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh stated that the series likely failed because it was "too close a copy" of Dynasty.[53] Even some cast members were vocal about their dissatisfaction with the series. In 1986, Barbara Stanwyck opted to end her contract and leave the series after its first season, reportedly calling it "a turkey"[54] and telling co-creator Esther Shapiro "This is the biggest pile of garbage I ever did" and that "It's one thing to know you're making a lot of money off vulgarity, but when you don't know it's vulgar - it's plain stupid."[55] On the contrary, Charlton Heston always had supported the show and stated its cancellation "was premature" as "we were coming closer to being a creative production team that could make the kind of show we'd planned on from the beginning."[56] Dynasty star Joan Collins categorically refused to make any appearances in it herself, believing it would have caused "massive confusion between the two shows",[57] and urged her fellow Dynasty castmates not to involve themselves with it either.

2. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,118
    Medals:
    Obviously Barbara Stanwyck did.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,745
    Medals:
    Thanks to my new smartphone I can take soapchat to the toilet.
    Turns out that wiki-babble can be very inspiring when I need to release myself from excessive emotional baggage, as it were.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Which I guess replaced your previous favourite release companion activity, that of throwing stones at the moon.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,745
    Medals:
    There is nothing in that description (that we already knew) that convinces me that it's one of the worst drama series.
    It was a ratings failure and I'm not going to say that originality and creativity had absolutely nothing to do with it. "Why bother?", indeed.
    It's not a show that was going to rock TV's landscape since we already had a DYNASTY - not to mention the other three biggies - but that itself doesn't make it a bad show. It was a good soap opera with some interesting alternative vibes, but you'd have to watch the episodes to realize that.

The problem is that THE COLBYS didn't offer anything - the hype/promotion notwithstanding - that would entice The Average Viewer to invest in this Dynasty Extra Time.
    Sure, the prime time soaps were very popular (or at least still popular enough) but it would require a fresh and/or extraordinary premise in order to make a difference.
    It's a niche product that mostly caters for the die-hard soap fans, and Dynasty fans in particular.
    They are the ones who can rate the quality of the show.

The fact that they were allowed to produce two full and expensive seasons close to the decline of the popularity of the lavish prime time soaps, as opposed to being cancelled after 10 or 15 episodes like some other prime time soaps that aired before or during the peak of the soap opera genre, makes me question just how big a failure it really was.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1