1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Without The Ewings, Did Cliff Have Any Purpose To His Life

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +852
    This thread reminded me of this scene:

I don't remember much of Cliff's backstory written in the show, however I find it quite easy to believe that Pam really was the worse one of the two.

Maybe once Pam's hatred subsided, it fuelled Cliff's all the more - because all of a sudden, he was the only one who cared about the vendetta?

2. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    It looks like Pam matured and Cliff did not.

3. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Fan EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +418
    They definitely changed Cliff’s persona. The mini-series Cliff looks like he could stand up to Bobby in a fight as compared to what he became. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I do remember the first scene between Cliff and Bobby when Bobby lunged at him ( typical) and Cliff did not cower. I have always felt that at first yes Cliff did want to avenge his father but also saw the Ewings as this big evil he had to defeat like David vs. Goliath. Cliff did let his hate of the Ewings overrule his common sense like when he was head of the OLM and was close to destroying Ewing Oil. The law on the show was dumb. It said he would have to resign as head of the OLM if he was elected to Congress not merely running for it. Finally, Cliff should have been suspicous that all of a sudden there is this ground swell for him to run for Congress.

5. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I tried to think of a time when Ewing Oil, whoever was running it, came after Cliff when he hadn't done anything recently and I can't even think of one time. Cliff was so naive about that. One time I remember Cliff asking JR "why would you do that" after JR had set him up and JR responded: You needed to be slapped down. Cliff was of no interest to Ewing Oil unless he was doing something to them, that's why you didn't see the Ewings attack Cliff unprovoked.

I think Cliff may have started out with the purpose of avenging Digger, but after a while it became very noticeable that Cliff had other motivations. I think jealousy was his primary motivation. Getting out of what he knew (law and politics) and getting into the oil business just so he could try to make the big money in oil he never would have made in politics.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle EXP: 19 Years

Threads:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +9,448
    Cliff's turn towards homicidal mania in nuDALLAS should have been explained as being the result of long-term complications from his 1982 suicide attempt ("Doctor, are you talking about brain damage?") or late-onset neurofibromatosis-inspired brain lesions.

Ideally, both.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. lbf522

lbf522 Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I agree. Turning Cliff into a psycho in NuDallas made no sense and was never explained to us. It was awful to watch to see this man turned into a monster. Blowing up a platform with people standing on it is bad enough but with your pregnant daughter standing on it is evil. Then he disappears like a coward and when he shows up finally the first thing he says to his daughter (who could have been killed) is, "you have to forgive me".

If what I have read that Ken Kercheval was not coming back to the series, I don't blame him. They destroyed his character.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,351
    I don't know if the people who were responsible for it were ever asked about it in an interview where they explained their reasons for doing that. I guess the argument they could make is Cliff was never the picture of mental health to begin with, and he couldn't remain that angry and so consumed with bitterness without it eventually ruining his mental health. Still, I didn't find it appealing to watch, and based on most comments I've read here, neither did most people. Realistic does not necessarily equal entertaining.

• Agree Agree x 1