Windsor Davies dies aged 88.

Discussion in 'Celebrity Scuttlebutt' started by Swami, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,363
    Medals:
    Windsor Davies: It Ain't Half Hot Mum actor dies aged 88
    • 5 minutes ago
    [​IMG]
    Image caption Windsor Davies (middle) starred alongside Don Estelle and Melvyn Hayes in It Ain't Half Hot Mum
    Actor and star of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Windsor Davies, has died.

Davies, 88, who was best known as the sergeant major in the TV series, died on Thursday, his family said.

Born in Canning Town, London, he returned to his father's home village, Nant-y-Moel in Bridgend county, when World War Two broke out.

His daughter Jane Davies said he and her mother, who died in September, left a family "who will all remember them with love, laughter and gratitude".

The couple, who has been married for 62 years, had retired to France. They had five children.

Davies and It Ain't Half Hot Mum co-star Don Estelle also enjoyed a number one hit in 1975 when they recorded a version of Whispering Grass in character, a novelty hit which sold more than one million copies.

[​IMG]Image Copyright @Tony_Robinson @Tony_Robinson

Actor Paul Putner said he was a "gifted actor" and "one of most generous, lovely blokes you could ever wish to meet".

[​IMG]Image Copyright

Although overshadowed by It Ain't Half Hot Mum, it ran for more than 60 episodes.

In 1978, Davies also starred in one-off BBC drama Grand Slam, which gained cult status and was still fondly remembered years later - gaining a new lease of life with a DVD release.

Davies was also the voice of Sergeant Major Zero in the 1980s sci-fi series Terrahawks. As well as stage appearances, he had roles in more than 20 films, including two Carry Ons.

But he will be remembered most fondly for playing Battery Sergeant Major "Shut Up" Williams in It Ain't Half Hot Mum, which ran for 56 episodes between 1974 and 1981.

Swami

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Superhero

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +7,363
    Medals:
    Another sad loss, he only appeared in two Carry Ons, but I always wish he had been part of them much sooner, in terms of the later Carry Ons he was one of the best new additions.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hugely enjoyed him in It Ain't Half Hot Mum. Rest in peace, Mr Davies. You are missed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Englishboy

Englishboy Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Medals:
    I will remember him best for his role as an antique dealer in the long running Thames tv sitcom, Never The Twain in the 1980s and early 1990s starring opposite Donald Sinden.

As has already been mentioned, he was a welcome addition to the Carry On cast, in particular in Carry On behind, in the 1970s.

Sad news but he lived a full life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,931
    Medals:
    I only have a vague memory of It Ain't Half Hot Mum and I didn't really watch Never The Twain but my memory of Windsor Davies was him performing Whispering Grass with Don Estelle on Top of The Pops.

6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Medals:
    RIP Windsor Davis

I remember him from It aint half hot mum too
    and for making the charts with Don Estelle and for La de da Gunnar Graham quote

I used to like the show when I was younger but I have a feeling it wont have dated very well!!

• Like Like x 1