Will Dallas Ever Air On TV Again?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Billy Wall, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +177
    In the US, we have over-the-air, digital substations such as MeTV and Antenna TV that specialize in airing old shows. Those networks get the rights to old series for fairly cheap, since the audiences on the substations aren’t huge and the shows aren’t in demand from major network affiliates or mainstream cable stations. CBS has made deals with several of these stations to carry shows from their library (the old Paramount TV catalogue). Sony has too (they own the Screen Gems/Columbia library) and they are even an owner of one of the “diginets” (Get TV).

Warner Bros has been the slowest of the major TV studios to make its library available to these diginets. I read a story a few years ago that they were concerned about devaluing their library by making deals with these stations. Some of the Warner Bros shows have started to show up over the last few years, but not quite as much as Sony and CBS shows. It also doesn’t help that sitcoms understandably are in more demand, because they repeat better (easier for viewers to take in an episode here an there, instead of a serialized show, where they have to watch every episode to keep up).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I agree. Still waiting/hoping it pops up on Netflix one day. If they can air Law and Order and Dallas on TNT, why not the original Dallas?

3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    "Deadwood" was canceled open-ended and now it´s being given a two-hour movie to wrap things up, 10 years later. Honestly, I hope we won´t have to wait 10 years to see if the bomb killed Christopher or not...

HBO Films’ long-in-the-works Deadwood movie has begun production 12 years after the end of the premium network’s Emmy-winning Western series from David Milch. Most of that original cast is returning for the film, which takes place 10 years after the events of the series that ran three seasons from 2004-2006.

The film includes a new cast member, Jade Pettyjohn, who will play the character of Caroline. Her character info is under wraps, but the actor is next onscreen with Nicole Kidman in Karyn Kusama’s gritty cop drama Destroyer.

The plot, per HBO: The indelible characters of the series are reunited after 10 years to celebrate South Dakota’s statehood. Former rivalries are reignited, alliances are tested and old wounds are reopened, as all are left to navigate the inevitable changes that modernity and time have wrought.

Milch, the series creator, wrote the pic, which is being directed by Game of Throneshelmer Daniel Minahan. Milch, Carolyn Strauss, Minahan, Gregg Fienberg, Scott Stephens, McShane and Olyphant are executive producers.

The Deadwood series was nominated for 28 Emmys during its run, winning eight.

In July, HBO president Casey Bloys tipped an October production start for the film, and hinted at a possible spring 2019 debut. He called rustling up the original auspices for the movie “a logistical nightmare.” The network received a near-$4.2 million California Film & TV state tax credit for the production. The hardest part of getting the film up and running had been synching up the schedules of its large ensemble cast.

More here.

I wonder if post-"Dallas" TNT is being as successful as planned with all those sports broadcasts. Another of their (really interesting) shows has been axed after 2 seasons: "Good Behavior". Hopefully they will change their execs again soon...

4. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +800
    Hi mate, the dream season (9) and season ten are classic Dallas. The rot only set in after ten when Victoria Principal & Susan Howard both left.

I have all the boxsets of the show & whilst I love the earlier seasons I do have a soft spot for season thirteen. This is the one with the tanker collision in the Gulf & the Miss Ellie/Clayton Murder, She Wrote storyline. It's one of the better seasons from Dallas's later run.

Buy them all & watch them, right to the bitter end. And appreciate the lasting legacy of the continuing saga of Southfork Ranch. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I have to agree about the dream season and 86-87. They still felt like Dallas, even though I don’t care for most of the dream season stories. I only wish 86-87 had been edited on film, like the old days. It feels like Dallas, but doesn’t quite look like Dallas.

6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,028
    Cynthia did state in an interview (Dallas Decoder?) that Christopher was DEAD. She also added we were heading for a time jump between Season 3 of TNT Dallas and Season 4 as she found the resolutions of cliffhangers rather tiresome...well something to that effect. I'm assuming by scene 2 JR's illegitimate daughter complete with cracked nails, unwashed hair and wrist beads was going to make her grand appearance followed soon thereafter with Elena giving birth. All this within the first 2 minutes because as we all know...TNT Dallas was about breakneck plot driven madness.

If....IF....Dallas was ever to return as a continuation I do not want Cynthia anywhere near the series. In fact I've already made it known on this site I will send an email to someone at Warner Bros. informing them, "Why Bother? Why allow the brand Dallas to be tarnished any further."

With that in mind how do we clean up the mess Cynthia has left us with? For me I'd leave Christopher dead. I know this would upset many however in a way his death closes the chapter on our Romeo & Juliet, Bobby and Pam. I may have had issues with the circumstances of Pam's death in TNT Dallas but for most it has been dealt with and in a way this gives the character Bobby some clean air to deal with another wayward son...Lucas.

Now for the delicate bits. Since we were left with the scene of John Ross discovering he had a half sister I'd run with the character. I'm kind of conjuring up a tree hugging leftie for some odd reason and I think this would play rather well as the Ewing family has always been about stripping the land of its natural resources. I also think this secret daughter and Sue Ellen would have interesting interactions.

Now for the tough decisions. My return opening episode would be dedicated to the funeral of Cliff Barnes. After what Cynthia and her writers did to the character in TNT Dallas I'd kill him off. My continuation no longer requires the Barnes family and that includes Pamela Rebecca. I'd have the character show up at her father's funeral along with Afton but after the service they return to Europe, never to be seen again.

How do I now deal with the Ryland family. Another tough decision but Mama Ryland, her prostitutes, the son still feeding off her left breast and Emma are no longer part of my Dallas story. This was a tough one because right at that first moment when Judith said, "My son isn't home," she had me. It was a delivery worthy of any villian but the writers couldn't contain themselves and let Mama Ryland run away from themselves. So Mama Ryland, Harris and Emma are gone as I don't want any distractions from the main event.

I would however keep Ann. I like Brenda Strong and I'd build her and Bobby's relationship into a Jock, Miss Ellie type. We need a strong couple in Dallas, a partnership cemented to Southfork. It doesn't matter what is thrown at the Ewing family, either internally or externally, this couple has to be the bedrock. Also they are raising Elena's child after she dies in childbirth. Bye, bye Elena. Carmen has been fired because she kept forgetting to vacuum under Bobby's favourite armchair. This is what happens when you forget you're the hired help and not part of the family....welcome back Teresa.

There are however some things I would correct from TNT Dallas. No way in hell is Katherine Wentworth dead. Killing her off mid-sentence needs to be addressed.

....and finally. My continuation is about the Ewing family. My story focuses on Bobby, Ann, Sue Ellen, John Ross, the long forgotten half sister, Lucas, Ray, Margaret, Donna and the child everyone appears to have forgotten about, Cally's son or daughter.

....and lurking in the shadows is Katherine Wentworth, determined to restore order and rightfully challenge what her son, JR's son, should be part of....Ewing Oil.

...oops nearly forgot. Restore the internal layout of Southfork as it once was because Sue Ellen kept walking into Bobby's office thinking that's where the family were about to sit down for dinner.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1