Will Dallas Ever Air On TV Again?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I know it’s very expensive for a network to get the rights to Dallas because you have to buy every season which comes to about 358 episodes. But you would think after all this time that it would have aired somewhere. I see shows like NYPD Blue, Law and Order SVU and Mash constantly get broadcast and even Dynasty had a run a couple of years ago on the POP network, but Dallas haven’t been seen since CMN aired a mini marathon at least 10 years ago.

Dallas was one of the most iconic shows of the 80’s, why no station the airs retro TV has picked it up?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I'm glad you brought this up, because it reminded me of being here several years ago when Soapnet did replay Dallas afternoons from 2003 through 2008.

Many of you remember it, and this board was HOPPING back then.

People would watch Dallas, and then come on here to talk about the day's episode, and this place was jumping.

There was a member from North Carolina who would do a daily recap and kick off the conversation by saying, "In today's episode, Jock had a heart attack and we need to talk about it."

Hell yes, we need to talk about it!

Good times. . .

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Angela Christmas

Angela Christmas Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,802
    I doubt whether to cost to the broadcast rights would be the problem as it would be much cheaper than producing a new drama or than getting the rights to many other more recent series. The issue would be whether or not Dallas would get a large enough audience to justify the financial outlay. It's 40 year old series that has been screened many times and is available on DVD so I can see TV executives thinking it wouldn't get the audience that a repeat of a show like Scandal or Suits might achieve and passing on Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    I partially disagree. When Warner Bros. decided to release Dallas on DVD here in Australia I was really excited because I had not seen the series since it's final episode aired all those years ago. I don't believe any commercial network in Australia has ever repeated the series. But then Warner Bros. stopped the release, ironically at "Swan Song." I say ironic because after this Dallas really went to garbage but I would have liked to complete the series if only because here on Soapchat I feel partially left out of conversations.

I've always been critical of those last years of Dallas but I'd still like to one day watch the entire series run. I am aware I could purchase the series online but I've read far too many negative reviews where the quality of the discs was questioned.

5. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    I think some of the satellite stations in the UK occasionally do Dallas re-runs (CBS channels), but haven't seen anything advertised recently.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Barbara Belle of The Ball

Barbara Belle of The Ball Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,788
    yes CBS Drama showed it all a few years ago

@Rove - Ive never had any probs with Dallas on DVD, the quality of the picture is different after dream season but it was the same on TV and definitely not as sharp and defined

The dream season was the last for great quality filming and Victoria P never looked so stunning x

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I think Season 9 DVD is much superior to Season 8 DVD.

My ratings for each season:

Season 1 DVD (1978): 8/10
    Season 2 DVD (1978-1979): 8/10
    Season 3 DVD (1979-1980): 9/10
    Season 4 DVD (1980-1981): 7/10
    Season 5 DVD (1981-1982): 10/10
    Season 6 DVD (1982-1983): 10/10
    Season 7 DVD (1983-1984): 8/10
    Season 8 DVD (1984-1985): 6/10
    Season 9 DVD (1985-1986): 9/10
    Season 10 DVD (1986-1987): 5/10
    Season 11 DVD (1987-1988): 4/10
    Season 12 DVD (1988-1989): 3/10
    Season 13 DVD (1989-1990): 2/10
    Season 14 DVD (1990-1991): 1/10

J.R. Returns (1996): 3/10
    War of the Ewings (1998): 1/10

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    If Warner Bros. Australia continued to release Dallas on DVD there wouldn't have been any problems, as I would have quite happily continued purchasing the seasons with the knowledge they were coming from a legitimate source. The problem I have in purchasing stock online - and I am aware sites like Amazon have it - I'm just not confident enough to go ahead and outlay money on something I don't know if it's officially licensed by Warner Bros. As far as I know someone could easily have bootlegged the originals.
    Dallas.jpg

9. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    If you buy from Amazon and even eBay you are protected against things like that. I haven't seen bootlegs of any shows on Amazon or eBay. I have on ioffer but that's different and the are clearly bootlegs.
    If you already have all of the show up until Swan Song just buy the European versions of the final seasons. You can get a region free DVD player for like £12 here, so I assume they are really cheap everywhere?

