1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woman asked to stop breast feeding...in Mothercare

Discussion in 'The Lockdown Lounge' started by Sarah, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,781
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37836574

A mother has spoken of her shock at being told to stop breastfeeding her baby in the UK's best-known maternity store, Mothercare.

Zoe Frangou said she was "disgusted" by her treatment in a store at Bluewater, Kent, and was then "patronised" by the complaints department.

Mothercare apologised to Mrs Frangou and said it supported nursing mothers.

The firm said its policy was to allow customers to breastfeed their children anywhere on the premises.

It is carrying out an investigation into Mrs Frangou's complaint.

In a post on Mothercare's Facebook page Ms Frangou said she visited the store in September.

She said her baby was on antibiotics for an ear infection and had slept for five hours before waking up hungry.

She found an empty area of the shop and discreetly began to feed him.

She said an assistant "marched over" and told her to stop because they were "moving things around and it was dangerous".

'Saddened'
    She claimed the assistant "gave me a dirty look and walked away", when she protested.

Mrs Frangou said her complaint to the company was met with a pre-scripted apology.

"I am disgusted and find it completely unacceptable," she said.

Mothercare has apologised to Ms Frangou for the "disappointing" way she was treated.

It added: "We provide all our stores with our breastfeeding policy which clearly states our full support for nursing mothers.

"Our customers are welcome to nurse their children anywhere on the premises and for those who prefer some privacy, we provide comfortable feeding facilities.

"We are saddened to hear that on this occasion, our guidelines were not adhered and her complaint was not dealt with immediately.

"We are fully investigating this incident and will be making sure that all our store teams are aware of our breastfeeding policy and guidelines."

Women should be allowed to do this anywhere. Why there is even an issue with it, I have no idea.

2. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,734
    It's one of life's most natural things, for heaven's sake! Are we supposed to get angry with animal babies sucking milk from their mothers if we witness it? Of course not - but if human animals openly feed the babies, then it's "nasty".
    :rolleyes:

If people are so put off - just look away.

3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,404
    Sorry but i will disagree and say there is a time and a place and out shopping isnt one of them..
    My toes curled and i was cringing when a friend once did it with her sprog in a restaurant

Its not for me!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,781
    lol I laughed at your 'it's not for me ' lol lol

I think babies should be fed wherever and whenever they need to be. It's only a breast ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    I'm with you on this one, Sar.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Winner EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,734
    Only a breast, yes. And everyone has seen at least one pair in their life. ;)