Wild Wild Country

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by Willie Oleson, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    Just started watching this because I find cults fascinating and the Bhagwan was hot news in Europe too, although mostly in a mocking/humorous way (as far as I recall).
    Ramses Shaffy (a prominent Dutch artist) was a Bhagwan supporter too.

I didn't know that they had build a town in the middle of American Nowhere. I also find tiny towns in the middle of nowhere very fascinating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Oh, I will definitely check this out. I still don't know the full story of his demise. I have been to one of his ashrams in Kathmandu. It was awesome actually. He had some really great active meditations and techniques. I never met him though and always had mixed feelings about him. He's kind of an enigma.

If you find cults fascinating you should also check this out on Netflix.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    How long did you stay, or was it just a visit? And did you like it?
    Oh, I didn't know it was a real place - I thought it was just a song.

I will! Ta!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    I find the construction of Rajneeshpuram very inspirational. They even had their own bank and energy and airport. And yet it was so different from everything else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    Just finished episode 3. It's so stunning, it looks like brilliant fiction.
    And the Rajhneesh discotheque is the place to be, count me in! (of course I would never bow down to another god, let alone a man).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    I think I stayed about 5 days. Yes, I loved it. It was relatively small (nothing like the main one in Pune, India) and was built on a hillside in the Kathmandu valley. It had beautiful gardens filled with flowers and butterflies and moths. The meditations were mostly active and fun, dancing, screaming, jumping, letting it all out. I felt really good while I was there.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a series. Looking forward to watching it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    To be honest I decided to watch it because I hoped to see a lot of scandalous, outrageous and wicked things.
    I had not expected to find myself so utterly conflicted, it's not at all what I thought it would be.

The first three episodes focus on the roots of the Bhagwan-Oregon conflict.
    What I saw was creative, intelligent and enthusiastic people building a paradise in a place that nobody wanted, an unfriendly environment of rocks and sand.
    A place for free love, no drugs, no crime. And a nature re-cultivated by people. They wanted nothing more (at that time) and they had no intention to disrupt the lives of the neighbour towns.

Then you have the Christian Americans who wanted them out, and then they accused the Rajhneeshees of protecting themselves from their own attacks and bigotry.
    It's just absurd, it's like saying "how dare you to protest when I'm trying to kill you".
    It also shows how corrupt and hypocrite the American (or maybe I should say Western) system is, bending and ignoring their own rules, or simply change the rules and laws whenever they see fit. That's an unfair battle, but it also challenged the Rajhneeshees to become more and more resourceful - and they were.
    It wasn't just a bunch of lazy hippies (as I thought initially, based on the little knowledge I had), no, they had the "creme de la creme", and they were extremely determined.

At the same time it really saddens me to realize that it takes a kind of worshipping to get things done the way it was done.
    Why is it that people don't want this just because they want it? We can accomplish so much, and most of that potential is wasted. And that hurts.

And yet I tend to side with the hypocrite, corrupt American system, the reason being: the right of individualism. Even if that precious right makes a lot of people very unhappy, which is the opposite state of mind of the very happy Bhagwan followers.
    Bhagwan may preach freedom for all, but if I have to bow down to him then it really isn't, imho.
    And even if they'd allow non-followers to live in their commune, that non-follower would feel completely alien and unable to fully connect with the followers, in other words: alone.

So why is it that humankind needs that external example, trigger, inspiration or whatever you like to call it.
    Why couldn't they build the pyramids just because they thought it looked kinda cool and would be good for tourism?

Anyway, it looks like the big scandal starts in episode 4. :byebye:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Just watched the first episode tonight and I am definitely enthralled. I don't know the story too well, just bits and pieces, so I'm intrigued to see how it all pans out. I've never followed one master like these people but have dipped my toe in with many spiritual disciplines and movements and I understand very well how intoxicating it is to be part of something so dynamic and so much bigger than yourself. And as much as these gurus can be charismatic and magnetic, I think it's really the group energy of so many people coming together with open hearts that lead people to have such profound experiences. More than something being emitted from any one man. But sooner or later, one way or another, the Utopian bubble always bursts. It's either destroyed, or more often than not, destroys itself.

Netflix documentaries are so well made and also it doesn't hurt to have a wealth of original footage to tell your story, which they seem to have. A very enjoyable start.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    It's a wonderful time capsule, and it shows the flaws of both sides (Sannyasins vs. Christian Americans) so they let the audience decide what to think of it.
    In a strange way I found it endearing. I didn't get to know much about Bhagwan/Osho himself, but the other people were more interesting anyway.

Netflix doesn't have the Holy Hell movie, maybe I could try the AQUARIUS series.
    I also tried "Casting JonBenet" and while I appreciate the movie's artistic approach (sort of a faux-documentary) I was too appalled by its blatant exploitation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Oh, that's where I watched it. Maybe it just doesn't have it in your country?

I enjoyed it just because it was such an original approach, I'd never seen a doc like that before. So I was quite fascinated by it. Plus I don't mind a bit of blatant exploitation.

Have you seen 'I Am Divine'? That's also on Netflix. You might enjoy that. I loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    Nope!:(

12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Seriously??? I hate the way they do that. I can't watch Dynasty CW on Netflix yet people an hours drive away in Northern Ireland can. Would it be so hard for them to have everything available for everyone?? It's racist!!! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    I think my Netflix reviews for Dynasty and American Horror Story are NOT accepted! (because I asked about FEUD?)
    This is a personal insult!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    I had no idea of the scale of the place. That it was a city they were building.

Just finished episode 2 and things are really hotting up! Even the creator of Nike is getting involved lol. The battle lines are really drawn now and I'm looking forward to finding out what goes down. I like that the documentary is really telling the story in a very balanced way and letting each side have their say. And I have to say I can understand where each side is coming from and why both feel like they're the ones who've been wronged.

Thank you for recommending this Willie. I'm really loving it. What a story!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    Sheela is such a character!:D

16. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    She's like an Indian Angela Channing! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Just finished episode 3 and actually she might be even worse than Angela Channing, there's even talk of her having people killed! This is all going to end in tears.
    And bloodshed. :popcorn:

18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Episode 4: Drama! The house of cards begins to collapse! The Bhagwan speaks!!

19. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,437
    Have you finished this yet Willie? I just watched episode 5 and will probably finish it tomorrow.

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,835
    Yes, last weekend:)