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,074
    I was a little surprised when POP showed DYNASTY a few years back--and that it is on CBS DRAMA in the UK now. These are very old shows, and unless the networks get them dirt cheap, they are not likely to bring in enough viewers to justify the expenses. And they are available on DVD for the die-hard fans as you mentioned. I think unless they do something like a DALLAS film (the characters, not the actors) and it is a hit, we won't see a renewed interest. I believe the last time interest spiked was when TNT DALLAS was around.

11. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Them airing on tv again is pointless, these shows need to be added to the streaming services. The only one available for free is Dynasty with an Amazon Prime subscription. Dallas and the first four seasons of Falcon Crest are only available if you buy each season. I think it’s a shame none of the streaming services have added the various 80s soaps despite showing so many older tv shows.

12. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +463
    @Rove I think I've said it before but I have the region 2 discs (UK) and they play perfectly fine on a region 4 player. If you buy from a reputable seller like Amazon themselves (not necessarily a private seller on Amazon) then you shouldn't have a problem. As others have said too, sites like Amazon don't generally allow bootlegs and even if you were unfortunate to receive one then you file a dispute with the site and they refund the money to your credit card and don't usually require a return of product.

13. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    I've also questioned why the streaming services have not added TV Series like Dallas, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing and others to their libraries. Not everyone is going to invest a few hundred dollars on purchasing the complete Box set and have it as part of their personal collection - only diehards will do this. If Netflix for example had the previous mentioned soaps on their service I would watch...and possibly I'd say millions around the world would to. I never stayed the distance with Dynasty or Falcon Crest and would like the opportunity to watch them from start to finish. Knots Landing I don't recall ever watching but given a chance I might enjoy it given its relationship with Dallas.

I believe there is a huge untapped market for it. Why is Warner Bros. being so arrogant about controlling ownership of Dallas? Are they requesting too much money for screening rights therefore denying everyone to revisit the series? Just seems pointless to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +642
    When TNT Dallas was axed I remember Patrick saying something along the lines of no one will pick it up because the rights are complicated & buyers have to buy it in bulk - or something to that effect. So I assume from that anyone wishing to screen Dallas - old or new - they have to buy the entire run, which isn't great if they don't know what the ratings will be. If only a few thousand watch it they have bought 14 years worth of shows for nothing.

Also, us die hard fans have the DVDs...would we rewatch with ad breaks etc or just watch our DVDs?

As for the streaming sites, I think Netflix etc, should they ever buy some of these older, classic shows, their members would absolutely increase. And not just soaps either, there are so many brilliant shows of yesteryear that would increase viewers.

Warners seem to want to keep Dallas all for themselves, they don't seem to be interested in what fans think or want which is mind numbing.

15. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    Warner is coming up with an own streaming service next year, maybe they will show Dallas and Knots.

16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,920
    But will it be available to a international market or just the good ole' U.S.A.? Warner Bros. would be doing themselves a disservice if that was the case. But if they did make available to an international audience I'd probably subscribe just to watch Dallas from beginning to end.

17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    CBS Studios own Dynasty and CBS also own a huge part of POP. Hence why they showed it.

I assume the issue is that Warner Bros doesn't really have a dedicated network to its show. CW is a combo of CBS and Warner, but they'd still have to convince affliates to show it. They also own a huge bulk of TNT, but well, they probably don't want remind their audiences of Dallas...

18. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    They still haven't released Knots Landing beyond Season 2.

19. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +584
    How is it then, that I've seen posts by people who claim to be watching or have recently watched Knots Landing and Falcon Crest in entirety? Where are these available to be seen in entirety?

20. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Reruns on CBS Drama, or old online recordings. This refers to Knots Landing Seasons 3-14, plus the 1997 Back to the Cul-de-sac.

• Thanks Thanks x 1